2010-05-02 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2832172

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-05 5:34 AM

New user

Subject: RE: Trouble getting motivated.
That's weird...I accidentally wrote the title and realized I was in the wrong forum, so I canceled it, but I guess it went through anyway.  Weird thing is, I just got notified this morning...Maybe a gmail screw up...

Oh well!  I guess it can't hurt to post here too!

I'm having a hell of a time getting motivated because I've been sick so much this year.  In contrast, the last time I was sick was in 2003 with the flu.  I barely had so much as a runny nose in seven years, and never missed a full day of work.  I've always had the immune system of a brick wall.

Since my wife and I brought home our first sniffle machine we affectionately call "Son", I've been sick FIVE times this calender year.  It's hit me really hard since I'm not used to being sick, and I'm finding it VERY difficult to get to the gym, downstairs on the trainer, or even to throw on the running shoes.

Any help from other folks that worked their way through this type of thing?

Thanks!
2010-05-05 7:00 AM

Master
Midcoast Maine
Having kids exposes you to all kinds of new germs...my sick-count definitely went up with the introduction of the germ machines into the house. Which is to say - it's perfectly normal for you to be sick more frequently now.

Now - about that motivation...do what you can. Just get out the door. If you can put your running shoes on and tell yourself, "I've only got to run a mile, then I can come home," you've already won the battle. Once you are out the door - do what you feel like doing. I have found that once I get started - it is much easier for me to finish the complete workout I have planned.

So, seriously - just go. Just get on your bike shorts, clip into the pedals and tell yourself you're going for a spin around the neighborhood and see how it feels. The next day, put on the running shoes and tell yourself you're just going to run a mile and the evaluate. The third day, get your swimsuit on and dive into the pool and tell yourself you will do 10 laps. See how it feels. Even a little bit won't hurt - and you may be surprised at how you feel at the end.

Good luck - it's hard, but oh so worth it. (Ack! That's totally a "that's what she said" moment.)

x2 keeping logs or signing up for a race.
2010-05-05 3:58 PM

New user

Thanks.  I appreciate the help.

I finally got myself to do some pushups and pullups at work, so that's a start.  (I'm really enjoying bodyweight exercises right now.)

I have to finish putting my brother in law's bike together tonight , then after the mucus factory goes to bed, I AM going to get on my bike downstairs and ride.
2010-05-05 7:06 PM

York, PA
Don't feel too bad bud, I have a 4 year old and one that arrived March 30th.  I usually never got sick either.  This year has definitely been a "bug" year.  I've been knocked down 3 times so far.  Buy a Triathlon DVD, like "Through the eyes of the elite" and watch that.  That normally motivates me.  That or I'll walk around all day at work calling myself a wussy.  Cool

2010-05-06 4:52 AM
in reply to: #2839936

New user

JDW - 2010-05-05 8:06 PM   That or I'll walk around all day at work calling myself a wussy.  Cool

Laughing Hahahaha...That one got me...

Thanks for the encouragement folks...The little man's cough is almost gone, as is mine...So off to the gym tonight!
2010-05-06 11:30 AM

Veteran
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hey there!

There's lots of threads on here about whether or not to workout when you are sick.  I don't because I think it delays my recovery, and I don't enjoy the workout.  (ya... I'm a bit of a wus in that respect).  But when I take the time off to recover (this week, for instance), it is challenging to find the motivation to restart.

Read what @Itsallrelative wrote above.  She is ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY right.  Just get yourself out the door.  Make no commitments on pace, duration, HR, anything.  Tell yourself, "I'm going to go for a run, but if I'm tired after five minutes, I'm going to turn around and go home."

But you won't.  And you'll be pleased with what you did.  You will remind yourself that you can do this stuff.  And you will be motivated to do it again tomorrow.

Now, regarding the snot machine, I recommend a surgical mask on the boy.  Apparently, duct tape, while more effective, is a felony offense.Wink
2010-05-06 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2841430

New user

StevenK - 2010-05-06 12:30 PM Hey there!

There's lots of threads on here about whether or not to workout when you are sick.  I don't because I think it delays my recovery, and I don't enjoy the workout.  (ya... I'm a bit of a wus in that respect).  But when I take the time off to recover (this week, for instance), it is challenging to find the motivation to restart.

Read what @Itsallrelative wrote above.  She is ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY right.  Just get yourself out the door.  Make no commitments on pace, duration, HR, anything.  Tell yourself, "I'm going to go for a run, but if I'm tired after five minutes, I'm going to turn around and go home."

But you won't.  And you'll be pleased with what you did.  You will remind yourself that you can do this stuff.  And you will be motivated to do it again tomorrow.

Now, regarding the snot machine, I recommend a surgical mask on the boy.  Apparently, duct tape, while more effective, is a felony offense.Wink

Great advice everyone...You've gotten me back in the spirit...I'm doing my own gym tri tonight...Swim for a while, dry off, bike for a while, then run for a while. 

Like you guys said, no goals, except to do all three.

P.S. - The walking germ distribution facility took off the surgical mask approx. .5 seconds after putting it on.  It will NOT be tolerated.
2010-05-06 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2841991

Master
Midcoast Maine
DS.qcct - 2010-05-06 3:36 AM
StevenK - 2010-05-06 12:30 PM Hey there!

Read what @Itsallrelative wrote above.  She is ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY right.

P.S. - The walking germ distribution facility took off the surgical mask approx. .5 seconds after putting it on.  It will NOT be tolerated.

Why thank you! Finally - someone who understands me Wink.

Yeah - surgical mask - not going to happen here either. We had a hard enough time with the hats for sun protection.

Good luck on the (mini) tri!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble getting motivated. Rss Feed