United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 2510/5326
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 236/582
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal and coffee for breakfast at 6am. Met up w/ Noel and drove down together - a bit of water on the ride down.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, waiting for porta potties...
Noel and I wanted to break 2 hrs. We decided that we'd go for it but if one of us didn't feel well (my knee, her hip) the other one should keep going. We were ready, rested and focused - or so I thought.
Run
  • 2h 22m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

So the plan was to go out right around the 4 hr. marathon pace group and hang w. them. The beginning was insanely crowded - 10,000 runners lined up on a boardwalk does not make for the easiest of starts. Anyhow, I started not feeling great before mile 1. First mile was about 9:45, then next 2 were a bit faster but should have still been comfortable. It wasn't. I was getting dizzy and nauseus already and started thinking it was gonna be a long day. Aid stations were @ 1.5 miles apart and I was done w/ 2 out of 4 bottles on my race belt by mile 3. A bit after mile 3 I told Noel to go, I wasn't feeling well - reluctantly she did and finished 2:03! :) It was not my day to run fast. Wound up walking aid stations, feeling nauseus for a lot of the race and so, so, so wanted to quit. I was almost envious of the racers awaiting medical support laying down in the shade. I went into IM mode of jogging slowly aid station to aid station, knowing I'd get there eventually. I did see one of my former kdgn. students cheering - she's in 9th now and haven't seen her in 7 yrs! And then around mile 10 or so found someone I graduated HS with doing her first HM. We're FB friends but weren't friends in HS and I knew she was runnning. We ran in together and probly chatted more in the last 20 mins. or so than all of HS. Nice to finish that way. One thing that sucked - the HM and M split off near the end and there was a banner flying overhead waving in the breeze - half marathon finish (left side) marathon loop (right side). A bunch of people were putting their hands in the air under the banner only to realize that the breeze was blowing the banner and it really said half marathon finish ahead - like .25 mile ahead. 2 people were down and needed medical help within that .25 miles - felt so badly.
What would you do differently?:

Hydrate more before hand? Get acclimated to the heat? Suck it up?
Post race
Warm down:

found Noel, searched for water, changed and spent an hour in the hot sunshine waiting for the shuttles back to our cars. Best part of the race was buying a big ol box of popsicles while waiting for the shuttle and passing them around to everyone frying in the sun. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat.

Event comments:

Great course, flat, fast and scenic...Usually early May doesn't see 90 degrees. I'd race this again for sure - although the food/drinks post race were subpar - rinky dink granola bar and a mushy banana. They should also have more aid stations. Felt bad for the marathoners - lots of aid was gone by their second loop. Many folks along the course had hoses, water, pretzels, etc. Great crowd support.

Last updated: 2010-03-23 12:00 AM
Running
02:22:36 | 13.1 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/582
Overall: 0/5326
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat loop around Long Branch, Oceanport and a few other towns.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-05-03 7:57 AM

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: Long Branch Half Marathon

2010-05-03 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2832588

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Long Branch Half Marathon
Great race in some VERY challenging conditions Kristin!!  I was sucking wind 5 minutes behind ya'!  I agree about the faux finish...it was a bit cruel seeing "FINISH" from a long way out, only to realize from about 200 yards away it said "FINISH AHEAD."  I had been gunning it to the "finish" only to realize I had to step it up one more time. 
2010-05-05 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Oh my!  Running in that kind of heat saps my muscles for days if I go just a measly 5k!  Great work pushing through the temps and that "extra" 1/4 mile at the finish!!
2010-05-05 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Good job finishing it out with the heat!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Branch Half Marathon Rss Feed