West Deptford RiverWinds
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 28m 23s
Overall Rank = 66/174
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Pick Dad up, grab a bagel and PB and drive to the site.
Event warmup:

Stay inside the registration room and stay warm. It was freezing cold and raining and just generally miserable. Pool wasn't open for practice swim and didn't have any desire to go for a spin or jog.
Swim
  • 07m 46s
  • 375 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

They had a volunteer problem so no lap counters this year. Not wanting to inadvertently short my laps I decided to take a split on my watch on the 100's. When I hit the 1st one at 1:49 I was shocked at the time (for me!) and how easy it felt. If I didn't have some lane spacing issues with the guy in my lane which caused me to close to the lane line a few times my time would've been faster as I lost my rhythm a few times because of it.
What would you do differently?:

Just push harder as I can swim any of the sprint distances easy and it's time to start pushing to gain some time at this point.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Felt slow as anything but I was 27th fastest so not too bad. Didn't help that in the 50 minutes I was in the pool area waiting to get in the pool it had been pouring and everything was flat out soaked!

Probably not much as the weather would've wrecked any plan I had.
Bike
  • 52m 5s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 16.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Well this was just awful. I know, anyone who looks at my biking logs since October would say what do you expect and I'd agree. For some reason I thought I'd be able to hold near to my almost 20 mph averages at the end of the season last year without putting in any time in the saddle. Boy was that obvious lesson learned. Basically I knew I had nothing about 1 mile in and then the fact that my legs/feet were basically frozen popcicles couldn't have helped. Tried to push it a bit when I could but didn't really make a difference. Also weird not having many bikes around you as the pool start really strings out the competition and you just don't see many folks.

Train just a little?
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Very slow as my feet and hands were frozen and not real functional at first. Eventually got my shoes on and tied and looked up and didn't even see Jared around transition so I knew I had some work to do on the run to catch him to ensure I beat him (he started about 2 minutes ahead of me in the pool).

Not sure.
Run
  • 24m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Like I said started running and just no Jared in sight so not sure how far ahead of me he was. Feet were still a bit frozen so started off a bit slow. Around 1 mile I finally caught a glimpse of him on a straightaway and picked it up a bit to reel him in. Caught him and went by in a hurry so he didn't feel like he could keep up. After that I could feel just a bit in my calves (from the cold) so didn't want to really push the pace but definitely had another minute or so in me if I wanted to push it.

Maybe push hard all the way through but I knew the bike wrecked my race so didn't want to injure a calf just because.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Dad, went into the building, saw some warm Papa John's so had a piece of that, changed into dry clothes and got out of dodge. No one was in the mood for staying around as we were all soaked and cold.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike Training.

Event comments:

Decent race and not sure if I like the pool swim from a competition stand point since you never have any idea if you're ahead or behind anyone.

Last updated: 2010-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:46 | 375 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/174
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool Swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:05 | 14.3 miles | 16.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/174
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat and roads in decent condition.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal