United States
72F / 22C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 43m 53s
Overall Rank = 2669/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 306/400
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Washington, PA since I was running this with my father in law. We woke up at 4:00am and had breakfast (Protien shake). My nerves were off the hook and I couldn't eat anything. I could barely get the shake down.
Event warmup:

Did some walking around and some light stretching.
Run
  • 4h 43m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Once the gun went off and we started running, I was just glad to be moving and getting the show on the road. The folks running the half and relay started with us, so the first 8 miles or so was very congested. It was difficult to settle into a pace. I tried to stay up with the 9:10 pace group, but I was quickly dropped as soon as the hills started. The hills were not really that bad in the beginning, but I did not train on hills whatsoever, so any incline took the wind out of my sails.

At about mile 2, the rain moved in. The rain was absolutely awesome. Temps were expected tpo be in the high 70's towards the end of the race, and the rain kept me really cool. The downside to that was my feet sloshing around in soaking wet shoes.

I did my best to settle into a pace. I was doing decent and feeling well until around mile 10. Right at the mile marker, I witnessed a female collapse while running - out cold. Medical was right on on it and began taking care of her, but this mixed with what the hills were doing to me had me shook mentally.

Those running the half were with us until mile 11. They broke off and headed to their finish. We kept on trucking. At mile 12-14, we hit a lot of hills. One of them was a hill that took us into Oakland. My goodness, this hill was a beast.

I've always heard about the "wall." Well, by mile 15 I faced the wall head-on. This was when I began to question whether or not I would finish. I was so mad at how I felt physically. I thought back to my long runs in training and none of those runs were anything that would cause me to even want to walk. Between mile 15 and 16 I had to start walking. This really bothered me mentally. Like I said before, in all of my training runs, I never walked, and I expected to make it through the marathon without walking at all, well at least not until mile 23 or so.

I walked for about 3 minutes, then started running again. From mile 17 through 23, I would walk about one minute for each mile ran. My feet were killing me and my pace slowed to a death march.

Once we hit mile 24, I was feeling a lot better. I'm sure it's because I knew there would be nothing that would keep me from crossing that finish line on my feet. I was able to pick the pace back up (low 9's).

We rounded the last corner and saw the finish line. I remember hearing my father in law say, "You did it, buddy!" I felt sooooo good at that moment. We crossed the finish line together with arms raised and smiles on our faces.

I don't know that I would have finished if my father in law wouldn't have been right there with me talking me through my frustration and pain. I can't put my finger on exactly what happened that made this so difficult for me. My training runs were easy. I followed a training program to the tee and never missed a run. During the race, I never passed up a fluid station without taking in fluids. I'm looking forward to another marathon to redeem myself.
What would you do differently?:

Train more on hills. Complete a more extensive training program.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some post race snacks and headed straight for the car. We had to drive back to Washington, PA, then straight back to Columbus, Oh.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill training.

Event comments:

The bannannas, apples, and oranges on the course were absolutely awesome!!!! Fluid stations were perfectly placed throughout the course. Every time I got thirsty I saw a fluid station coming up. Great job to the race director and the volunteers!!!!!!

Last updated: 2010-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
04:43:53 | 26.2 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 306/400
Overall: 2669/
Performance: Bad
Course: A nice course through downtown Pittsburgh, accross several bridges, and through various neighborhoods...........BUT THE HILLS WERE CRAZY!!!!!!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes