General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Turtle Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-05-18 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2833616

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
Subject: RE: Turtle Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread
My understanding as well was that you had to keep EVERY bouy to your left. That's what the RD said at the start. The second bouy (first orange one) was way further out than the first yellow cone. I had to swim out alot farther and took alot of time to keep that bouy to my left. If not everybody did, then they had a significant advantage over those of us that took the instructions at face value.

Edited by cindi 2010-05-18 10:09 AM

2010-05-18 10:15 AM

User image

New user

I was in the water warming up during the RD instructions (my bad I know).  So he did indeed say keep the orange bouys to your left.... or did he say keep yellow bouys to your left? Because if we did not have to keep them all on the left we could just go to 3 inches of water and run... then swim to last yellow bouy and round it to the finish.

Edited by jshortman 2010-05-18 10:16 AM
2010-05-18 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2865517

User image

Expert
cindi - 2010-05-18 10:50 AM My understanding as well was that you had to keep EVERY bouy to your left. That's what the RD said at the start. The second bouy (first orange one) was way further out than the first yellow cone. I had to swim out alot farther and took alot of time to keep that bouy to my left. If not everybody did, then they had a significant advantage over those of us that took the instructions seriously.

I do think that was his intention, based on his comments at the awards ceremony, but that is what the different shaped bouys are supposed to represent, "sighting" bouys vs. mandatory bouys.  As for the DQ or penalty thing.  The USAT official does not officiate the swim portion, that duty goes to the RD.  And, for the people wearing sleeved wetsuits, no body markings are visible so I don't even know how they'd hand out violations.  That is one thing that is weird to me.  In Chicago, they would "body mark" the swim caps.  I'm not sure why they don't do that here.
2010-05-18 10:19 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
I don't remember his exact words.  I thought he said keep the bouys to your left.  I know on the sprint he said to go straight out through the two green bouys, turn until the yellow one and turn left towards the beach. 
2010-05-18 10:43 AM

User image

New user

I am glad to read all of your feedback and see that I am not way off in left field to have thought that wasn't right!

I agree: why not put numbers on the swim cap?  That would help.  I didn't realize the swim portion was not refereed. 

I also am interested to learn about the different shape buoys - didn't know that.  He definitely did say, though, to keep buoys on your left and to turn left at the last one, and I am little miss rule follower, so of course I took that literally.  I would not be able to live with myself if I had 'cheated' the swim course.

Before seeing all of your comments, I did send an email to both Jim at Ga Multisports and to USAT to try and figure out what the deal is with that.  If I get a reply from either, I will share it! 
2010-05-18 10:57 AM

New user
Savannah, GA
I heard someone ask the USAT official about it after the race, and he said that as long as went around the 2 yellow bouys, you could be inside of the others.

That's not the impression I had from directions given by the RD though. I had to swim back out a little bit to get around the first red bouy (I swear I was going straight for it, but at the last minute it took off 20 yards further out to sea), and then made sure to stay out there for all the others cause I didn't want to go through that again.

2010-05-18 10:58 AM

I ran the Sprint – it was my first tri. I think my lack of experience was a huge blessing in the swim!  Everytime I sighted, I felt like I should have moved a lot closer to the next buoy; but instead of fretting, I just looked down and kept swimming.  When I finished the swim and saw how much time had passed by, I was stunned - I couldn't understand how it took so long!  It was a relief to see I was in good company. 

The rest of the event was a blast.  I missed the results at the site though and worried for two days about whether I would be DQ’ed for my swim time!  I finally saw the results yesterday morning – I ended up 5th in the Clydes.  I couldn’t be happier for my first event.  I figure that this swim will help my perspective on future swim legs – sounds like they are usually much easier!

Thanks to the event director, staff and other athletes – I enjoyed the experience and can’t wait to run the Olympic next year!

Stuart

2010-05-18 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2865735

User image

New user

beckjon - 2010-05-18 11:57 AM I heard someone ask the USAT official about it after the race, and he said that as long as went around the 2 yellow bouys, you could be inside of the others.

That's not the impression I had from directions given by the RD though. I had to swim back out a little bit to get around the first red bouy (I swear I was going straight for it, but at the last minute it took off 20 yards further out to sea), and then made sure to stay out there for all the others cause I didn't want to go through that again.

Hmm, I will say this:  if that is true, then I could've LEGALLY saved myself a lot of trouble by just going around the first one, then swimming in to shallower water, then swimming back out.  Just not sure how I feel about that for future races...
2010-05-18 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2865602

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
crazyalaskian - 2010-05-18 11:16 AM 
... And, for the people wearing sleeved wetsuits, no body markings are visible so I don't even know how they'd hand out violations.  That is one thing that is weird to me.  In Chicago, they would "body mark" the swim caps.  I'm not sure why they don't do that here.

I know! I thought about that too. The lady next to me in transition ran up during T1 saying something about they took her timing chip, but she was going to do the bike and run anyway. I thought to myself I wonder what she did and how they managed to pick her out of the water amongst the crowd? But I later figured out she voluntarily quit the swim.
2010-05-18 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2865767

New user
Savannah, GA
JenTruitt - 2010-05-18 12:07 PM Hmm, I will say this:  if that is true, then I could've LEGALLY saved myself a lot of trouble by just going around the first one, then swimming in to shallower water, then swimming back out.  Just not sure how I feel about that for future races...

