General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nation's Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-09-12 2:48 AM
in reply to: #2821666

User image

Subject: RE: Nation's Triathlon : Official Thread
and here we go! Good luck everyone.

I hope this drizzle quits by 8:00 though

2010-09-12 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
Rain... Rain... and just when you think you are done..... More Rain. Despite the wetness, I had a great race. I hope that you all did as well. For anyone out there who shouted "GO ARMY!!" today. Thank you. I was too tired to say anything back.
2010-09-12 4:45 PM

User image

Holy COW. The driest thing in my bag at the end was my wetsuit. Not kidding. I've just now thawed out.
2010-09-12 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3093754

User image

Master
Raleigh
TROGDOR - 2010-09-12 3:34 AM Rain... Rain... and just when you think you are done..... More Rain. Despite the wetness, I had a great race. I hope that you all did as well. For anyone out there who shouted "GO ARMY!!" today. Thank you. I was too tired to say anything back.

You looked strong passing me on the run! Great to chat with you in transition (I was 802)

And yes the Embassy Suites probably hates me...i brought all my crap in the room post race and just dumped it...oh and also got my money's worth and gave the bike a wipe with a towel =) lots of grass... 

Edited by halfpint 2010-09-12 7:46 PM
2010-09-13 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Was a tad....damp...

But I had a ball!
I thought the course was great and despite the rain the roads were in good shape.
I learned a few things about what I would do differently in another rainy race.
As this was my first Oly...it was a PR.
Ha! But better, I beat my stretch goal by 5 minutes! 
Happy! 
2010-09-13 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3094830

User image

DC

I learned a few things about what I would do differently in another rainy race.
As this was my first Oly...it was a PR.
Ha! But better, I beat my stretch goal by 5 minutes! 
Happy! 

That's the spirit. I actually met mine too--but my goal was based on a summer of mostly "junk mileage". I would have actually beat THAT goal & would have been closer to my A race goal had I not spent double the amount of time in transition & scarred to go fast on the bike (my strength).

Anyway, my calendar is set for 12-1-10--registration for 2011's race. 

2010-09-13 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3094896

User image

Master
Raleigh
Porfirio - 2010-09-12 9:35 PM had I not spent double the amount of time in transition & scarred to go fast on the bike (my strength). 

*~ding~* that's me exactly. I'm a slow swimmer and runner. I usually make up time on the bike, but in the rain, I was only giving it about 70% so to not turn into carnage. So that factor held back my final results. Also my T times sucked!!! had to be the rain... 
2010-09-13 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3095199

User image

DC
*~ding~* that's me exactly. I'm a slow swimmer and runner. I usually make up time on the bike, but in the rain, I was only giving it about 70% so to not turn into carnage. So that factor held back my final results. Also my T times sucked!!! had to be the rain... 

Whilst we griping in this constructive manner, putting on a full-body wetsuit while soaking wet is apparently not a good idea. I never really got my full range of motion b/c the suit just didn't sit properly. Damn! I shot for a 30 min. swim & ended up w/a 35 min. In hindsight, no wetsuit would have been the better route.

BTW, noticed several dudes on the run w/really bad (nasty bloody) gashes from bike crashes. Then, there were those walking back, during the bike, due to destroyed wheels--from crashes.
2010-09-13 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3095420

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Porfirio - 2010-09-13 12:55 PM

Whilst we griping in this constructive manner, putting on a full-body wetsuit while soaking wet is apparently not a good idea. I never really got my full range of motion b/c the suit just didn't sit properly. Damn! I shot for a 30 min. swim & ended up w/a 35 min. In hindsight, no wetsuit would have been the better route.

BTW, noticed several dudes on the run w/really bad (nasty bloody) gashes from bike crashes. Then, there were those walking back, during the bike, due to destroyed wheels--from crashes.

Which wave were you in?  I lucked out and was in wave 4 so it was pretty clear.  When we made the turn around at Clara Barton I could see people headed out and it looked like things were getting a bit more crowded. 
2010-09-13 1:00 PM

Gotta say this was my best race ever, despite the rain.  I will try for a proper RR but suffice it to say that the chillyness that I felt lead me to put the wetsuit on, if only to be warm on land, which likely helped out in the swim.  The transition was HUGE so a 4 min t1 is not too bad.  I couldnt see AT ALL through my glasses on the bike, which slowed me some, but I only missed 22mph avg by 15 seconds. (Saw LOTS of flats on CBPW; even one burly dude running with his bike over his shoulder whilst carrying his wheels.) And my run was my absolute best ever.  I was actually passing people!!! It is not hyperbole to say that this has never happened before!  I worked hard this year on my run and am SO happy.  I wasn't fast, couldnt break 2:30, but, nevertheless, all-in-all best race ever.
2010-09-13 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3095449

User image

DC

Which wave were you in?  I lucked out and was in wave 4 so it was pretty clear.  When we made the turn around at Clara Barton I could see people headed out and it looked like things were getting a bit more crowded. 

I was also 3/4th wave. But the issue wasn't so much the crowd as it was the rain. Transition area was an excellent size w/plenty room. And I don't mind there being a lot of cyclist as I normally pass them w/ease (Tongue out) it's just hard/scary to pass them when you risk slipping. 

Rain aside, I agree w/everyone's general consensus: Excellent race which no doubt is attributed to the excellent organization! (Burritos for recovery food: need I say more?)

2010-09-13 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
I'll have to say that I had an awesome time. I give great thanks to my wonderfull who also walked down in the rain with my 7 1/2 month old son. Now he had a plastic cover on that stroller, and she had a poncho, but they stood steady until I got done. But overall, got to carry my son through his first triathlon at the finish line, and that was awesome. Wohhoo!!

Bike course was really wet, but if you kept focus down the eisle, you should of been good. Shrap turns were definitively supper slow, say 3 mph, but managed. Had a great time with my new Christmas bike, and she handled really well.

Swim course was OK. I was in wave 9. Had a great start through about 300m, then started running into a whole lot of people. Tried to not run over to many people, but it was definitively challenging. Seemed that my eye-sighting was mostly for were to dodge ball, than anything else. Did it in 23 minutes, so happy. Not my best, but good for the conditions.

Run was OK, wet shoes, and blisters from that, but overall, had a blast. Great job to everyone else. Cheers!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nation's Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3