www.3disciplines.com
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 54s
Overall Rank = 27/172
Age Group = 19 and under
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

The race start was 9AM so I decided to get up at 6AM. I went to the bathroom and ate a Clif Bar and a banana and drank some water. I then got my bike ready and packed it in the car and gathered the rest of my things. When I woke up the weather was fine but shortly after that the severe thunderstorms rolled in. By the time I got to Willow, the rain had ended and it looked like it was going to be a good day. I got to the park well before 8 and proceeded to registration and transition setup. At about 8:35 I ate one Orange Burst Gu.
Event warmup:

At about 8:40 I went on a warmup jog until the pre-race announcements. I headed to the starting area and moved towards the front of the crowd. I stretched during the announcements and kept moving so as not to tighten up.
Run
  • 21m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I started at a very comfortable pace; hard but not too hard. Immediately I tried to find where I would fit into the mass pace-wise. A large amount of people went out too fast and started to slow. I just focused on finding a solid pace that I could hold but not burn out for the rest of the race. I tucked in behind a Hammer Nutrition guy and followed him until the end when I passed him.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was very happy with my performance.
Transition 1
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

I passed several people in the last stretch into the transition area. I'm not sure why people began to slow down right then. I got my shoes off quickly and threw my bike shoes on. I ran out of transition and stepped off to the side to mount my bike. I got up to speed and my legs felt pretty drained. I glanced at my computer and was pleasantly surprised to see 21mph.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 35m 13s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out at a 21mph pace and my goal was to keep above 20 for the entire leg. Overall I think I passed more people than passed me. The pace that I was holding seemed to be working well for me. I was holding my ground but now burning out. I got kind of annoyed when some people passed me right before a corner and then slowed excessively blocking my turn. I didn't lose any significant amount of time, but I did not need to slow that much for some of the turns because we were given a large amount of room on the road. I passed a few people right before we got into the park and tried to hold that position until the end.

Not much. Just train more on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

I took my feet out of my shoes well before the transition area so an not to encounter any problems when everyone else was fiddling around. I dismounted and ran over to my area of the rack. The rest of the transition went well. I didn't get caught up on anything and made it out in good time.

Nothing.
Run
  • 20m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Right out of transition I was running next to a random man who seemed to be going at a nice pace. My legs felt like bricks and it was obvious that the man I was running with felt the exact same. I decided to just stick with him for as long as I could. My goal for the second 5k was to keep pushing the pace and run a sub 20min. Before the first mile, my legs started to feel great and I passed the man I was running with. A Team Fraser racer passed me and I had to size him up to see if he was in my AG(I wanted to win). I figured that he looked a little older than me. I chased him up until about 1.75 miles and then passed him. I kept picking up the pace trying to put distance between my pursuers and I. I chased down the Hammer guy from the first 5k and passed him. When we wound near the pool I put the picked it up some more and sprinted past 3 people down into the finish chute.

Nothing. The second 5k felt solid and I feel like it was a great performance.
Post race
Warm down:

I sat down and stretched immediately after my finish. I then got a slice of pizza and other snacks and headed to my car to drink 12oz of Endurox R4 recovery drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. I surprised myself and the race went off without a hitch.

Event comments:

I executed my race strategy perfectly. Everything seemed to go as planned and by body delivered when it was needed. I didn't experience any GI issues before/during/after the race. I sipped water from my aerodrink on the bike leg and ate one Orange Burst Gu. My nutrition plan worked well and I think I will use it in the future. I fueled up 2.5hours before the start and only drank water save for one Gu up until the start. I started my recovery strategy immediately following the race. I purchased my race nutrition from www.SportsBistro.com and I am very happy with the products.

Last updated: 2010-04-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:49 | 03.11 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 36/172
Performance: Good
Course: One loop around the inside of the park. Few small puddles but nothing to worry about. The entire course was flat and very fast. Great course support and water/Gatorade at each mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:35:13 | 12 miles | 20.44 mile/hr
Overall: 55/172
Wind: Little
Course: Wound a little through the park and then out onto Willow-Huron River Drive-West. The course was an open course with volunteers and police working intersections. There were a few puddles but nothing major. The course was very flat and fast out-and-back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:38 | 03.11 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Overall: 16/172
Course: Another loop of the first 5k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-03 10:16 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
Subject: Willow Duathlon

2010-05-03 11:01 PM
in reply to: #2834975

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Willow Duathlon

Nice job. I'm glad the t-storms ended before we started.  Congrats!

2010-05-05 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2834975

Master
Subject: RE: Willow Duathlon

Great race!  You were smookin fast.  I'm glad too that the weather held out for us.  It was a fun little race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Willow Duathlon Rss Feed