General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phoenician moving to Boston -- need some 411 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-27 10:38 AM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Subject: Phoenician moving to Boston -- need some 411
Hello MA BT'ers!
Been a BT'er since 2007 and am currently living in Phoenix, but will be relocating to Boston (Newton) June 1st.  Looking for some advice on the following:
(1) where to ship my bike? I have a Cervelo P2 -- know any great LBS that have a multi-sport slant?
(2) 2010 races starting in July/Aug that are local favorites -- Sprint/Oly only, anywhere in NE -- probably will not have enough time to train up for another HIM this year with the move.
(3) ride & tri groups in the Newton area

Thanks in advance!  Looking forward to Boston and meeting the MA group!
-Jonathan

Edited by Swank guy 2010-04-27 10:38 AM

2010-04-27 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2819557

Veteran
Subject: RE: Phoenician moving to Boston -- need some 411
Fast Splits in Newton or Landry's in Boston - would be my pref.

NE Sprint/OLY
Commonwealth Series does a great job - Cohasset, Marlborough, Nantucket - all sprints
Mooseman in NH is a great OLY
Cranberry is another great OLY
Gloucester has a great Sprint - changed RDs though so not sure who is doing it for 2010.

FIRM racing does a bunch of local races - different feel but if your in need of a race, they have them almost every other weekend and cheap.

I have decided to train on my own this year vs. a team.  I ride through Netwon 3 days a week, as I now commute 55 miles per day to and from work.  Happy to meet up in the early AM or evening.
2010-04-27 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
Welcome to Boston!   Check with Fast Splits in Newton http://www.fastsplits.com/  for shipping the bike.  They are a great store.    There is also  V3 Multisport in Arlington (for shopping when you get here).   We have lots of races here...Timberman and Graniteman are favorites, I'm doing the Black Fly Tri (all these are in NH)  Cranberry Tri in MA.  I'm sure some other people will be along shortly with other races.  This is only my 2nd season.  

As far as tri club/club rides go,  Dreamfar is a great tri club in the area, meeting every Saturday AM   http://triathlon.dreamfar.net/

Also the Charles River Wheelman is in the area for group rides  http://www.crw.org/index.htm

Happy packing and see ya when you get here

Seren
2010-04-27 12:14 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Welcome!

Why not ship your bike to yourself and put it together yourself and save some money?

Fast splits is great tri shop but can be a bit on the expensive side.

Lots of tri clubs in MA but best to find one that fits well with you. I live outside Boston more so my first hand experience isn't very helpful.

Lots of great places to train in MA and there are races every weekend often 2 or 3.

Cranberry Oly in late August is the unofficial MA BT get together race...if you want to meet lots of us sign up and race or come and hang out in our tent area. It will fill so if you want to race sign up sooner rather than later.
2010-04-27 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2819947

Veteran
New York
Hi there, I just recently moved to Boston myself (July 09). I live in Boston, work in Newton/Watertown.
Fast Splits is in Newton, my favorite Tri store in town, though V3 isnt bad either in Arlington. As for Bike Shops,

I'm part of the Wheelworks tri team, so of course i want to plug Belmont wheelworks as a bike store. Landrys, international bike, and Harris cyclery (of Sheldon Brown fame) are all nice bike shops.

When I looked for a team as guy in only my second season and being fairly slow, it came down to DreamFar and Wheelworks Multisport. In the end Wheelworks won out, and I'm thrilled with my experience so far.

Enjoy boston, its a lot of fun. 
2010-04-27 3:41 PM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Thanks all for the replys -- good stuff!

I'll look into Fast Splits in Newton.  I would ship and rebuild myself, but as part of the relo I will not have all my personal belongings until end of July... bummer.

I'm in for Cranberry OLY -- looks like my best timing and place to introduce myself in person to the MA BT'ers.

Would like to do Mooseman, but it is in the middle of relo -- probably 2011.  I have heard good things about it from friends in Phx.

Keep the suggetions coming... always best to hear it from the local community!

2010-04-27 4:38 PM

User image

Salem
hello and welcome!!

i grew up in boston, and am back temporarily (in exile, i jest)...but had been living in phx the last few years.

send me a pm if you wanna run/ride over the summer.  we can cry about how the mexican food here is crap.  =P

sweet bike, btw.  ive got an 08 p2c.  your color scheme is HOT!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Phoenician moving to Boston -- need some 411 Rss Feed