Nanticoke RIver Swim & Triathlon
90?F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 12m 57s
Overall Rank = 58/61
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

coffee, water, got the dogs settled by a tree, put on the wet suit, jumped in to see if the wet suit would be as bad (fill up w/ as much water) as last year, lost my goggles.
Swim
  • 3h 12m 57s
  • 5300 yards
  • 03m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

The 2nd 2 legs have nothing to sight until you get close enough to see the buoys. Those 2 legs are where you need it most, as the current will blow you off course. I noticed this last year, and since it wasn't improved; I assume they have no intention of fixing it.
What would you do differently?:

Not doing this again. Did it last year in 1hr 53 min. Sighting was awful then, and thought it was b/c it was my first race & just didn't know what I was doing. The course is just bad w/ buoys only located at the half way point of a leg and the turn for the next leg. That's too far apart to see from the water surface. I noticed this in someone else's comment from a previous year. Really, there is no indication that they will fix it.
Post race
Warm down:

Was just glad I finished. Got out - stretched to try to avoid the massive back sprain I got last year. Drank some water. But I was so frustrated I just wanted to get out of there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Current I guess this year. Last year it was the wet suit, this year I ditched the wet suit after the first lap. It was scary, creepy, and frustrating on that 3rd leg of the first lap. Between the current, the wet suit, and not being close enough to see the buyos to sight anythihng; I'm not sure I could have done anything about it.

Event comments:

This MIGHT be okay as a triathlon. I did the swim, so my issues are limited to the swim course. The swim leg of the tri was probably fine since they only used that first leg of the course alone the shore.

Last updated: 2010-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
03:12:57 | 5300 yards | 03m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 58/61
Performance: Bad
didn't wear the HRM, and glad I didn't. If I had seen the time, and how long it was taking, I might have quit. It was 2 laps of a triangle shaped course.
Suit: rented nineteen XL
Course: 1st leg is easy, not working against the current & along the shore for useing the shore to sight. 2nd leg is harder to sight, the buyos are too far apart to see from the water level. Third leg was the WORST, current hitting you broad side and pushing you off course. On the 1st lap there was at least 45min on the 3rd leg where there was no one; not another swimmer, no boat, and no paddle board; w/in half a mile of me. It was creepy, scary, and frustrating. I REALLY wanted to quit, but there was no one there to tell that to & no boat to get on. Once I finished that 1st lap I was all set to quit. I swam over to a boat to ditch the wet suit. Felt sooooo much better once I got rid of it, I decided to finish.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-05-03 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Subject: Nanticoke RIver Swim

2010-05-03 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2832641

Sykesville, MD
Subject: RE: Nanticoke RIver Swim
Glad to see you finished. My wife saw many people coming back on the boats or coming in after only 1 lap. I'm frustrated with my time too. Sucks missing expectations by so much, but to me, that's better quitting.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nanticoke RIver Swim Rss Feed