General Discussion Race Reports! » Broad Street Run - Blue Cross Blue Shield Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Broad Street Run - Blue Cross Blue Shield - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Broad Street Run
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 50s
Overall Rank = 1299/26178
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 111/1448
Pre-race routine:

Up a little before 5:30, typical pre-race breakfast, drive down to park by the stadiums and hop on Septa for the ride to the start. Hit porta-pots upon arrival.
Event warmup:

Jogged for about 1.5mi and then did a few strides. Legs felt a bit tired during the warm-up jog. But I'd only run once since Boston two weeks ago, so that wasn't a surprise. The strides felt very good.
Run
  • 1h 14m 50s
  • 10 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good through the first few miles and the pace seemed to come pretty easily. Thought I might have an OK day. But sometime in about mile 4, I slowed down a bit even though the effort felt the same (still comfortable). And then sometime in the next mile, the effort went right from comfortable to hard. I just wasn't ready mentally or physically to handle that and I basically shut it down there.

Tried to stay steady through the back half, but was forced to walk parts of a few water stops.
What would you do differently?:

Not sign up for this one. I'm pretty sure I wasn't physically recovered enough to have a solid run here. But, more importantly, I wasn't mentally prepared to put forth a full effort. I knew that 2 weeks between races was going to be cutting it very close and I ended up running Boston much harder than I had originally anticipated. Just no way for me to recover from that effort well enough--especially given the unusual heat & humidity for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk through the finish area collecting my water & food. Then hopped on a shuttle bus to get back to the parking lots at the stadiums.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not recovered from Boston, the heat/humidity, & not mentally prepared to race

Event comments:

I enjoy this race and this course. Conditions were tough today, but that's just the way it goes sometimes--nothing against the race itself, as they went to great measure to adjust (e.g., opened fire hydrants along the course). I'll run this one again, just not two weeks after a marathon PR.

Last updated: 2010-02-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:14:50 | 10 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 1299/1448
Overall: 111/26178
Performance: Below average
Course: Straight shot down Broad Street. Couple short turns around City Hall, but other than that it is literally dead straight. Also slight net downhill with only a few very moderate inclines.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-03 8:51 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: Broad Street Run - Blue Cross Blue Shield
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Broad Street Run - Blue Cross Blue Shield Rss Feed