General Discussion Race Reports! » Duathlon Nationals, Off-Road version! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Duathlon Nationals, Off-Road version! - DuathlonXterra

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richmond, Virginia
United States
Sports Backers
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m 3s
Overall Rank = 27/59
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/12
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the race, short jog to warm up.
Run
  • 56m 57s
  • 6.84 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

My run went well, paced off of people I knew were strong runners till about the 3/4 mark of the course. I stayed focused on the trail when it turned to singletrack.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Bike
  • 1h 12m 18s
  • 21 kms
  • 17.43 km/hr
Comments:

Motored on the flat gravel sections and felt solid on the flowy singletrack. I dabbed twice on rock sections but cleaned everything else. Calves started to twinge with cramps about halfway through, but stretched them and all was well.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

This is where I DNF'd last year, felt good coming into T2 and had a good dismount at the bottom of the short hill and was off running.
Run
  • 15m 52s
  • 2.2 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off on the run well, then the legs began to feel wooden. About 3/4 of a mile to go, my left hamstring siezed. I stopped to stretch and massage it, started running again and it cramped again. repeat stretch/massage and then willed my body to go. Finished the run well after putting mind over matter.
What would you do differently?:

don't cramp.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my mom and son then cleared out my transition.

Event comments:

The 'championship' race and sport race were the same distance, started the same time, but were separated in timing. Why? why not score/time everyone the same since everyone was racing the same course. Is it too much to ask that distances be correct as advertised, especially a 'championship' race. Putting everyone ('championship' and sport) together, I was 26th out of 107 overall for males and 7 out of 24 in AG.

As always Richmond's James River Park trails did not disappoint, great urban trails system.

Last updated: 2010-04-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:56:57 | 06.84 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 35/59
Performance: Good
Course: Actual distance was 7.3 miles according to race director. Flat to start with a few hills starting at the midpoint. It's a "national" championship course, is it too much to ask for correct course distances?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:12:18 | 21 kms | 17.43 km/hr
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 24/59
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Regular XTERRA course, minus the Belle Island loop, we went across Lee Bridge and descended the 22nd St stairs. New Forest Hill trails are sweet.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:52 | 02.2 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 34/59
Performance: Below average
Course: Definitely shorter than the advertised 3.5k. It's a "national" championship course, is it too much to ask for correct course distances?
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-04-27 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
Subject: Duathlon Nationals, Off-Road version!

2010-04-28 6:16 AM
in reply to: #2820106

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Duathlon Nationals, Off-Road version!
I'm also curious as to what the actual bike distance was.  It should only be a few KM short of the XTERRA course, which last year was advertised as 26k, but had the shortened section through the first part of Forest Hill.

It doesn't seem to me like the extra distance through Belle would add ten minutes to the course, so I'm guessing that if they do send is through Belle in June, that the bike splits will be a few minutes faster than normal with the different Forest Hill loop.

Good showing out there on Saturday.. If I remember correctly, are you going to do the Eastern Championship this year? 
2010-04-28 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2820106

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
Subject: RE: Duathlon Nationals, Off-Road version!
Thanks, it was great seeing you out there.

I am doing Bath County Triathlon on the weekend of East Championships.  I have some unfinished business to take care of on the Bath County course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duathlon Nationals, Off-Road version! Rss Feed