General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-10-13 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2839710

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
Subject: RE: LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival : Official Thread
I fly out on Friday - definitely getting excited!!! I'll drive the course after check in on Saturday - really still don't understand quite what it's like as hilly is all relative depending on where you come from!

2010-10-13 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3151013

User image

muppetdog - 2010-10-13 9:06 PM I fly out on Friday - definitely getting excited!!! I'll drive the course after check in on Saturday - really still don't understand quite what it's like as hilly is all relative depending on where you come from!

So, its hilly, but not mountainous. Most of the hills are at the beginning and at the end, with a couple of hills in the middle. There's a short, but steep climb at mile 5, immediately after hard right turn. However, the first 8 miles of the bike ride are part of a local half-marathon called the Decker Challenge, and that is one of Austin's hilliest runs.

There are rolling hills on the pavement part of the run course, and a long off-road hill as well. So, in short, its not flat.

Cool
2010-10-13 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3151088

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
GregInAustin - 2010-10-13 8:30 PM

muppetdog - 2010-10-13 9:06 PM I fly out on Friday - definitely getting excited!!! I'll drive the course after check in on Saturday - really still don't understand quite what it's like as hilly is all relative depending on where you come from!

So, its hilly, but not mountainous. Most of the hills are at the beginning and at the end, with a couple of hills in the middle. There's a short, but steep climb at mile 5, immediately after hard right turn. However, the first 8 miles of the bike ride are part of a local half-marathon called the Decker Challenge, and that is one of Austin's hilliest runs.

There are rolling hills on the pavement part of the run course, and a long off-road hill as well. So, in short, its not flat.

Cool

:-) For me, Vineman is hilly-ish (but normal local terrian around here). I'm not sure I've seen the elevation profile for this one translate to similar to that...that's what I meant about hilly being different to everyone! A friend from NOLA who did this last year called this hilly but she lives in a very flat place!
2010-10-14 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

Finally made it to my Friday!!! I am geeked!!! Off tomorrow to pack up and head down as soon as the squids out of school! Take it easy Friday evening, do all the Saturday check in and drive the bike course ... maybe a quick swim in the lake

Greg - thanks for all the updates on the bike course! Not worried about the terrain but definitely want to check out the area where there is road construction and someone previously mentioned some transition from road to bridge that had a pretty serious bump you needed to look out for

Hope everyone is having a good taper week and has an awesome race on Sunday!

2010-10-14 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Oh bouy, hills!  I am hoping the decrease in elevation by almost 4000' will make the breathing, and therefore the climbing, a lot easier.
2010-10-14 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
I'm a "sprint to half" athlete for the race this weekend.  Bib 948, wave 8, 8am.  My last tri event took all of 55 minutes.  Hope I'm ready. 

2010-10-14 1:58 PM

New user
At this time I'm fairly optimistic that it will be wet suit legal the water in Austin always seems to run on the cooler side...

Last year was wet suit legal despite the drought and the warmer temperatures.

This year we've had more rain and the temps have been much cooler...i'd say the 2 degree temp diff as stated by Dennis is the most worry some part.
2010-10-14 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Can anyone provide a definitive answer on whether the rule requiring tops on runners/cyclists is being enforced at Longhorn? I have a buddy who does not like to wear a shirt when running (he can do this and make it look good, unlike myself who needs a tri-top to keep the 6-pack insulation, um, insulated). I think I remember shirtless runners in the past, but it was also probably pre-IM sanctioning and when it was well over 90F on the course.

Thanks - looking forward to No. 4.
2010-10-14 3:13 PM

New user
Just found this nice page that has the bike and run elevations hope it might be useful

http://www.trimaven.com/Ironman-70.3/longhorn-ironman-703/All-Pages

2010-10-14 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3152685

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
dblack1801 - 2010-10-14 2:39 PM Can anyone provide a definitive answer on whether the rule requiring tops on runners/cyclists is being enforced at Longhorn? I have a buddy who does not like to wear a shirt when running (he can do this and make it look good, unlike myself who needs a tri-top to keep the 6-pack insulation, um, insulated). I think I remember shirtless runners in the past, but it was also probably pre-IM sanctioning and when it was well over 90F on the course. Thanks - looking forward to No. 4.

From the race website 
3. A shirt or sport top must be worn at all times. Contestants caught without a shirt or sport top may be disqualified.
2010-10-14 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3152577

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
Gawaine79 - 2010-10-14 1:58 PM
At this time I'm fairly optimistic that it will be wet suit legal the water in Austin always seems to run on the cooler side...

Last year was wet suit legal despite the drought and the warmer temperatures.

This year we've had more rain and the temps have been much cooler...i'd say the 2 degree temp diff as stated by Dennis is the most worry some part.

On the Ironman website there is an article about Austin and it mentions water temps in the 72-74 degree range. I dont know if thy are talking historical temps or currnet, but I agree, based on the cool evening temps recently, we should be wetsuit legal!

2010-10-14 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3152830

User image

From the race website 
3. A shirt or sport top must be worn at all times. Contestants caught without a shirt or sport top may be disqualified.

Which is ironic, considering Austin is a topless-friendly city, and has the only clothing-optional State Park in the entire state.

I for one am wearing a tri-suit and leaving my top on. Nobody wants to see me without a shirt on. LOL!

Cool
2010-10-14 4:07 PM

User image

Regular
It's finally here! Leaving work now. Flying to Austin tomorrow morning! See you guys and gals at the expo on Saturday. Beyond excited. Good luck everyone!
2010-10-14 5:11 PM

User image

New user

Fort Worth
Bib # 958 start at 8:00am (35-39 M)

My name is Lance!  I'm excited as all get out for this.  We've been struggling with illness this week in my household.  I've been doing more yoga than anything else.  Feeling pretty good tho.

there are 2 things I can't wait to see

1. The finish line
2. My first Margarita at Hula Hut post race!!!

See you guys at the event, travel safe and God Bless!

Lance

"Persevere" (Heb 12:1)
"Transform" (Rom 12:2)
2010-10-14 9:07 PM

The Woodlands, TX
so I gots a question regarding the rule that a top must be worn at all times....does that include having to wear a tri top under wetsuit? Or they just talking about bike and run?

Ps..I almost peed myself with excitement today once 5:00 hit and work was done for the week. See everybody Sat and Sun..
2010-10-14 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3153371

User image

IUScott99 - 2010-10-14 9:07 PM so I gots a question regarding the rule that a top must be worn at all times....does that include having to wear a tri top under wetsuit? Or they just talking about bike and run?

Ps..I almost peed myself with excitement today once 5:00 hit and work was done for the week. See everybody Sat and Sun..

Save the peeing on yourself for the race.

According to the rules in your Athlete Information Guide:

Run Course Rules & Instructions
6. A shirt or racing top must be worn at all times.

Bike Course Rules & Instructions
7. Cycling Shoes and helmet may be clipped or attached to the bicycle. Shoes and shirt must be worn at all times.

Swim Course Rules & Instructions
(No mention of shirt or tri top.)

Swim to Bike Transition
... Public nudity is not permitted.

If anyone else can find mention of not wearing a shirt during the swim, please let us know. Otherwise, I would conclude that since swimming without a shirt is allowed, no top is required under the wetsuit. Going without a shirt is not considered public nudity, at least not in Austin. However, if you were really really concerned, you should ask the Race Director.

Cool

2010-10-14 10:47 PM

User image

Regular
I'm here! Oh my is the weather gorgeous.  So far I've walked around the city, had some great food, and listened to some great music. Race location does matter!

I feel pretty good about myself--I reassembled my bike for the first time, ever. Tomorrow I'll take it out and make sure it doesn't fall apart.  Also going to drive the bike course and see just what "hills" in Austin mean. 

See you all soon! (Say hi if you see me during the race, I look just like my picture!)

Heather
PS sun feels pretty intense, if you are from anywhere north of here make sure to bring sunscreen.
2010-10-14 11:06 PM
in reply to: #3153548

User image

hawaiihmb - 2010-10-14 10:47 PM I'm here! Oh my is the weather gorgeous.  So far I've walked around the city, had some great food, and listened to some great music. Race location does matter!

I feel pretty good about myself--I reassembled my bike for the first time, ever. Tomorrow I'll take it out and make sure it doesn't fall apart.  Also going to drive the bike course and see just what "hills" in Austin mean. 

See you all soon! (Say hi if you see me during the race, I look just like my picture!)

Heather
PS sun feels pretty intense, if you are from anywhere north of here make sure to bring sunscreen.

WELCOME TO AUSTIN!!!

Sounds like you're off to a great start. There's lots to do here, but save it for after the race. If you need ideas for places to eat or sights to see, just ask!

Good luck at the race!

Cool

p.s. Definitely need the sunscreen!

Edited by GregInAustin 2010-10-14 11:06 PM
2010-10-15 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3153581

User image

Regular
GregInAustin - 2010-10-15 12:06 AM 
WELCOME TO AUSTIN!!!

Sounds like you're off to a great start. There's lots to do here, but save it for after the race. If you need ideas for places to eat or sights to see, just ask!

Good luck at the race!

Cool

Thanks Greg! You've been a huge help already with your insider knowledge of the area and the race!  I have really appreciated it.  No worries on overdoing it before the race, I'm not a party animal to begin with LOL. Just appreciative of the local culture.

Here's a question you may or may not be able to answer--any ideas on a good bbq place that will satisfy both meat eaters and vegetarians alike?
Heather 
2010-10-15 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3153762

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
hawaiihmb - 2010-10-15 7:33 AM
GregInAustin - 2010-10-15 12:06 AM 
WELCOME TO AUSTIN!!!

Good luck at the race!

Cool

Thanks Greg! You've been a huge help already with your insider knowledge of the area and the race!  I have really appreciated it.  No worries on overdoing it before the race, I'm not a party animal to begin with LOL. Just appreciative of the local culture.

Here's a question you may or may not be able to answer--any ideas on a good bbq place that will satisfy both meat eaters and vegetarians alike?
Heather 

Yeah, right !!! LOL ...

2010-10-15 9:28 AM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member

Heather 

Per The Salt Lick, some of the best BBQ you can find anywhere: I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian!  ;p

Seriously, you'll find plenty of good vegetarian/vegan places to eat, but you're not likely to find good BBQ and good veggie in the same places.  Slow cooking giant slabs of meat is kind of antithetical to the whole veggie/vegan concept.

2010-10-15 10:29 AM

User image

Heather 

Are you kidding? Its Austin!!

Ruby's BBQ on 29th and Guadalupe has a complete menu of veggie dishes, salads, tacos, and desserts, in addition to great BBQ for the meat lovers!

http://rubysbbq.com/

Green Mesquite on Barton Springs road may be good, too, since they have salads, veggie burgers, and baked potatoes.

http://www.greenmesquite.net/

Cool
2010-10-15 6:37 PM

User image

Orlando
At the athlete check in they said the water temp was 73.1 so it looks like we are good to go for wetsuits.

Also just drove the bike course.  Wow, its pretty rough out there.  I saw a number of places where I can problems happening.  The only good news is that it seems most of the uphills are fairly short (but steep) and the downhills seem to be quite a bit longer.  Hopefully that means we can get a good amount of aero benefit.

Good Luck! See everyone out there.
2010-10-16 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3154267

User image

Regular
GregInAustin - 2010-10-15 11:29 AM
Heather 

Are you kidding? Its Austin!!

Ruby's BBQ on 29th and Guadalupe has a complete menu of veggie dishes, salads, tacos, and desserts, in addition to great BBQ for the meat lovers!

http://rubysbbq.com/

Green Mesquite on Barton Springs road may be good, too, since they have salads, veggie burgers, and baked potatoes.

http://www.greenmesquite.net/

Cool

Greg, you rock, thanks so much!  I think Ruby's may just be the place .

Heather
2010-10-16 7:13 AM

User image

Regular
Went to the race expo yesterday and picked up my stuff.  I've decided to do my gear check in today.  They had a great point about the difficultly of doing it all in the dark tomorrow morning. It's hard enough with 1 transition, but to find my way around 2....

Also drove the race course. I'd consider it hilly--rolling hills--in the beginning. It get's pretty flat though in the middle.  Watch out for that turn onto Blue Bluff early on. Sharp right turn directly into a steep hill, I can't see how anyone will have any type of momentum to get started.  Also, street signs don't seem to exist for a good portion of the race. I don't know how many volunteers they'll have on the course, so watch for those orange arrows on the road directing which way to go.

Sooooo nervous! My first 70.3, and I'm hitting that point of "I should've trained hard, what was I thinking" that seems to happen before I try something new.

Heather
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9