Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon
63F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 09m 23s
Overall Rank = 1337/4109
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 328/1660
Pre-race routine:

I set my alarm for 4am but awoke at 3:30am to lightening and thunder. I decided to get up and eat. I had a high protein yogurt w/ cereal and peanut butter. I fell back asleep till 5:20! Oh no I was running behind. I stayed at my friend Carrie's house and she was running the half. So we both got ready. Dragged my hubby out of bed and we headed to the race about 5:50. Made it dowtown and parked by 6:05am.
Event warmup:

So from the parking garage to the start was about a mile. It was pouring rain and I didn't have an umbrella. So w/ the hubby pissed b/c he was soaked and my friend Carrie who was nervous about PRing the half I was trying to stay calm. My goal was to finish b/w 4-4:20 and to just start slow.... So I kept telling that to myself, and I also kept telling myself that the rain sucked but that everyone else had to run in it as well!!

So Carrie and I got to the start and line up about 3:45 pace group. She wanted to get a 1:40 half so I just stayed w/ her until the start. When I crossed the start line I passed my hubby and gave him a high five. Honestly I was thinking to myself, "wtf am I doing running a marathon, in this sh#tty weather, w/out proper training (my longest run was 14mi)" but I just kept a calm, positive attitude and chugged along.
Run
  • 4h 09m 23s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to run the first half slower to feel out the course and make it through the big hills and pick it up the second half. Turns out I ran the second half about the same as the first. Which was fine b/c I did about a 9:30 pace for 26.2 miles.
What would you do differently?:

Train longer than a month! I never really stick w/ a training plan for a marathon but I had not been running consistantly for a while.
Post race
Warm down:

Get through the race coral and find my hubby~ Also grabbed a banana and go-gurt... Walked and walked back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of overall training. Lack of speedwork....

Event comments:

Great fans, great course, had an amazing time :)

Last updated: 2010-04-12 12:00 AM
Running
04:09:23 | 26.2 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 328/1660
Overall: 1337/4109
Performance: Average
Course: The course was great... I knew that it was going to be hilly, and hilly it was but once we reached the top of the highest summit at about mi 8 it was a great view of Cincy!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-05-05 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Subject: Cincinatti Flying Pig Marathon

2010-05-05 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2839985

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Subject: RE: Cincinatti Flying Pig Marathon
Sound like you were around us the entire time!  Good run and let us know when and where you next one is.

Congrats again on a difficult race both with the hills and the weather!
2010-05-07 5:57 AM
in reply to: #2839985

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Subject: RE: Cincinatti Flying Pig Marathon

Yeah I think I was around everyone and just didn't know it! Def regained the love of marathon running for me.  Hopefully I'll have the same experience during the ironman....

Next marathon Dec 5th in Vegas baby!!!  Flights and hotels are cheap now.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinatti Flying Pig Marathon Rss Feed