Canada
Regina Multisport Club
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 47m 40s
Overall Rank = 60/69
Age Group = Women 20-29
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:45 AM. Scarfed down 2 bananas. Loaded up the car and hit the highway by 4:30 AM. Drove 2.5 hours in the rain and SNOW. Arrived just as transition opened. All of my stuff was in a garbage bag due to the rain/snow. I later found out that people had the option of moving their transition indoors. By the time I was told it was already too late to move (transition closed). Ah well.
Event warmup:

Not much. Sat around and made nervous chit-chat with people. Lots of nice folks. Swam 50m as a warmup. The other ladies in my lane were super friendly and nice.
Swim
  • 21m 15s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

First 200m or so were pretty horrible. Lots of thrashing about. Instead of tapping my toes, one lady kept grabbing my legs. I went to let her pass and she said she didn't want to. I couldn't really swim with someone holding my legs so I just sat there and made her pass. Things were better after that.

One of the volunteers stopped me to let someone pass but the person behind me was really far behind so I had to sit there and wait quite awhile. Not sure what that was all about.
What would you do differently?:

Get it together earlier in the swim.

A couple of months ago I was certain I would be the last person out of the pool. Actually there were still 3 people left in the pool when I left. And even if I *had* been the last I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My transition was outside and it was really cold. I fumbled for my stuff in my garbage bag. I put on a jacket, socks, and shoes. Grabbed my helmet and my sunglasses. Putting on my socks and shoes was more difficult then I expected.

It probably would have helped if I had known we were allowed to put our transition indoors. Oh well. Being outdoors motivated me to have a speedy transition I suppose.
Bike
  • 57m 23s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 13.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I was one of the few in shorts. Most people had put on tights. I was chilly at first but my legs actually weren't that cold later on.

I tried to be conservative on the bike. I should have pushed myself more. Passed a couple of folks...got passed by lots of people. I was kind of surprised at how many people had aero bars.

Took it slow on the corners.

Push harder on the bike. I went way too slow.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

By the time I got off the bike I realized my feet were wet and frozen. I didn't really notice how cold they were when I was riding but I sure noticed as soon as I dismounted.

Noticed a bloody wound on my left leg. Where the heck did that come from?? Not sure. I didn't feel a thing. Makes me look tough I guess.

Even though I was wearing gloves my fingers were frozen and getting my helmet off proved to be challenging.

I brought a change of socks but I realized it didn't matter much being outside, the new ones would get wet anyway. So I just put on my running shoes and headed out.

Not have wet socks...?
Run
  • 29m 2s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

My feet were frozen for the first 2K or so. After that they finally started to get some feeling back in them.

Had to go up a big muddy hill. Not fun.

By about 4K I had a bad side stitch. Stuck it out, concentrated on breathing, got through it.

I didn't have any water at the aid station. I was thirsty, but I really had to go to the washroom by that point. I'm not hardcore enough to pee on my bike. Thankfully.

Breathe properly and not get a side stitch.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Stood around kind of bewildered. It was my first tri and the experience was a bit overwhelming. Started to tear up...I used to be 50 lbs heavier and was always the fat kid growing up that was teased in gym class. I always assumed that I hated exercising/sports/anything athletic. I never thought I would be able to do something like that. I think people thought I was crying because I was in pain or something but really it was just happiness. Okay that sounds mushy.

Afterward I met some really nice BT folks. Met up with some of the ladies from my swim lane, chatted for awhile. Got in my car and drove the 2.5 hours back home. Probably should have stretched before I got in the car. Oops.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather, physical ability...

Honestly I think I did alright considering it was my first tri, the horrible weather, and the fact that I've done little run training lately due to having a bummed foot for a month.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race. And I think I will always remember how it snowed for my first tri.

Last updated: 2010-02-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:15 | 750 meters | 02m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 57/69
Performance: Average
Suit: tri short/tri top
Course: Pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:57:23 | 12.43 miles | 13.00 mile/hr
Overall: 66/69
Wind: Headwind
Course: Back-and-forth loop on Wascana Parkway. One way had a pretty strong headwind...the other way had a pretty sweet tailwind.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:02 | 03.11 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 45/69
Course: Up to Douglas Park hill and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-03 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Ottawa
Subject: Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker

2010-05-04 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2834088

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: RE: Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker
You are a superstar and doing the race in shorts makes you hard core!
Congratulations! Quite an emotional feeling isn't it. And you did it on your terms, at your pace. What I love about triathlon is that, although you are racing others and the clock, it is still a race against yourself! You were racing your old self and you won. And you have the war wound to show it.

Well done. I hope to see you at more races!

Next time consider wool socks...LOL. They stay warm when wet. Perfect for spring and fall cycling. Woolie Boolie from DeFeet (Mountain Equipment Coop) are a great brand.

Congratulations! It was a privilege meeting you!
2010-05-04 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Ottawa
Thanks! It was really great to meet you as well. I actually kind of liked that you couldn't see anyone's race # because then I didn't know what heat they were in and I didn't feel like I was racing against anyone. Just me and the clock.

You're right , I should have tried wool socks. I had never used them before and I kept saying "nothing new on race day.." but I think it would have been better than trying to run on frozen feet.

By the way, I wanted to thank you for the tip on putting the socks in the shoes. I never would have thought of it and it made life so much easier when I was rummaging through my garbage bag. I ended up stuffing my socks and gloves right inside of my bike shoes.

Can't wait for the next race - hopefully NOT in the snow!
2010-05-05 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Congratulations on a great race!  I think I might have met and chatted with you!  We might have been putting our bikes up together.... right at the very end.... by the exit to the bike route???  Wow... I can't believe you did it in shorts! Your my hero!!!

2010-05-06 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Ottawa
Oh hey! You're right, we did meet! Glad to meet up with you on here.
2010-05-08 8:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congrats on a great race!  You will enjoy triathlons even more when the weather isn't so-o-o cold!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker Rss Feed