I figure I'd rather swim outside all of the bouys (where I'm supposed to be) then go back in. I thought about skipping that first bouy when I realized where I was, but knew I wouldn't be happy with my race if I purposefully missed one when I could have done something about it. I didn't want to violate the spirit of the race just because the rules said it was ok to do, even if I lose a bit of advantage by doing so. The awards are fun to get, but not worth feeling like I didn't really deserve it.

Edited by beckjon 2010-05-18 11:29 AM
2010-05-18 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2865835

User image

New user

beckjon - 2010-05-18 12:28 PM
JenTruitt - 2010-05-18 12:07 PM Hmm, I will say this:  if that is true, then I could've LEGALLY saved myself a lot of trouble by just going around the first one, then swimming in to shallower water, then swimming back out.  Just not sure how I feel about that for future races...

I figure I'd rather swim outside all of the bouys (where I'm supposed to be) then go back in. I thought about skipping that first bouy when I realized where I was, but knew I wouldn't be happy with my race if I purposefully missed one when I could have done something about it. I didn't want to violate the spirit of the race just because the rules said it was ok to do, even if I lose a bit of advantage by doing so. The awards are fun to get, but not worth feeling like I didn't really deserve it.

Exactly!  I totally agree.  And I'm in no danger of getting an award, anyway! :-)

2010-05-18 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2865835

User image

Expert
beckjon - 2010-05-18 12:28 PM

I know this is just arguing symantics at this point but.....  the shortest "legal" swim was: out to the first bouy, a straight line between the two yellow bouys, and in from the last bouy.  Since you can't possible see that last yellow bouy, the orange bouys are provided so that you can follow them until you can see that last yellow one.  (Although, I will agree that Jim Rainey said something along the lines of keeping "the" bouys to your left which implies all of them). 

And, like Cindi said, one bouy wasn't set in the right position as it didn't line up with the others so you had to swim out a little further to keep that one on your left (and even if you didn't, you'd be swimming out a little further while using it for sighting).

I can't fathom how people who swam inside the orange bouys were faster as you'd have to essentially do two out and backs rather than one......but there would be a difference if you bypassed one of the "mando" bouys.  And, of course, you shouldn't be walking in a tri swim.  I think it posed a logistics problem because the guards were lined up just outside of the orange bouys and wouldn't be able to easily get to someone significantly closer to the shore without crossing the line of swimmers and, of course, the whole walking thing definitely isn't in keeping with the spirit of triathlons.  It'll be interesting to hear Jim's response.

It is possible that he only owns two of the triangle bouys (of each color) and was using the orange ones as substitutes for triangle ones. 
2010-05-18 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2865942

New user
Savannah, GA
crazyalaskian - 2010-05-18 1:04 PM
And, like Cindi said, one bouy wasn't set in the right position as it didn't line up with the others so you had to swim out a little further to keep that one on your left (and even if you didn't, you'd be swimming out a little further while using it for sighting).

I can't fathom how people who swam inside the orange bouys were faster as you'd have to essentially do two out and backs rather than one......but there would be a difference if you bypassed one of the "mando" bouys.  And, of course, you shouldn't be walking in a tri swim.  I think it posed a logistics problem because the guards were lined up just outside of the orange bouys and wouldn't be able to easily get to someone significantly closer to the shore without crossing the line of swimmers and, of course, the whole walking thing definitely isn't in keeping with the spirit of triathlons.  It'll be interesting to hear Jim's response.

It is possible that he only owns two of the triangle bouys (of each color) and was using the orange ones as substitutes for triangle ones. 

Actually, from standing out there the night before and looking at them, I don't think any of the bouys were lined up! I'm pretty sure I had drifted pretty far towards the shore though when I turned to go around the bouy. I was swimming straight for it, then next thing I knew I was way to the right of it so I figured I had drifted off course.

And I think we're in agreement. My post was more me thinking I wouldn't feel right going closer to shore to make the swim easier (or walk). At the time I wasn't even thinking about the bouys being crooked...I was just just trying to make it through the swim!
2010-05-18 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2865735

Regular
Well, I just can't see how that can be correct. Using that logic, you could swim out to the first buoy, turn around and come back to the shore, run down the beach, swim out to the last buoy, around and back in. This would be a MASSIVE advantage.

Sounds like this rule needs to be tightened up.

2010-05-18 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida

Edited by The Cube 2010-05-18 2:24 PM
2010-05-18 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2866394

User image

Expert
chumpy36 - 2010-05-18 3:20 PM Well, I just can't see how that can be correct. Using that logic, you could swim out to the first buoy, turn around and come back to the shore, run down the beach, swim out to the last buoy, around and back in. This would be a MASSIVE advantage.

Sounds like this rule needs to be tightened up.

True.  I was thinking that same thing.  Why not just run along the shore if you are going to walk along the bottom anyways? I think the intent is that you are actually swimming the swim course other than the points where it is physically impossible to swim, such as the start and finish (or at that one race last where the course passed over a sandbar).  I completely agree that swimming into shore and making forward progress by walking along the bottom is not appropriate for a triathlon.  You could certainly rest that way but that is it.  I just cannot grasp how that could be "faster"....well, I guess I could see it being faster based on comparing our swim Sat to swimming upstream in a river.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Turtle Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4