My Angel Foundation
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 17s
Overall Rank = 92/186
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 9/13
Pre-race routine:

This is a fun race that I don't take too seriously except for the cause. I spent most of the pre-race chatting to folks, revisiting friends that I hadn't seen in a while, and taking pictures and stuff. I was going on an empty stomach (on purpose) and getting the family together since everyone ran. I was supposed to run the 10K but the race organizer needed my help with some stuff about 40 minutes after race start, so I did the 5K instead. I wore a long-sleeve Dri-Fit under my team shirt - mistake.
Event warmup:

The start line is about 1/4 of a mile away from the finish/staging area and I ran out to it, but there was another wait out there, so I am not sure how much that did for me. Stretched a little while I waited.
Run
  • 30m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out and had fun. I chatted with folks I knew, folks I didn't know, volunteers, cops, etc. I would run along with someone I came up to and chat a bit and then move on. My friend Andy caught up to me at about the 2.5 mark and we decided to run the rest of the way in together. I got way too hot with the Dri-fit, but last year I was way too cold. Flipping spring in Iowa.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing except not wear the Dri-Fit. The point of this race is to raise organ donor awareness and remember organ donors and those that have died awaitinbg a transplant. I don't do this race to PR (though I did becasue it was my first 5K since I seriously started working on all things running). New PR was 30:17 vs 35:04 last year - so that's, what, 4:47 improvement or 1:32 per mile? Goal is better than 9 minutes per mile by August 1st.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a water and a powerade. Grabbed a banana and a cookie. Chatted with more folks and checked on all our team members to see how they finished (#1 overall female 5k, #1 overall female 10K,and #1 Male 40-49 10k were all TFT athletes). Talked to a couple of kids that I had in one of my Driver's Ed Organ Donation classes that came to race because of the class I gave (which was definitely the highlight of my day). Two 14 year olds that finished the 10k in 40:12 ans 44:05.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just more running time and getting my legs stronger and being able to turn over faster.

Event comments:

Other than forgetting the mile markers, it was good. This race grows so much each year (150 more participants this year than last) and they do a great job of adjusting and learning. They run a 10k, a 5k and a 5k walk and they had over 600 participants this year.

Last updated: 2010-01-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:17 | 03.1 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/13
Overall: 92/186
Performance: Good
Course: The course is just a set of gentle rollers through a neighborhood. Lots of turns and lots of small up and then small down. Overall, it's pretty flat in general parlance, but you are almost always slightly going up or slightly going down. They forgot to put out the mile markers and the volunteers didn't realize the necessity of telling folks where they are on the course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %nil
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-01 6:38 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: C.A.R.E 10K for Organ Donation

2010-05-04 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2830626

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: C.A.R.E 10K for Organ Donation
Well done. Congrats on the PR, too. Almost 5 minutes in a 5K is phenomenal.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » C.A.R.E 10K for Organ Donation Rss Feed