Enumclaw, Washington
United States
Active.com
Total Time = 3h 01m 57s
Overall Rank = 73/111
Age Group = 30 - 39
Age Group Rank = 19/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up on race morning and had my normal peanut butter and banana sandwich, vitamins and some water. Packed up me and the wife and headed out.
Event warmup:

The warm up was getting my spot ready and my wife’s spot ready and a little stretching. It was a chilly morning, nice out but chilly. We both had to use the restroom so we went and stood inline for that. WOW the porta potty I went into made me sick as a dog. I feel sorry for whoever had that bad of a morning before I went in but thanks you made me have to smell and taste my own acids and nastiness for the first little bit of the race. Not cool. I understand but man WOW…..
Run
  • 39m 36s
  • 5.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was nice. Started on a paved path and headed behind a fair grounds that was dirt and mud. Not the best because the day before it rained a little and the ground was real wet and muddy. That did not last long and we were on the roads. I was focused on trying in this race, or trying a little harder than I have in other races. I wanted to leave nothing on the table for me. I went out and found a nice running pace but knew I had more to give. I dug in a little and found a little more and wanted to pull in some runners as I went. It felt good. I was passing some folks and some were passing me it was fun. The other runs I have done I have been in a pocket where I am the only one around and that makes life tough at times. I continued to go and then turned this corner and bam out of nowhere a hill pops up. Man it was not a huge one but a small killer. I tackled it with all I had and then continued the race. They had a couple water stations on the course so that was nice. It was also well marked and people were there to guide you in the right direction. I began to find that fine line between my running and others running as I began to find the pocket of me and the pack way up in front of me and one a bit behind me. If the race would have been longer in this portion I would have been running alone again but I came back around the fairgrounds with a couple people and we hit the transition.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. If anything maybe new shoes and start closer to the front. I know only a little over 100 people in the race, but I think a big push by the fast guys wil help me get in the groove and push me to run just a touch faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I got in and got my stuff on with no problems. I was feeling good after the run and ready to ride my bike. All signes pointed to goodness.

Not much. Just better bike shoes. I think they noticed a new guy and sold me a nice pair but not ones good for a tri, I think I got the close out here ya go deal.
Bike
  • 1h 48m 58s
  • 28 miles
  • 15.42 mile/hr
Comments:

OK the bike. Well this is where life got interesting. I had a good plan to ride hard and have some fun. I wanted to keep up with some people and pass others knowing I would be passed, but it would make it fun to try and compete. I did ok for a while. My bike has had some issues as of late and I did not have time to get it in for maintenance before the race. I do not blame my performance on the bike at all but it was acting funny. Well I rode hard for me and was trying to find a good pace for what I can do. I quickly found out that on this race there are a lot of people who ride a lot. Not this guy I ride a lot but not like this. The night before me and my wife picked up our stuff and she looked at the map and told me it was a nice flat course. She told me while we were driving that here is the spot where we will come out of that road and that is the only hill we should have that is tough. Now then there is what she said and where we really went. There is a point in the race where if we went one way yes she would have been right or if we go the other way she is wrong. SHE WAS WRONG. We went the way of death. We began this climb up a hill and it was tough I won’t lie. After that hill another longer and steeper one came along. I was giving it all I had. By now I was breathing hard and pushing with all I had. I tried to soak one more gear out of my bike but it had to be in the easiest one because the shifter would not move. I was pushing with all I had. The bike was getting slower. I knew if I did not clip out I would fall over. I was now off the bike angry at myself for not being able to make the hill and was now walking my bike up. Yes I was that guy. Then I look at my bike for a second and notice I had a couple more gears I could have gone to. That would have been nice if it would have changed to the gears when I needed it to. It did not and I needed to move on. I walked the hill and crested it hoped back on the bike as I knew this day was now going to end bad for me. A very nice lady talked with me for a second and we told each other good job a couple times as she passed me and then I passed her and she passed me. This course has the great benefit of if you go up you have to come down. And down was awesome. Very awesome. I got on my aero bars and attacked the downhill as hard as I could. To the point I could not peddle any more. It was great. The second loop was more of the same me trying to go hard but not being able to go as hard as I wanted. I did however this time ride up the big hill so that was a bonus. Then the down hill again was great. For my first ride with hills I think I was ok.

I think fix my bike. I found out after that my back rim was bent a little and it was rubbing on my brake. Also maybe upgrade my bike a little to make it a little better. Not that it will help me much but any little bit I can get on the bike will help.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Did ok not great. I could not get my bike shoes off then went to go out of t2 and were I wanted to go out was the wrong shoot so I had to run to the other end of the T area and get on with my run.

Again better bike shoes with velcro rather than the system I have.
Run
  • 30m 28s
  • 3.8 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran well. Had to get my feet warm ang get going. That took a bit but once I found my stride I was on a good run for my ability. I was all alone noone in front of me or behind me. i dug down and told myself to keep going and find some people. I did. I ran hard and found a pocket of people and then my cross country instict from years ago kicked in. pull them in and go. I began to pull people in and then i saw a guy who passed me on the bike and we were closeing in on the end of the race. I told myself to go hard and try to out kick him. It was for my own mental well being to do this. I went hard and kicked in as best I could. I passed the guy and felt I had an ok race. I missed my target time but a half hour but I did not know what to expect from the bike run so that might have been a high goal for me.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

walk around a bit and get some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my bike rideing ability.

Event comments:

I like the event and will do it again. My wife also had fun on the short track and will also do it again.

Last updated: 2010-03-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:36 | 05.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/21
Overall: 60/111
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average