Tacoma, Washington
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 19m 3s
Overall Rank = 203/391
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/40
Pre-race routine:

AAA the prerace routine went out the window for this race. Me and my family had a few things going on the day before and I was not able to get bananas for the morning and figured it was not big deal. I am a creature of habit and it turned out to be a big deal. I woke up had a peanut butter sandwich minus the bananas, I then forgot to have my sport drink but did have some water and my vitamins. I was real nervous about this race since it has always been a life goal of mine to do a marathon so I was very excited and ready to go but was not doing my normal mental preparation and routine. No big not like I was going to win but still a creature of habit needs to keep in habit or things begin to go down hill. Other than rushing myself and not keeping it easy all was good. I felt good and just wanted to go race.
Event warmup:

The event warm up was a nice walk from where I parked over to the start line. I parked close to the finish and walked up to that spot to see what was going on and then headed down to the start so I could check in my stuff and also stretch out a little.

I got to the starting area and found the gear check. Walked over got my bag and filled it up. I then noticed my hands had black marker on them and thought oh man I just gave them my gear and rubbed off my number from the bag. I went back and asked them to look for my stuff so we could make sure the number was still on there, and we could not find my stuff. I figured at the end it would be there so I let them know it was ok and I would see them at the finish.

Then I was in my own world trying to gather all my emotion of now standing at the start area of a marathon. My first and the finally moment after years of surgery and rehab to get to this marathon. I was going over the course as best I knew t in my head, trying to have a plan of attack for the race. I was going over my goals First get a 3:30 finish time second try for a Boston time. I felt ok wit those goals and was stoked to give it a try think big go big.

Then the national anthem came and went. I was still in my own world. It was now time to focus on the task at hand and run my first marathon.

Run
  • 4h 19m 3s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my first marathon like I said and I was so emotional when I started I did not know what I was doing. I went out with the top guys and went for broke. I could feel my emotions in me as I tried to get running and hold all that energy in. I then focused on running and keeping with my goals. I had family along the run who wanted to see me and I told them around what times to be in a few spots. That gave me some incentive to run and keep on track.
Mile 1 well at 7:10 I knew I was running to fast, and might need to slow down a little. I was feeling good and adrenaline was still kicking so I just continued to run how I was. My breathing was great and my body felt good. I was feeling strong and wanted to push on through.
I did slow down a bit I got to the 5k mark at just under 24 min and was still feeling good. The marathon maniac pacer guy who had the 320 marker was passing me and I knew one goal was out, but I wanted to keep with him as long as I could. I ran with him for a bit and then settled for keeping him in my sights.
The beginning of the course was nice. It was flat and strait. It then hit a turn around spot and headed down another street that was also flat. We then hit a park, through a nice neighborhood, past a school Stadium High and back to downtown. I took the down hill a bit harder and was beginning to really find my stride. We then ran along the Tacoma waterfront and this is where life got interesting for me.
I hit a couple water stations and continued on, I was feeling ok as I had a sip of water at each stop. However my ankle and my hips were beginning to hurt very bad. My hips turned into my groin and my ankle was my foot and my ankle. This is the same problem I was having before and it started when I got new shoes. I bought the same ones I had before but it seems as if anything after 4 miles and they begin to bother me. I hoped that after training in them and breaking them in this would not happen. I was very wrong and began to pay for it. The hip and grain began to hurt my back. Just after mile seven I had to walk a bit. It was a nice walk on the water front. Nice cool morning. I walked a bit and jogged walked and jogged. I was angry and my emotions from earlier had depleted my energy store. Mentally and physically I was hurting at this point and I was only a little ways into the race. I began to jog again and decided to find a nice pace that would allow me to run and keep going. By this time the 330 pacer had paced and I was now just wanting to get through the race and not give up. I hit mile 8 and 1:02:00 I did feel good about that.
My legs began to get going again as we entered Point Defiance Park and its very insane five mile drive. Oh but before that we had to run through a tunnel. Sounds cool at first but it was a little crazy. It was bright outside and dark in the tunnel. That played with my eyes a little but it was cool to run in the tunnel. The hill after the tunnel was no joke. I think I would rather have tried to run up the side of a building. Ok back to the park. I knew this park had hills and I have run them a few times. It is a tough run at this point. Before I entered the park another mental blow came along in the form of the 345 sign. AAAAA man the wheels on my bus were gone and I was in the just be happy to be there mode. Through this portion of the race I had to do the walk jog walk method. Things still hurt a bit and I knew I could not risk real injury on this race with all that I have coming up. The Blues Brothers water station was awesome. One of my favorite movies and these people were having fun that was a great boost.
Then came Vassault hill. Yep I knew I need to run this bad boy or as much of it as I could. The hill is long and steep. My legs were hurting and short. Hills 1 Eric 0 on this one. After cresting the hill I found a nice rhythm to run to. After a few blocks I found my grandmother standing in the cold and heavy wind waiting by the side of the run to say hi. We talked for a second as I ran by and then I went on and she went home to be warm. I continued on to try and get to where my wife was with my son. I figured I was so far behind that they would be gone due to time and well it was very windy by this point and cold. Still had to walk and run. Breathing was great but the problem spots were not.
I crest yet another hill and there they were. My son and my wife. My son jumping all around and my wife snapping pictures. I crossed the road to say hello. I gave my son a hive five and my wife a kiss. I took a second to say hi and also give my son a hug. I was excited to see them. My son ran with me for a second and was having fun with that. The emotion was back. I knew I could finish but seeing them brought it all back.
It was now me and the rest of the run. Hips, ankles and feet killing me I continued my walk and run method of marathon greatness. Lots of people cheering and they all kept saying only one more hill then it gets easier. Well hill after hill came along in all shapes and sizes and the easy part seemed to elude me for a bit.
As we rounded back into down town I knew the finish line was close. I had walked a bit on a down hill due to pain but then picked it back up. I saw the mile 25 sign and knew I was getting close. I pushed and dug in a bit for some last ditch effort of energy. Amazing how my stride can open back up and I can feel so great in the last mile. I rounded the corner into the finish area. I heard my name and looked over. My aunt was there screaming hear head off. That was a great feeling. I ran on over the finish line and had completed my first marathon. I was so happy. I had not energy to show my happy but I was very happy. I got a medal and turned off my watch. I finished my first marathon in 4:19:03. That is way off my goal but I finished and I was happy about that.

What would you do differently?:

Take the start a little slower. Get new shoes made for this kind of running.
Post race
Warm down:

Said hi to my aunt and took a picture. Walked around, picked up my stuff, looked for water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

pain.

Event comments:

Very good run. It will challenge lots of runners. Unless it is your first marathon you might not get your PR on this one but a real good race.

Last updated: 2010-03-10 12:00 AM
Running
04:19:03 | 26.2 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/40
Overall: 40/391
Performance: Average
Course: hills and lots of them. Very nice course, lots of senic areas made for a good run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes