General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri2Remember Collins Hill Super Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri2Remember Collins Hill Super Sprint - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lawrenceville, Georgia
United States
Tri2Remember Foundation
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 56m 3s
Overall Rank = 20/127
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Ate peanut butter banana sandwich. Had large coffee.
Event warmup:

None. Was late getting to race. Had about 4 mins to setup transition area. Yikes!
Swim
  • 05m 44s
  • 273 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Actually felt decent on my swim considering I have been in the pool 2 time s in 11 months. I had major surgery back in August and developed 6 blood clots (2 in calf and 4 in lungs) from that surgery. Been a long road to recovery. My swim is also my weakest leg, by FAR so I was actually expecting a slower swim. Happy with the results. No warm up at all.
What would you do differently?:

Get there earlier and warm up like I had some sense.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Avg transition time for me. Need to work on it. Faster than most, but slower than the top 2 or 3.

Hurry up. It's a race not a carnival cruise.
Bike
  • 30m 30s
  • 8.5 miles
  • 16.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed the bike and passed at least 20 people....did not get passed on bike. Thought avg speed would be better but hills hampered the overall speed.

Just need more hill training and more time on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Legs were pretty fried from last hill at end of bike leg. Pushed about best I could. Training has been limited due to health setbacks. Happy to be racing.

Just need more hill training...bike training in general.
Run
  • 17m 90s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I was expecting a much better run. I have had several good bricks with better runs but legs were just fried and I could not get HR down or legs loose. Went about as fast as I could.

Just do more brick training.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some fruit and cheered on the rest of the competitors all the way to the last competitor...hung out with Coldfire who was 2nd OA - superfast, that guy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited training. Health recovery.

Event comments:

I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Embolism this past Sept. 6 blood clots and spent 4 days in Pulmonary ICU. Spent 7 months on blood thinners with little or no training. Signed up for this race as a way to somewhat celebrate my return to good health. Happy to be racing and training again. Had other good news in the past couple weeks...found out I am a Kona Ironman Lottery winner.....yahoo!!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:44 | 273 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 50/127
Performance: Good
Suit: One piece Desoto.
Course: 250 meter swim in pool. Down and back 5 times...time trial start.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:30 | 08.5 miles | 16.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 14/127
Performance: Good
None.
Wind: Little
Course: This was a loop course with a few rollers and two big hills. One at mile one and the second at mile 7. It was a decently challenging course. Time was not nearly as fast as I would like but it ended up being 14th or 15th fastest bike split. Top speed was 39 MPH on one of the hills. Pushed the entire ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:90 | 02 miles | 09m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 35/127
Performance: Average
None
Course: 2.5 loops around Aquatic center. Mostly flat with one hill you had to run up twice on each loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-03 9:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Tri2Remember Collins Hill Super Sprint

2010-05-04 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2834928

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Subject: RE: Tri2Remember Collins Hill Super Sprint
Great job, Brian!  It was good to meet you and Coldfire at the race.  Excellent time, especially considering the medical issues that have prevented your training.  When is your next race and what do you expect to be your Kona finish time?
2010-05-04 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2835270

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Very nice job Brian, especially what you have been through the past 6-8 months. 

Until Nov. I lived about a block from the pool and trained there and coached at the high school so I am very familar with that area and that is not an easy bike nor is it a stroll in the park for the trail run around the softball field.....Awesome job and congrats on your return to good health.

Steve
2010-05-04 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2834928

User image

Extreme Veteran
Steve - thanks a bunch.  Happy to be racing again.

Calvin....good seeing you out there.  My next race is the Warrior Dash on 5.22 and then the Rock n Rollman 70.3 in Macon on 6.5.  Not really ready for that distance but I need to do a 70.3 to qualify for the Kona race.  As far as expected time....I have NO idea.  I am just hoping to finish in under 16:59:59  (that's the cutoff).  I was not planning on doing a full IM this year but know I have to....haha.  Hard to turn down the opportunity to go to Kona, ya know?

Smile
2010-05-04 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2836068

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
That will be a trip to remember!  I agree, you can't pass that up.  I hear some guy named Lance is doing his first Ironman this year at Kona.  You should be able to take him!  He has a reputation as a pretty good cyclist but you can take him on the swim and run.  Best of luck!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri2Remember Collins Hill Super Sprint Rss Feed