General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 32m 35s
Overall Rank = 344/1326
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 65/217
Pre-race routine:

My wife and I arrived in Galveston at 3:30 on Saturday and we headed straight to Moody Gardens and picked up packet. I realized on the drive down that I had left my race belt and foot/GPS pod at home. Checked into the San Luis Hotel, unpacked and realized I had already lost my timing chip/strap. It must have fallen out of the bag at some point between packet pick-up and walking back to the car. I thought if this is a sign of things to come, I'm in trouble.

Girls in the hotel room next door to us came in at 2 am, went on the balcony and decided to scream to the world how drunk they were. They then made fun of the really drunk girl who couldn't get off the floor. I slept through most of this until I hear Bridgett say...what are they doing? I said "huh" and immediately went back to sleep, or so I am told.

Wake up at 4:50 am, eat a bagel, drink a coke and some gatorade. Eat a Clif kidz bar. Leave the hotel at 5:15. Transition set up was easy, especially not having to deal with the bike.
Event warmup:

Bridgett and I walked to pier to pick up a new timing chip. We sat around on the beach and I stretched a little bit. 10 minute stretch...I didn't want to swim, especially with the prospect of cutting my feet on the oyster bed. My brother-in-law made that mistake last year.
Swim
  • 39m 16s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Starting out, my goal was not to burn myself out on the swim. More often than not I'll push too hard in the swim and come out of the water with HR in Zone 1 hovering above 85%+ max. My goal was to pace myself and not go out too fast or try to finish too fast. It's the tortoise that wins the race.

Looking at the water and the trees, I figured the wind wasn't too bad and probably about the same as last year. I was wrong. It could have been worse...they could have cancelled the swim completely like they did the sprint/Oly yesterday. The wind was blowing parallel to the shore so for the longest portion of the swim (maybe 1000m) we were swimming almost straight into the wind. I drank a couple of gulps of water during the swim and sometimes the waves went over my head, which made me think "is that a wave or the jet ski's wake. Also, I felt like I was getting pushed around a bit by the waves and was hoping that I wouldn't get out of the water and be too dizzy. All-in-all it wasn't too bad...I wasn't sick when I got out of the water and I could slow jog into transition...but it definitely affected the speed of my swim.

In the end my swim split was probably a good 10 seconds per 100 yds slower than I wanted or 4 minutes slower than my goal time. Relatively speaking though, everybody was in the same boat and it's hard to complain about mother nature...it is what is.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

I think my transitions were slow today. I sat down to put on socks and shoes. I got new shoes 6 weeks ago and didn't feel comfortable going sockless. I didn't run out of the water...a slow jog and maybe some walking. I knew it was a long day and that it would be better to push harder once on the bike or on the run. Once I had myself and my gear right, I jogged out of transition and hopped on the bike with no problems.

Jog a little faster? Not wear socks, possibly.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 37s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.17 mile/hr
Comments:

I was looking forward to this part of the race. I really hadn't put any significant road time on my new bike and most was spent on the trainer. The bike road perfectly and I was comfortable during and after the ride.

In last and only other HIM I've done, I bonked on the run and was pretty sure it was the result of dehydration. Today, I drank close to a gallon of fluids on the bike, 3 bottles of endurox, 2 gatorade endurance and a bottle of water. I also had a clif bar and 4 gels. This is compared to the three bottles of fluids and the and sleeve of shot bloks and sports beans that I had at Ironstar. I had this one dialed in pretty close to perfect. No cramping, no dehydration.

The winds were mostly a cross wind and partially a headwind, which you would think on the way back there would be a crosswind with partial tailwind. I didn't feel it on the way back, at least not to the point I was hoping, which was to average 23-24mph on the way back. If I'd gotten my wish, I probably would have averaged 17-18mph on the way out. Ultimately, I was where I wanted to be.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Though I felt slow on both transitions, everything went pretty smoothly. Again I sat down to take off shoes and socks and then put on new socks and running shoes. Then, I decided to stop at the port-a-can and get rid of a portion of the gallon of fluids I drank. What felt like a 90 seconds contorting my body and stretching the tri suit was probably more like 45 seconds, who knows. I definitely felt much better afterwards.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 00m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I have to be happy with this run; I had no expectations and had no idea how this would end. Over the last three months since running the Houston Marathon on January 17th, I've only run 26 miles (0 miles in February) and never more than 5 miles at one time. Tendonitis in my left ankle (posterior tibialis) prevented me from running in February and through early-March and then spraining my right ankle twice within the three weeks before the race put a dent in any further training. As a result, I spent a lot of time on the bike and probably more than needed in the weight room.

I started out stronger than I thought and felt good from the beginning. I ran the entire time except through a handful of aid stations and up the last little hill/hump (15 yards uphill). I had a flask with 4 gels that I drank during the first 8 miles of the run and that helped. I drank mostly gatorade and I didn't have any cramps but started to have some soreness in my left knee beginning at mile 10, though not enough for me to start walking. I also felt like I was beginning to drag at the end though I pushed through the last mile finishing it at about 9:00 pace.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Laid down in the shade with Bridgett. Stretched the achilles. Wondered about how badly sunburned I would be the next day (backs of my shoulders hurt worse than any part of my body that's sore from the race). It's Texas and you're in the sun for hours...wear loads of sunblock. I wish my dog Anna was still around...my face, neck and ears were covered in dried sweat/salt and she would have loved it!! I'm happy Bridgett was there for the support; it makes a huge difference having family and friends there...just like Lone Star last year. In any event it was a good race and I was happy just to lay my head on her lap...gather my stuff and head home to pick up the kids from Grandma's house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The extra 15 lbs I had hoped to drop by April 24th. The fact that I had limited run training going into this.

Event comments:

Organization was good. Race route was good (flat). Volunteer support was good. I was disappointed in the post-race food, which was limited to pizza, bananas, pretzels, salad, and they had some cookies but you had to ask for them (and then they were disappointing cinnamon cookies of some sort). I missed the ice cream and cookies they had last year (oreos maybe)? Just felt like the selection was limited. The band they had was good. I'll do it again, especially knowing it's 2 weeks earlier in April 2011.

Last updated: 2009-10-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:16 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 53/217
Overall: 301/1326
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Hydrojohn
Course: Diagonal from pier about 600 meters, 270+ degree left turn swimming parallel to the beach about 1000m, then left turn swimming back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:28
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:46:37 | 56 miles | 20.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 58/217
Overall: 283/1326
Performance: Good
1st 28 mi = 19.23 mph 2nd 28 mi = 21.20 mph
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back along seawall and out past San Luis Pass.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:00:21 | 13.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 88/217
Overall: 513/1326
Performance: Good
1st 3.275 = 8:29/mi 2nd 3.275 = 9:03/mi 3rd 3.275 = 9:31/mi 4th 3.275 = 9:39/mi Miles: 8:09, 8:29, 8:45, 8:52, 9:02, 9:49, 8:40, 9:05, 9:42, 10:06, 9:37, 9:55, last 1.1 = 10:08
Course: 4 loops; unshaded; hot
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-27 1:37 PM

User image

Houston, Texas
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2010-04-27 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2820260

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
great job man.  that swim was a pain in the a$$. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed