OC Marathon
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 59s
Overall Rank = 2969/6112
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 60/277
Pre-race routine:

very light breakfast this morning.. just a banana and light fluids.. really wanted to shoot for a PR and didn't want to have to stop and pee 10 times..
Event warmup:

just staying loose and warm... Not too crowded and port-a-potties were plenty at the start... Had about an hour to kill from the time we were dropped off.
Run
  • 2h 15m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

well... I went into this race wide-eyed and looking for a 13.1 PR.. Having come off of Surf City 13.1, reverse sprint tri 2 weeks after that, LA 26.2 3 weeks after that, and Ruth Anderson 50K 2 weeks ago, I really think it didn't matter how I felt.. I wasn't going to get there.. The weather was good and I figured I had my head wrapped around it fine. Started slow staying with a friend until I warmed up a bit. After mile 2 water stop I put the pedal to the metal. I took only a few walk breaks as I wanted to push to the end. My legs felt good but I just didn't have enough left in me. I did try to use course as much as possible, but water only. Never have used sports drink that was offered and didn't want to try it during the race. I had some Power Gel Blasts and a snack bar, and took a couple of Endurolytes as it got a bit warm. You can only push so hard and there's nothing left to push on.. I was picking asphalt out of my tongue for about a half hour after it was over, pushing those last 2 miles...
What would you do differently?:

nothing...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked about a half mile to catch a ride home. After that the Starbucks was wonderful..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

just too tired from previous races but I left it all out there.. Other than all the turns on this course, I have no idea where I could have gained back that 62 seconds to get my PR..

Event comments:

I need to take a break between races.... This many races in a row is killing me... Find a way to shelve my "Ironman training" attitude and step back a bit.. Oh yeah, got Bay to Breakers in 2 weeks and San Diego Rock & Roll 13.1 on June 6th. After that comes a well-deserved break.. I was exhausted when I crossed the finish line and my humble apology to the volunteer who came to check on me. All I could say to her after I caught my breath, was "I didn't get my PR".. I am sorry.. If it were not for the volunteers, we would not race.. This is a fun course for those who want a decent challenge..

Last updated: 2010-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:15:59 | 13.1 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 60/277
Overall: 2969/6112
Performance: Good
HR got a bit high as I pushed it today.. AVG: 154 MAX: 179..
Course: well-planned course with just a few areas of rolly stuff. Only a couple of sucky areas that got congested and slowed to a walk... I was warned trying to push for a PR might be tough on this course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes