General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Total Time = 6h 31m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Headed to Galveston early so that I could do a swim with other BTers at Lake 288 in Houston on Friday. I hadn't done an open water swim this season, nor had I done a swim in my new wetsuit and I wanted to get both in before the race. Got to meet some new BT folks and had lunch with Kathy and Kevin G as well as Rene (Catwoman) and a friend of mine.

Went to spectate Saturday's race, but did not stay long after the swim got cancelled. Went to the BT lunch Saturday and then racked my bike and got my stuff together for Sunday's race.

Woke up early Sunday morning to eat my oatmeal, make my breakfast shake, and prepare my Infinit for the race. Grabbed some extra nutrition to eat before the race start since I was in the last swim wave and not going off until 8:15 am.

Once I got to the race site, got body marked, layed out my gear, grabbed my swim stuff and extra nutrition and headed to the swim start. Put my wetsuit on early to help stay warm. By the time my wave hit the pier to go in the water I was freezing and jumping in the water actually felt warm.
Event warmup:

No warm up before the swim.
Swim
  • 50m 19s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

While I was looking forward to this swim to help me prepare for IMFL, I was expecting to do better. I have been improving my swim times in the pool and with the wetsuit, I figured I would have a decent swim time. I did not expect the wind and waves to beat me up as much as they did.

Starting in the last swim wave was mentally challenging as well. When our wave started and I saw lots of white caps pass me, I started thinking I was going to be one of the last swimmers out of the water. I didn't want to push too hard on the swim, so I just kept swimming my swim and dealt with it. It made me feel better when I passed a yellow swim cap by the third buoy. That meant I passed a swimmer from the wave in front of me.

After turning the corner to go across the bay, the swim seemed to get tougher. It seemed the wind and waves were heading me head on now and I felt at times I was crawling my way through the water. My form seemed to disappear and I had to keep focusing. I did eventually pass a few more yellow and a couple of red caps. I was glad to hit the ramp and stand up at the end.

Knowing that wetsuit strippers will be at IMFL, I decided to use them here and see how it worked. It worked great!

What would you do differently?:

Try to swim a little stronger from the beginning. I need to get in a lot more open water swims as well as more wetsuit swims before IMFL.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Considering the distance from the swim exit to transition and from my bike rack to the bike exit, I was happy with this time. I was fairly quick and was able to run the bike to the exit.

Being in my age group meant being racked closest to the run exit and having to run really far in bike shoes. Since I can't change that, I wouldn't change a thing.
Bike
  • 3h 22m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I had driven the course on Friday so I knew what to expect. I took it fairly easy getting out of the Moody Gardens area onto Seawall. Once on Seawall, I found a comfortable gear and took off. I didn't want to push too hard on the way out and blow up, so I was comfortable with 15/16 mph. I tried to drink my Infinit fairly often. I had all my nutrition with me so I was able to skip the aid station hand ups. And, I successfully changed my bottle from the downtube when empty to the rear cage and replace the downtube with a full bottle.

Once I made the turnaround, it seemed we had a tiny bit of a tail wind, although still mainly a crosswind. I was able to pick up my speed a little and continued to pass people when I could. As I got closer to the end, I continued to pick up the pace. Turning back into the Moody Garden grounds was right into a headwind, but I finished strong.

I missed a couple of planned long rides due to weather. I would have liked to have more long rides before the race.

I was happy with the way I executed the bike, but do hope that my training this summer will help me increase my average pace for IMFL.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Legs did not really want to move fast when I got off the bike, but I continued to run/jog to the bike rack. Quickly got rid of the bike gear and put on my run shoes. Thought about stopping at the port a potty but decided to see if I could make the run without it, so I headed on out.

Practice more bricks.
Run
  • 2h 13m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I think it helped that I was finally on the course with men and was finally not at the back of the pack from the late wave start.

I was able to run the first two laps without walking at all. Starting the third lap I started feeling a blister on my second toe on my left foot. I also started walking through the aid stations while drinking water or gatorade. I basically lived off the course. I did take two cliff shot blocks at mile 3, but my stomach felt a little weird after that so I didn't take any more. Gatorade and water and that was it. I also grabbed wet sponges at every aid station the last two laps.

Felt strong on the run and came in only about 16 minutes slower than my stand alone half mary PR. Was very happy with this run.

Try to run longer before walking through the aid stations. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.
Post race
Warm down:

As soon as I was done, I headed back to transition to get out of my running shoes and into flip flops so I wouldn't aggravate the blister anymore. I grabbed my camera and phone and headed back to the finish to wait for my friend to cross the finish. Drank two waters and stretched as I waited.

After he crossed, we headed to get a coke and some food and sit down for a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably not knowing exactly how hard I could push without crossing that line and blowing up.

Event comments:

This was a great race and I was pleased overall. I wanted to get a massage at the end, but when I went over there, they said there was an hour wait. More massage therapists would have been nice.

The 3 HIMs I've done have all been put on by Endorfun and I have been impressed with all of them. Very well done.

Last updated: 2009-12-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:19 | 2112 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:22:06 | 56 miles | 16.63 mile/hr
Performance:
Bike split 1 - 28 miles: 1:43:31 for 16.23 mph Bike split 2 - 28 miles: 1:38:35 for 17.04 mph
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Once you get out on the Seawall, the course is an out and back. The "out" part had been recently re-paved and was nice and smooth until San Luis pass.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:13:08 | 13.1 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Performance:
Lap 1: 30:49 (9:24 pace) Lap 2: 33:36 (10:15 pace) Lap 3: 34:17 (10:28 pace) Lap 4: 34:26 (10:30 pace)
Course: This was a four loop run course with lots of out and backs and chances to see people.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-04-26 10:16 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2010-04-27 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2818570

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Way to make it through a tough swim and put together a solid race!  Congrats!
2010-04-27 7:06 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Great race!

You executed well and it will serve you well training and racing for IMFL.

It was fun to see you throughout the weekend and race with you. I don't think I saw you at all on the run..how could that be?
2010-04-27 7:21 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Awesome job pushing through the swim and pacing yourself for a solid bike and run! 
2010-04-28 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
Congrats on your PR even with the tough weather conditions!!!
2010-04-28 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
awesome job!  yeah that swim kinda sucked!!! 

2010-04-28 9:46 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
yeah, was not a fan of that swim!! You did AWESOME though!! Well done--just hints of what is to come, great season starter!!
2010-04-29 6:04 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job on executing your plan!  Totally agree with you on the swim...I swear there were times I felt like I was going nowhere.  Good luck training for IMFL!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed