WTC
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 02m 34s
Overall Rank = 1206/2368
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 232/443
Pre-race routine:

WARNING, if you are looking for an "inspirational" race report, move along. This aint it... I won't focus on the negatives, but I will report the facts. It is a race REPORT. Not a fluff piece.

I drove to St. George Thursday morning and did all of the athlete check in requirements. I have to say, they have that system down! It was a well oiled machine. Yes, there were lines and waiting, but what do you expect with almost 2000 athletes? I was pleased and enjoyed the entire process - soaked it all in. HOWEVER, for a big time/expensive race, their SWAG is terrible, or should I say non existent! They gave us NOTHING to be a part of this race. Sort of sucks considering I can at least score a water bottle or something kind of cool at just about every other race I do.

I had planned to get a 30 minute ride in, but realized I had forgotten my "crack pipe" to inflate my race wheels. OOPS! That was one of many minor mistakes I made packing and getting ready for this race. I also decided I wanted a cycle computer, so I ended up driving around town to check out the finish/T2 area, find a bike shop, and hit up a grocery store to pick up my last minute nutrition items for the race. (BTW, never got that crack pipe OR a ride on the bike that day)

I attended the athlete dinner that night and had a good time...

On Friday, I went straight to the bike tech to have them inflate my tires for me then headed to T2 to drop of my run gear. After that, headed to the lake/T1 for bike drop and a swim. I was able to get 15 minutes on the bike and check my gearing. Good thing, because it needed some minor adjustments.

Then I hit the lake. WOW! COLD! It has hard to stick my face in the water and I got an "Ice Cream Headache". Granted, I didn't have my swim cap. After getting out of the water, I had a thought that maybe I will get an extra silicon swim cap and use my arm warmers I had packed. I got back to the hotel, and realized I had packed one arm warmer, and one leg warmer (minor mistake #2)! So once again, I hit up about 3 local bike shops for some new ones. Seems everyone else had the same idea, because every place was sold out. THEN I remembered a neat little trick. I bought some bright colored tube socks, cut the toe off them and voila! Instant disposable arm warmers! (I got yellow, my race color!).

After that, I got something to eat (I probably waited too long to eat anything - minor mistake #3). Had a big pizza and some ice cream. Probably not the "cleanest" of pre race meals, but it sounded good to me at the time.

Now it was time to turn in. I tried to hit the sack EARLY, to get in 8 hours. But, I was so amped, I probably didn't fall asleep till past midnight, and had to be up at 3:30.

Had a simple breakfast and a cup of coffee, then headed to the race.
Event warmup:

Nothing out of the ordinary. Checked the tire pressure, set up nutrition, donned the wetsuit, hit the porta potty, etc.

If I was to have ANY complaint about the race organization, it would be the lack of porta potties. The lines were TERRIBLE. Normally, I would have just peed in my wetsuit, but I had to do something you really don't want to do in a wetsuit! ;) Not sure if it was the stress or the meal from the day before, but I had issues and some diareah... Yeah, gross, but them's the facts!
Swim
  • 1h 15m 50s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

When they say the swim starts at 7:00am, they are not shitting... There were a LOT of racers that were behind and caught in the line to get across the timing mat and into the lake. Just about when I was going to get into the water, I realized I still had my nice Crocks on! I had to quickly find a volunteer and beg them to put them in my T1 bag. If I lost them, I would be sad, but that's what I get for being absent minded (Mistake #4 - I think that's what I'm up to now!)

Anyway, got that sorted out and was JUST about to step into the water when BANG!!!! The canon! Myself, and about 400 other athletes still on the beach just stared at each other for a second like WTF!!! I just raced into the water and swam as fast as I could to the starting line which was a good 150 meters from the beach. I easily added 2-3 minutes to my swim time starting so far behind (mistake #5). BTW, never used the silicon cap - last minute decision and I didn't need it.

The swim was GREAT. The cold water didn't bother me and I felt like I was going at a pretty good clip. Felt stong, breathing was easy, navagation was spot on. BEST swim I ever had at that distance.

I really didn't draft anyone, because I started too far back and ended up having to get past a TON of people. I would guess I passed about 500-600 people, easy.

WARNING!!!! MINOR ELITIST RANT!!!! People, PLEASE learn how to sight. Sorry if this offends anyone reading. Nothing is more frustrating to finally find someone to draft and have them pull up every 30 seconds to breast stroke and sight while I swim up your back... I know this sounds cocky, but I need to be up with the better swimmers who know how to do it.

One funny little story. I was side by side with two other swimmers as we made our first turn (I was in the middle) when the outside swimmer realized they needed to turn. SO, they just cut the corner and basically just swam over my, and the inside swimmer's head. We both sort of stopped and looked at each other and were a bit shocked at the "asshole" but shrugged it off and kept on going.

I guess the water was pretty rough for a lot of the swimmers and several were pulled due to hypothermia. I personally didn't have an issue. I loved it. The swim was the best part of my race.

Here is where the ominous part comes in. I DID notice some tightning of my lower back due to the ice water. It was beginning to sieze up, but thought it would be ok after getting out of the water.

One shitty thing about being top 1/3 out of the water? Is seeing so many people pass you on the bike. It was around 600 people... Ick.
Transition 1
  • 05m 13s
Comments:

A little slow. I dressed OUTSIDE the tent since it was packed inside. I also decided NOT to use my custom made arm warmers since it felt pretty good out of the water. Then I had to make my way through an over filled tent and out to my bike...
Bike
  • 7h 40m 48s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt strong out of the water and hit the bike hard - Probably too hard, looking back on it. The weather was perfect. Sunny, low winds, low temps. I did the first 22 miles before the loops start with an average pace of over 16 mph. I DID notice that my HR was sky high, but my legs just felt so strong. I thought it could just be race nerves/excitement, so I ignored it thinking it would go back to normal after I settled in a bit. I was doing EXACTLY like I did in training. Following my nutrition plan and everything... I knew I trained well for the ride, and I was going to trust my training.

The first sign of something going wrong was when I hit mile 30, I realized "I'm tired". How could that be? I surely could go further than this and not feel tired. I did it dozens of times during training.

The first half of the bike was decent, I was on my pace to hit 13.5 to 14 hours for the race, so I was good. However, at mile 56, I was even MORE tired. That's the first time I EVER felt like I was going to quit a race. I had the idea that I would just finish the ride, and not go on to run. This is also when my back started to act up from the swim. I never had this issue during training, so it HAD to be the cold swim. My back was hurting SO much, I could not stay in earo for more than 30-60 seconds before I was cringing. I tried to stretch it out to no avail.

The second loop was even worse. I was more fatigued, and now the winds had picked up. I realized if I was going to have ANY chance of starting the run, I need to throttle back and get my HR into Z2. Every hill was a struggle and I was quick to get into my easy gears, which frustrated me to no end. There were two SUPER steep hills at about mile 45 and 90 that some people even had to walk up.

Also, some of the downhills were SO fast, that I had to scrub speed on four different sections, which I hated to have to do. I'm just not that brave. I looked down once and was doing 45. That, combined with a crappy road surface and cross winds, had me a bit nervous. I had to back it off a bit.

To be honest, the thought of quitting entered my mind MANY times during the second loop. What made it harder was the fact I HAVE done an IM before, so what's there to prove? I'm already an Ironman.

I just didn't know what was wrong with me. I pretty much followed my nutrition plan, legs felt strong, but I had NO energy. The thought of doing a full marathon actually almost made me nauseous. I had decided that once I finished the bike, I was at least going to get out on the run course. I could quit anytime at any aid station, but I thought I would at least give it a shot even though I didn't think I had it in me. My back was also REALLY hurting, but I hoped (and I was correct) that getting in an "upright" position and on my feet, would help. It did.

Side note: About at mile 30, I felt a "pop" on my helmet and a sharp pain in my right bicep. A kamikaze bee bounced off my lid and landed ass first into my arm. I brushed him off but the stinger was still there. Tough to get a stinger out doing 25mph on a bike...

I said it before, and I will say it again. Big guys and hills don't get along.
Transition 2
  • 06m 44s
Comments:

No excuses for the pace on this one. I did stop to pee, but other than just take a small break, I have no excuses.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster?
Run
  • 5h 53m 59s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I can't even call this a "run". It was jog/walk. It was SO frustrating to have the strength in my legs, but just NO energy. I felt no pain or cramping. I felt like I could dunk a basketball or do a set of squates if I had to. I felt STRONG, but I would run 50 yards then have nothing in the tank. When I did run, my form felt good, but just got winded after seconds.

I wasn't sure what it was. I thought maybe I didn't drink enough, so I started to try to rehydrate. Maybe it was calories, so I had some bananas and some cookies to try to get some sugar in me. Nothing. After a while, I just switched to water and barely felt like I wanted that.

This course was hilly. I played all kinds of games to get through the first half. I told myself to walk the uphills, then run the downhill side. Then I switched up to run the space between two traffic cones, then walk to the next one and repeat (they were set about 100 feet apart). WHATEVER it took to finish. I told myself, I could quit if I had to, at the half way point.

Well, got to the 13.1 miles and decided to head back out. Again, I could quit any time I wanted. Then I got to the point of no return and started thinking, "how could I quit with only a half mary to go?" Worse yet, how could I face anyone for quiting with just 10k to go? So I plugged on with my jog/walk.

I kept an eye on my watch, and thought I had a chance to break 15 hours, but made a small mistake in timing and ended up just seconds over that mark.
Post race
Warm down:

Medical tent and massage. I tried to eat and drink, but could barely hold anything down. I didn't vomit, but I didn't test myself either. I knew if I did eat, it wasn't going to stay down. After about an hour, I ended up getting a a couple pieces of pizza in me afterall.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Health/fluids/nutrition?

Event comments:

Not sure what to think about this one. I know I sound like a jerk when I say I'm disapointed with my time when it's such a good acomplishment to just finish an IM. But I trained hard and KNEW I could do better than I did but had a bad day.

It was during the run that I decided to not race IM any more. It's just to hard on me and not enjoyable.

I LOVE training for an IM. In fact, I only race because I trained for it. Sort of the MUST DO after all the time I put in. But other than the swim and first 30 miles on the bike, I didn't enjoy ONE SECOND of being out there.

Even when I heard the shouts of hundreds of spectators and Mike Reilly say "James Yancey, YOU are an IRONMAN!!!" Cool, but not worth the agony.

I think I like the exquisit pain of Oly length races. Race so hard till you puke, but at least you know it's over in less than 3 hours. 15 hours on an IM course is not fun at all. I didn't even get to enjoy the beautiful course and it IS beautiful in St. George. Great place to do some training rides, I would say.

After "officially" retiring from IM racing during the race, about 8 hours later, I decided I will race IM again if, and ONLY if, I can lose 40 lbs. 24 hours later I decided that I don't have to lose the 40 lbs as long as I just do a flat/fast course, like IMFL or IMAZ... So much for my retirement! Just call me Farvre.

I did set a PR. I was about 3 minutes faster here than Silverman a year and a half ago.

Proof that I didn't/couldn't push myself hard enough (or my training is better) is that I'm not very sore after the race. My legs feel fine. After my first IM (and my open marathon) I could barely get up and down steps or sit down in a chair. After this? It's less than 48 hours later, and I may go out for a run or ride.

I also have a cold. I felt it the morning after the race and thought that it was post race affects and would go away. Nope it's a full blown cold. I can't say it's the reason I did poorly, since I felt FINE race day and didn't have any symptoms, but maybe, just maybe, it was already in my body and stressed it enough to leave me with no energy. I know to expect pain and fatigue while racing, so I didn't think to look at if it could have been a health issue.

I'll just say it was a weird combination of nutrition/fluids/health... Swim and bike times were right on. Run times were about 2 minutes/mile slower than in training, but it WAS a harder course... Maybe I just had a bad day...

ChrisM from BT asked me a good question. One that I thought myself during the race. I have done Silverman and now this course. Which was harder? For me, it was this one. I struggled mentally and physically. More than I did at Silverman AND I was in FAR better shape for this one. I wonder if the mental challange gets tougher after you did an IM or two. What do you have to prove anymore?

As the hours and days go by, I take more joy in the fact I toed the line and finished and care less about how I felt or my finish time. It was a pure joy to be in the company of so many hard working athletes and great volunteers.

I was almost more moved by a St. George employee who help coordinate the even said that the race was, the culmination of her hard work, was probably the best day of her career and was tearing up while presenting at the awards lunch. It makes me take another look at how IM impacts everyone envolved, not just the athletes. It's a good group to be included in.

Last updated: 2009-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:50 | 4224 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 131/443
Overall: 718/2368
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Sleeve
Course: Single lap course in Sand Hallow Res.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:40:48 | 112 miles | 14.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 261/443
Overall: 1320/2368
Performance: Average
AVG HR = 152. High Z2
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Hilly and poor pavement.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 06:44
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:53:59 | 26.2 miles | 13m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 241/443
Overall: 1298/2368
Performance: Below average
AVG HR = 129
Course: Hilly as fuck
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-03 3:45 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Ironman St. George - Utah

2010-05-03 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2834168

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George - Utah
Congrats on finishing and gritting this one out! I'm sorry you had a rough race and didn't do as well as you expected but it is still an accomplishment to get through a very challenging course.
2010-05-03 4:59 PM

User image

Master
You are an inspiration!
I can't imagine how much it would suck to be having a sucky day during an IM.
It has happened to me during an open Marathon, and a HIM. I hope it won't happen again.
Congrats again! Way to go. 
2010-05-03 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
CONGRATS on sticking it out! Maybe it was the winds creating allergies, or just the elevation that got to you... St George is quite a bit higher in Elevation than Vegas... it makes a difference (to me anyway

The Hills there are brutal - and I thought Vegas was bad  LOL

I had thought that IF I ever did an IM, that I would want to do a flat course - but then the thought of spinning non-stop doesn't appeal to me as hills - at least with hills, you get to have FUN going down them and a nice rest too

Thanks for sharing your experience! Are you doing Silverman this year?
2010-05-03 6:16 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
Great job Jim. You toughed it out and finished. That takes a ton of guts when you were ready to quit early on in the bike.
2010-05-03 7:05 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Wow. 
Thanks for an awesome , honest race report.
......and a huge congrats Kido. 

2010-05-03 7:17 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Fantastic RR. It takes a lot of determination and will to stay out there for so long when you just don't wanna. Great job.

2010-05-03 7:21 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Congratulations!

I appreciate your honesty in your race report as I think others can learn from it.

I wonder if the cold you have now is what effected your energy level during your race.

My second IM  last year at IM Canada I had similar issue that it wasn't fun like my first. I was sick throwing up on the bike for 4 hours and it was rough...run went better and felt some vindication at the end of the race with my run. But the experience was different..I too was better trained, did a slight PB and was disappointed with my finish time and how the day wasn't that fun given all I had done to prepare for the race. I love the training racing can be hard and not as fun.

In time I have come to look at my second IM differently and appreciate what I had to do to finish and see somethings inside me I didn't know I had and am proud of. I hope in time you find more positives in your ability to preserve and finish when you struggled during the race.

When races go smoothly and on plan it's easy, I think when things are difficult your true character is revealed and there is an opportunity to learn and grow.

Congrats again!

2010-05-03 7:23 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Great honest RR....I imagine there are many stories like this when you get to 140.6.
Thanks for the honest read.
2010-05-04 1:08 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Great job hanging in there for the finish.

Man, this could have been my race report (other than the not getting in the water in time part)...exact same problems on the bike and run and we finished within a couple minutes of each other.  (Even down to the part about having some motivational issues with having done an IM before.)  Almost feel like copying and pasting yours into my log!

Wish I'd had a chance to meet you during the weekend...if I'd spent a couple minutes less in T1 (or the portapotty in Gunlock), we might have met at the finish line. 

Congrats.  Great report!
2010-05-04 1:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Nice job sticking with it. That is one of a course and it got the best of a lot of strong athletes.

2010-05-04 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Congrats!!! Great job of pushing through it. I am training for my first IM in Cozumel so I can only imagine what you went through. When I was reading your report the first thing that came to mind from your description was some kind of bug. So the cold definitively matches. I have had a few of those and that is exactly how I feel. I am also a "big" guy at 6'1 and 190 lbs, so I hear you on the running. Have 208 days left for my "day"... working hard and keeping them fingers crossed. Enjoy a few relaxing days and congrats again.
2010-05-04 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

HUGE congrats on your second IM - you had to dig deep for this one, which makes it an accomplishment at least on par with what you did at Silverman.  Come down to IMAZ one of these days - you will tear that course UP!!!

2010-05-04 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2836333

User image

Sensei
Sin City
thanks everyone...

Brian,  I'm seriously thinking about the 2011 IMAZ.  I might come down and volunteer this fall to get a chance at getting in.
2010-05-04 1:44 PM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Great RR and great race! Just say NO to retirement - you have other IM's out there waiting to be conquered.
2010-05-04 1:57 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Sheesh - what DIDN'T happen to you?

You toughened out yet another IM, Kido!

No matter how much you train and have things ready to go, something always happens without fail.
Oh, well.

2010-05-04 2:23 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
I spent most of Saturday afternoon and evening with my eye on the compouter watching the updates as you raced.  My daughter, who will race her first Tri in June, was watching with me and we talked about what you were going through.  I told her about halfway through the bike that I thought you were struggling (the third split dropped way off and I knew something was up).  Then your first run split came in and I got a little worried for you.
She asked me if I thought you would quit.  My response was - "Jim does a lot of things, but quit isn't one of them.  He'll finish just because he wouldn't be able to look himself in the mirror if he didn't".  That IS the definition of Ironman, my friend.  Toughing out the toughest things.  Continuing forward when everything in your being tells you to stop. 
When we watch the Kona coverage I like to wacth the pros race, but the inspirational part is watching the people that are really struggling overcome every roadblock and still finish.  You are inspirational.  Good job.  Everyone can do the easy things.  Only a very few can keep going when things are at their worst. 
2010-05-04 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2836492

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Some lap data I wanted to save:

Swim       T1     Bike 1 (22 mi)  Bike 2 (66 mi)  Bike 3 (total)   T2      run (6.9)   run (13.1)  run (20)  Total 
1759 1:15:50 5:13   1:21:46            2:49:26           7:40:51          6:41   1:26:46    1:24:27     1:33:39   15:02:34
2010-05-04 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2836492

User image

Sensei
Sin City
jdwright56 - 2010-05-04 12:23 PM I spent most of Saturday afternoon and evening with my eye on the compouter watching the updates as you raced.  My daughter, who will race her first Tri in June, was watching with me and we talked about what you were going through.  I told her about halfway through the bike that I thought you were struggling (the third split dropped way off and I knew something was up).  Then your first run split came in and I got a little worried for you.
She asked me if I thought you would quit.  My response was - "Jim does a lot of things, but quit isn't one of them.  He'll finish just because he wouldn't be able to look himself in the mirror if he didn't".  That IS the definition of Ironman, my friend.  Toughing out the toughest things.  Continuing forward when everything in your being tells you to stop. 
When we watch the Kona coverage I like to wacth the pros race, but the inspirational part is watching the people that are really struggling overcome every roadblock and still finish.  You are inspirational.  Good job.  Everyone can do the easy things.  Only a very few can keep going when things are at their worst. 

Thanks for this John.
2010-05-04 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Very good RR... Sometimes it's tough to look past all the IM Buildup to look inside yourself and see what you are made of, especially on race day when things aren't going well. Mentally, Physically or both.

as another "bigger" person I definately think you should do some flater courses, train in the nice hills that you have to get stronger, than crush some dreams on the flat courses. They dont' have to be IM's either

2010-05-04 7:38 PM

User image

Lost Wages Nevada
Great job, way to stay with it! It was a pleasure to read your posts on the forum and I felt that we had a similar "real" perspective. I too enjoy the training far more then the test (who doesn't?) but the test is a necessity to prove to ourselves that we didn't half the training. Vicious circle as I see it....
I plan on doing Silverman this year and look forward to mentally comparing the two. I also hope to do IMAZ in 2011 just to see what its like to go fast without a hill. I hope to someday meet up and shake your hand, nice job Ironman.... 

2010-05-05 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hey, I liked your report.

Seems like this race is making a lot of us step down from full course racing. (Although I already had it in my mind to do so. I think the course helped verify that this was right though.)

Add IM Cozumel to possible flat races. Nice warm water there.

Edited by robin314159 2010-05-05 5:59 PM
2010-05-05 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
It was SO frustrating to have the strength in my legs, but just NO energy. I felt no pain or cramping. I felt like I could dunk a basketball or do a set of squates if I had to. I felt STRONG, but I would run 50 yards then have nothing in the tank. When I did run, my form felt good, but just got winded after seconds.

FWIW - this describes what i feel like before I get sick to a t.  Actually when i was reading your report I wondered to myself if you had a cold now. 

Congrats on finishing such a mentally tough race.  I'm not sure I would have the mental fortitude to do that.
2010-05-05 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2840052

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Dude, way to finish and keep strong mentally! It was my first IM, so I've got nothing to compare it to, but I have biked tough hills and run tough courses. Brother, this had BOTH! Way to go!

2010-05-05 8:30 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Hey Big man, i feel your pain about hills and such. You do all us Clydes proud. Way to tough it out brutha!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman St. George - Utah Rss Feed  

of 2