General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colorado Springs Splash and Dash Interest? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-04 9:11 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Subject: Colorado Springs Splash and Dash Interest?

Are you interested in participating in the Splash and Dash Series this summer? If so please comment at the bottom of this thread so we can gauge interest!

Thanks,
Lisa, Cami via Christi

Splash and Dash Athletes,

Good evening! As you know, Lisa Rainsberger and I (Cami Stock) very much enjoyed bringing the Splash and Dash to Prospect Lake last year, and it is our hope to continue with a Splash and Dash race series again this year in a different venue. We hope you'll join us!

The City of Colorado Springs, despite our best efforts (and yours!) to write the council, has elected to close the lake. This put Lisa and I in a very hard position, as finding a body of water suitable and safe for a swim is expensive and difficult. We weighed all options, and it was in the best interest of our athletes for safety(!) and cost to the athletes to forego the use of Prospect Lake. It was a tough decision, and not one we made without considerable research of resources, safety, and feasibility during the lake closure.

HOWEVER...we have an opportunity to align ourselves with an outdoor pool, currently managed by a group trying to save the aquatics facilities in Colorado Springs. It is not a lake swim, but the outdoor venue coupled by a safe run gives athletes an opportunity for a mid-week swim/run practice....and for first timers, the pool may be a more comfortable place to start, all while helping to maintain the swimming presence in the city!

Dates would be Tuesday nights, held tentatively 6/22, 6/29, 7/13, 7/27, 8/3, and 8/10. The pool is located at Union and Templeton Gap. Swim would be 300-900 yards for adults, 100-300 for youth, and a 4 mile run for the adults. The run will not be open to traffic.

Again, please respond to this thread if you are interested and I will let Lisa and Cami jknow.

Thanks everyone!

Christi aka webgirlck

2010-05-04 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2835529

User image

Crested Butte
Subject: RE: Colorado Springs Splash and Dash Interest?
My company just sent me to a 6 month job assignment in Colorado Springs, I'm interested.
2010-05-05 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
Though I am otherwise interested, my wife works Tuesday nights and I am with the kids, 3 and 5months.
Mostly I just wanted to say Thanks, for your continued efforts!
2010-05-07 7:36 PM

I'm there!
2010-05-08 12:54 PM

Definitely interested!
2010-05-09 8:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
As the Women's 1500m Overall winner from last year (yeah, let's not discuss how many women actually DID the whole series at that distance...) I thought I should chime in here. I'm completely bummed that Prospect will be closed so it won't be an OWS, but I am glad Cami and Lisa are still trying to do the series this year. I will definitely be there for the series if they do have it. And the good news is that I've been working on both my swimming and running (with some good improvements) so hopefully they won't have to wait so long for me to finish! =p

2010-05-10 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
lodewey, a win is a win. Everyone else had the same opportunity.

I may be able to do some of the races this year.

It's a travesty the way Colorado Springs mismanages its finances. The things they've done to punish residents for voting down an ill-defined tax increase borders on criminal behavior. Does anyone find it appalling that while they are unable to fund parks and turning off street lights, they magically came up with $4.5 million to buy land in a shopping center so they could complete work on a nice-to-have, but not entirely necessary road project?
2010-05-12 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2848101

I may not be able to do all of them but I would be interested in most of them. 

If I have to do all of them to save the event...well, I'll just have to sacrifice and do all of them.  Laughing

2010-05-24 10:53 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
The Splash and Dash is on! Here are the details:

The Springs Splash and Dash is a GO!  This is a great opportunity to practice for your upcoming tri or to try multisport for the first time.  

Attached is the event flyer for details.  Within the week, online signup will be available at runningguru.com as well.  I will send the link as soon as it is available.  Here's the quick info:

What:  2010 Springs Splash and Dash

Where:  Portal Pool, 3535 N. Hancock Ave, Colorado Springs

When:  6/15, 6/29, 7/13, 7/27, 8/3, 8/10 (tuesday nights), 5:30pm youth, 6:00pm adult

Distances: 

Youth-150yd swim/1.25mi run

Adult-600 or 900yd swim/4 mi run

Cost:  $12 youth, $18 adult (less for entire series--see flyer), must be a USAT member and pay a $5.00 pool fee.  

Please see the website for any additional details, and don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.  Thanks, and hope to see you and all of your friends there!

2010-05-24 10:54 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
The flyer would not attach.  Please PM me if you would like the flyer.
Christi
2010-06-17 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

I was a volunteer and the first race seemed to go OK. There were lots more kids than adults and some of the kids are very fast.

It looked like a way to get in a solid workout at race pace to prepare for other races this summer. I'll likely be volunteering at the next race. Hope to see more of you out there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colorado Springs Splash and Dash Interest? Rss Feed