72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 45m 43s
Overall Rank = 6/232
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/23
Pre-race routine:

Goals on Monday race week
45:50 3:00 swim, 0:30 T1, 28 min Bike (21.3 MPH), 0:40 T2 13:40 min Run (6:50) Stretch goal 48:30 3:30, 0:40, 29:00, 0:50, 14:30 slop goal

Actual 45:43 Met all "A" goals except swim 3:28 swim (20 sec run to mat included) 0:26 T1, 27:55 Bike, 0:37 T2, 13:17 run
Event warmup:

5 of 141 males
Woke at 5 ate bowl of applesauce w/protine, 1/2 bottle gatoraid with watter to fill a bike bottle (sipped till 7:15) grabbed coffee and bananna and out the door w/Stacey by 5:50. Had 1/2 cup coffee and bananna on the drive. On site at 6:10 and in transition by 20. Set up center row 4th bike in from mount line. Took 3 sports legs at 7, and ate half a powerbar around 7:30. Lined up of the swim and popped a gel 5 min to swim (little too late).
Swim
  • 03m 28s
  • 200 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Self seeded and as per normal people over estimated ability. Passed one guy at 125M no other issues. Nearly all out swim, started feeling it at the 150 turn. Started with a few flip turns then transitioned to open turns. Out of the water and a descent jog to the timing mat (15-20 sec). Goggles off (no cap this race) on the run.

9 of 141 males
What would you do differently?:

Not much, need to work on the swim fitness, I'm barely getting by.
Transition 1
  • 00m 26s
Comments:

Ran to rack fine, goggles down, glasses on, helmet on bike off the rack and jog to mount line. Feet on top of peddles, had the bike in the wrong gear and struggled big time getting up to speed and getting my feet in the shoes, 2 weeks in a row. Almost ate a curb trying to get shoes on because I looked down so long.

Prep the bike so I can mount and ride away quickly (gearing). Practice transitions focus on mounting the bike!
Bike
  • 27m 55s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.49 mile/hr
Comments:

4 of 141 males
loaner 404s After the mount/getting up to speed buffoonery I started riding. First lap uphill was kicking my rear end. Got to the top of the hill and was able to recover a bit. Passed about 6-8 riders and tried to focus on turning circles. Thought I missed a turn on the first loop, not many riders out there to follow. It was a little strange having no one to follow for most of the course but fun also.

Need to push it when no one is around just like when you try to leapfrog others. Needed to try to get more fluids in since I didn't cary anything on the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Had a hard time getting prepped to dismount. Nearly tore my lt thumb nail off working velcro. Feet finally on top at the last turn prior to dismount. Great dismount. 3 steps into T2 and I missed my rack. Got the bike racked bar first quickly(in T1 it was on the saddle nose). Slow progress on the TT pool start meant there were a ton of bikes still on the racks, not what I expected. Not used to having most of the bikes still in T2. Shoes were too deep (mid rack) so I had to reach for them then put them on. Lt sock was sticky and I had to adjust it. Rt was better but not great. Both shoes on quickly, race belt in hand and headed out.

Walk thru entry to T2 so you don't miss your spot. I picked it to give me an advantage and then it cost me time and at least one place! Make sure I can get to all my gear without pushing btwn bikes.
Run
  • 13m 17s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out too hard and had to slow down on the hill around .5 mi. Got into the grove just prior to the water stop at 1mi. 2 swallows of water and the body felt better till the last .3 mi. Pushed as hard as I thought I could. Wish I had pushed the second (downhill) mile a little more. No regrets!

10 of 141 males

Train specifically for the speed and distance of races a little more. More intervals for sprints, tempo runs for Olys etc.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with my lovely wife! Coffee snacks, cheering on Bruce and a bunch of first timers

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim fitness, poor mount, difficulty getting out of the shoes, no one to race on the bike!

Event comments:

Redemption is a great race production team. The post race food etc was "mom and pop" style but great for someones first race. Biggest issue was the lack of facilities. Not anyones fault but the main drain line clogged up and that shut down the bathrooms. If it had not been for a construction porta pot on site the result would have been an epic failure!

Last updated: 2010-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:28 | 200 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 10/232
Performance: Average
116-151 hr
Suit: N/A
Course: Self seeded snake style pool swim, very congested, but quick
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:27:55 | 10 miles | 21.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 4/232
Performance: Good
154-163 HR Max speed 33.9MPH Slight negative split on the ride 20.7 vice 20.8 mph (on the garmin)
Wind: Some
Course: 2 lap 5 mi neighborhood course with tons of turns
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good