Koz Enterprises
60.8F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 51m 42s
Overall Rank = 5/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Get up, pack up, drink some coffee and a Clif Bar.
Event warmup:

Ran one loop easy backwards (~15 min.). Porta-potties and stretch.
Run
  • 05m 50s
  • 1.03 miles
  • 05m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Just tried to keep it manageable. Watch was showing 5:30s and figured that was fast enough. Heart rate felt elevated. Eased up in last stretch, hoping to keep things in check for start of bike.
What would you do differently?:

Be in better shape so I could run faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

Left shoes on pedals. Had a good spot in transition, so it was really fast. Kicked off shoes while putting on helmet. Grabbed bike and ran out.

Everything went pretty well here. Maybe rubber band my shoe to the rear skewer? All-in-all, I can't complain. It was a sub-30-second transition. Great rack location helped!
Bike
  • 25m 11s
  • 9.1 miles
  • 21.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt tough from the start. Usually in duathlons, my heart rate is elevated from the first run. Today was no exception. Checked HR as soon as I got into shoes and it was 166. I need to be below 160 or I'll blow up before too long. Couple that with some unexpected wind conditions - and the fact that my legs were dead from long ride the day before - and it was mostly a miserable ride. I passed a couple of people early and then got passed by two riders late on the second loop.

If I were really trying to peak for this race, I probably wouldn't do a 100-mile ride the day before (or run a marathon two weeks prior). This was just a planned quick, fun, hard training race since it's right here in town. No expectations and I promised myself I wouldn't get too worked up about any of the results. It was just a good chance to work on some stuff. That being said, I guess I should have raced the full triathlon, but a 400m swim? Why bother? I like doing the duathlon at these sprint events since you start in the first wave and don't have to deal with the wetsuit, wave start, etc. Besides, swimming is not my strong suit. I'm much more competitive in the run/bike/run events.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Another quick transition. Dismount went very well (no lost shoes). Run to timing mat was a bit farther, so transition time was a bit longer than T1. Still 45 seconds is not bad. Just rack the bike, take off helmet, put on run hat, slip on Newtons (no socks). I'll take it. First perfectly executed dismount in a while (and right in front of a bunch of friends there to cheer...yes!). I usually stop too suddenly and almost take out someone in front, or struggle to get one foot out, or get caught up on a rear water bottle swinging a leg over, or lose a shoe and have to go pick it up...awkward. Today, everything went very well :) Only thing was that we had to run in with bike while T1 athletes were swarming all around the place. Had to dodge em a bit, but didn't really lose any time.

This one went well. Maybe just move a bit faster.
Run
  • 19m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Knew this was going to be a tough run. Just coming back from the marathon and with a long ride the day before, the idea was just to hang on. Of course, coming off the bike, there were a couple of people in sight, so there's no real holding back. I had passed someone in transition before we even got to the run and then I caught the first runner within the first half mile. There was one more runner in sight and a course Marshall told me there were 3 more, way up ahead. I was in 5th and it looked like there would only be one more spot to be gained. I caught up to the 4th place runner at just about the 1 Mile sign. He picked up his pace to stay with me and turned and asked what age group I was in. I said "40" and he said "me too." Great. We had a race and I was already feeling pretty cooked. I tried to shake him right there, but he was hanging tough. I had come up on him pretty quickly, but he sat in right behind me for quite a while and then made a break with a mile to go. I tried to cover the move, but just didn't have anything to go with him. He put some more time into me and I just tried to stay close. He had opened up about 30 yards with a 1/2 mile to go and never looked back. There was too much of a gap to ever make it a sprint finish. When I turned the last corner he was crossing the finish.

Try to cover the move a bit better. Still, he put 19 seconds into me in the last mile and I ran it faster than 6:19. I don't think I had a sub-6 in me at that point.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around. Eat fruit, bagels and muffins. Chat with people. Hang out for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No taper (13 days post-marathon, 101 mile ride the day before).

Event comments:

This is a good beginner race. The odd windy conditions made for a different bike course than the one we normally train on, but I wasn't really in condition to expect a great result. Still, I can't complain with a podium finish and 5th place overall, considering the limited recovery. This was just a fun race to use as practice and I ended up with an extra medal.

Last updated: 2010-03-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:05:50 | 01.03 miles | 05m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
5:39 pace Ave HR: 163 Max HR: 171
Course: Out & back with a couple of 180-degree turns.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:29
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:25:11 | 9.1 miles | 21.68 mile/hr
Ave HR: 154 Max HR: 170
Wind: Some
Course: Out and around Fiesta Island (one big loop, one small loop). Wind was weird today. Not windier, just coming from the opposite direction from what we normally expect. Just goes to show that our TT out there a couple of weeks ago was during pretty good conditions. I was over 24 mph for the 20k then and struggled to maintain 21 today. Of course, the 100+ mile ride yesterday may have had something to do with it, too.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:29 | 03.1 miles | 06m 17s  min/mile
6:16, 6:08, 6:19, last .1: ~6:01 pace Ave HR: 168 Max HR: 173
Course: Two loops. About half concrete sidewalk, half dirt path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes