General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 57m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My wife, Kristina, and I flew into Houston Friday from Philly. Stayed at the Inn at the Waterpark which was 1/2 mile walk to transition and $99 a night. Found a good place to eat up on the Sea Wall called Landry's. Highly recommend it. All of the other food we had in Texas was below average including the two restaraunts at Moody Gardens.

Race day: up at 4:45 AM. Had my standard race day meal of PBJ with an orange vitamin water and a banana. Headed over to transition and got numbered, pumped up the tires, put on some sunscreen, hit the porto john once or twice, checked my transition over and over, and headed to swim start.
Event warmup:

Our wave was to go off at 7:45. So we just hung out at the swim start beach for an hour. I did a short jog and stretched about 20 minutes before my start.
Swim
  • 39m 42s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim wasn't too bad except for the chop on the back - long section of the course.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing that I could improve on with this swim was my sighting. I need to train myself to come up out of the water a few more inches without breaking my swim stride too much. When I would site, I would be looking for the yellow and orange buoyies, but I was also seeing the yellow and orange/red bathing caps of the waves I had caught up to. This is a common problem for me, and since I can't expect race directors to discontinue these color caps -- I have to adjust my sighting technique to get up higher out the water to see the buoyies better. I may have been able to shave :30 up to a minute if I swam a straighter path on the course. I felt good coming out of the water, and overall was happy with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

OK, so there is apparently a new push by the organizers of the Ironman events to outlaw having your bike shoes allready clipped into the pedals as you run out of T1. This according to one of the officials I talked to prior to the race in transition. I normally have them clipped in and run in barefeet out to the mount line. So, I followed his directions and ran with the shoes on.

The only way I could have shaved more time off T1 would be to get the socks on quicker. For half's and full's, I always wear socks. I can't sweat the T1 time.
Bike
  • 2h 58m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.77 mile/hr
Comments:

A few seconds out of T1 and I looked down at the computer and saw that it wasn't working. Stopping to adjust the sensor on the fork wasn't an option, and I could only assume that that was the issue. So I put that frustration out of my head quickly and rode by feel. As it turns out, I probably should have pushed it harder.

I checked my computer the day before when I checked the bike in, and it was working. I should have double checked on race day. Maybe I could have pushed harder, but....
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 13m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, my run was not good. I was at about .5 miles out of T2 and I felt my right hamstring grab on me. I knew then that it was going to be me against leg cramping for the next 2 hours! I had this issue at Louisville last fall, where I had no choice but to do the ironman shuffle (mostly walked), because the leg muscles were seizing up on me. I did another full two months later at B2B, and had no cramping. The only difference in my nutrition was that I now subsidize with a calcium-magnesium supplement daily. I thought that was the trick, but the muscles were telling me otherwise. The rest of the half marathon was a run-quick walk routine. It was very hot out there, and the volunteers and those cold sponges kept me as cool as possible.

I would love to know why I have had nearly identical leg issues at two of my last three races. I drank a lot on the bike with gatorade being the majority of it. I had some potasium (banana pre race and one during the run), I supplement with the calcium/magnesium (and took a few extra leading up the the race). One of my wife's friends was racing too, and she told me she downed a ton of salt tablets during the race. Maybe that would have made the difference for me? It is frustrating especially since my run training leading to this race was excellent.
Post race
Warm down:

I was happy to be done. My wife, her friend and I headed over to the pizza tent for some grub. We sat in the shade and unwinded for about 45 minutes, and then looked at the race times and headed to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Going into this race, I felt prepared with the swim and the run, but I knew my bike training was behind schedule. I normally ride outdoors all winter, but this year we got 6+ feet of snow. I had maybe 2-3 45+ mile bike rides before this race. I enjoyed the race even though the legs were cramping, etc. but I doubt I will do a long race again so ealry in the season.

Event comments:

This was my third ironman organized race, and all have been well done. At each, I'd say my only complaint is the lame food afterwards.

Many thanks to the army of volunteers!

Last updated: 2010-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:42 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: half/sleeveless
Course: triangular
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:58:59 | 56 miles | 18.77 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Boring but beautiful ride along the Seawall / coast of Galveston. Wind was an issue heading out, and most of the people I talked to expected the wind to be at our backs on the way in. It didn't really feel like it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:13:24 | 13.1 miles | 10m 11s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: 4 x 3.3 mile course that weaved around the resort.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-29 2:04 PM

Veteran
Wyndmoor, PA
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2010-04-30 5:43 AM
in reply to: #2826203

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Nice job on the race despite the computer and leg cramping issues!  Agree it was a well run event, but pizza post race?  Not so good.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed