General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 04m 9s
Overall Rank = 144/1570
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/245
Pre-race routine:

I forgot the charger for the garmin and it was on the whole day so I had very little battery life. That was stupid.

We stayed at the host hotel so the walk to transition was short. Woke up at 4:53 and brewed a cup of coffee while getting in the shower. Drank 2 cups and ate a Honey Stinger Energy bar. I had been taking salt tabs as supplements on friday and saturday before the race.

I used the facilities int eh room and headed to transition at about 5:40. Got body marked and set up everything on the bike. About an hour before my start time, I ate one more Honey Stinger energy bar. I used the port-o-cans and walked to the swim start.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 44m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was looking to swim between 39 and 40. When I saw the water and the wind direction, I told someone it would make it a 44 minute swim. I was dead on accurate with that one.

I felt really good in the water. I was breathing well and not overly excited. I really got into a nice rhythm for a while and felt long in the water.

The clear goggles helped with siting but the sun on the way in was really bright. I did not want to breath into the chop, so I just dealt with the sun.

Some drafting, a little stopping to avoid wrecks and site, but overall, I was happy with the swim.

Buoy to buoy without negative thoughts about getting into duathlon.
What would you do differently?:

swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

This was a long transition area so my time was good. The wetsuit came off fairly easily and I executed my best bike mount yet. Barely stopped, pushed with the left foot and jumped on.

nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was good. I was pushing, but comfortable going out. I expected to be faster but the tailwind didn't really kick in until the last 20 miles so my average coming back wasn't as high as I expected.

I never cramped. I did sit up to stretch a few times but I staying in aero 98% of the time. It was smooth and fast. I took in 3 Stingers and 2 salt tabs. Got bottle hand ups and rode well.

I just need to ride more and get some more miles under my belt to go a bit faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

This transition was slower than normal. I took a few extra seconds to make sure my bike was stable because of the winds. I also made sure my helmet wouldn't blow away or get crushed by other bikers coming in since I was on the end of the rack.

And, because I was only going to wear the garmin on the run, i took some extra time to make sure it caught the satellite signal.

wear the garmin the whole race.
Run
  • 1h 35m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my best run at this distance by far. All the winter run training paid off huge dividends. I went a little fast the first loop but held on the last three for a good result. Split paces per loop were 7:07, 7:17, 7:23, 7:23. Miles 8-11 were slow as I was struggling to keep pace.

Push harder from 8-11 and not go so fast the first 3.
Post race
Warm down:

stopped moving.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

wind

Event comments:

Good race. it was meant as an early season test and I did better than expected. I am happy with the result. it was my best percentage placement at this distance yet.

I'll be in the top 10% soon enough!

Last updated: 2010-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:17 | 2112 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 110/245
Overall: 630/1570
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Sleeveless
Course: counterclockwise, out 600m, across 1000m, in 300m. The across was into the wind and chop. Slowed it down by about 4 or 5 minutes in my estimation.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:40:43 | 56 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/245
Overall: 195/1570
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back along the water. Wind was cross/headwind going out and cross/tailwind coming back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:35:32 | 13.1 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/245
Overall: 90/1570
Course: 4 loops. lots of turns. crowded on laps 3 and 4. Good aid stations with lots of water and sponges.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-29 4:25 PM

Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

2010-04-29 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2827010

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
Very nicely done. Just a little improvement in your swim and bike placing and you'll be challenging for AG spots.

I've got the bike power and I'm working on the swim, but I'll never run that fast for a 1/2!
2010-04-29 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2827010

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
Great race, especially under some windy and hot conditions!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed