General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-06 12:41 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Indiana
Subject: Bike help
I currently train on a mountain bike (Gary Fisher) and plan to buy a road or tri bike this fall/winter.  I want to buy some clipless pedals and shoes that I can use and race with now, but take off later and use with the new bike.  I have ridden with clipless, but it was a while ago.  Any brand/type suggestions?  Thanks.

2010-05-06 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2841660

User image

alexandria, VA
Subject: RE: Bike help
ive used shimano SPDs and shimano road pedals and also the look keo pedals (similar to the shimano road pedals).  the shimano SPD shoes are easier to walk around in and are usually used for mountain bikes - the shoes i have for these have laces and look like normal shoes.  the road type pedals from shimano and look are harder to walk around in - the cleat sticks out from the bottom of the shoe - and i feel like they clip in more securely to the pedal.  i like the road type better and use those on my road and tri bike.  the one downside is you can only clip in on one side of the pedal, which takes some getting used to at first.

there are also speedplays which you can clip in on both sides of the pedal and (although i have never used them) i assume are comparable to the look keos. 

if i were starting over again id buy some look keos and skip the SPDs.  also be prepared to fall over at least once, it happens to everyone so dont worry.  ive fallen 3 times on account of clipless pedals - but now if i try to ride a bike without clipless pedals ill find my feet separating from the pedal on the upstroke and it just feels uncomfortable.
2010-05-06 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Here's my .02.

I, too, started on a MTB.  I went with the Shimano clipless with the speed cleats (because I didn't want to spend the extra $$ for specific road shoes when I bought a roadie).  When I bought the pedals (same ones) for the roadie, they came with the cleats.  So, I have an extra pair of cleats, now.

Fast-forward - and I now want to get a pair of tri shoes.  In looking around, I "think" the Pearl Izumi tri fly's will accept my speed cleats.  So, I'm not looking at having to buy new pedals.

I "could" continue to ride both bikes with the same MTB shoes.  THAT was my plan, originally (in case I decided I didn't want to put too much into this tri thing).

I hope this helps, even a little.

jeff

2010-05-06 1:08 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Indiana
Thanks for the input.
2010-05-06 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I've used Look, Shimano SPD, and Speedplay. Right now I use Speedplay on the road, and Shimano SPD off-road.

For years, I raced (USCF bike racing) on Shimano SPDs with light touring shoes. Same cleat as the off-road SPDs. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi road shoes with the Shimano SPD cleats that I used in spin classes, and I've used them on the road on occasion.

Road Speedplay does not lend itself to walking any appreciable distance (even with the Cafe Covers).

If you're looking for something that's usable for both, I'd say the Shimano SPDs give you the most versatility.
2010-05-07 4:20 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Indiana
What about eggbeaters?

2010-05-07 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I have the eggbeaters on my MTB (came with it) and I like them for the MTB as they are easy to get in and out of. I can yank my foot out before crashing in a real big hurry if I need to.

However I wouldn't use them on a road or tri bike. They don't keep my foot secure enough and I don't feel like I transfer as much power with them.

I have a set of Shimano SPD's and they sit in the closet. I have the Look Keo's on my tri bike and I love them!
2010-05-07 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2843714

Regular
Noblesville, IN

I went from SPD to speedplay and it helped my knee with the extra float. Love speedplay.

Cheers,

Chad
2010-05-07 11:07 AM

User image

Champion
MA
For cross/mtb I ride mtb pedals/shoes and for road/tri bike road or tri shoes/road pedals.

My husband got a pair of Shimano tri shoes that have both mtb and road cleat systems place to attach your cleats. You may want to find shoes like that and buy some cheep MTB pedals for now (look at probikekit.com and some are about $30) and then get road pedals when you get road/tri bike and only need to get the pedals not new shoes.

I like Shimano mtb and road pedals. Like saddles there is a different opinion from folks as we are all unique. Do you need a lot of float or not? Hard to know from the internet.
2010-05-07 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2841706

Veteran
Griswold, Connecticut
nc452010 - 2010-05-06 12:57 PM

Here's my .02.

I, too, started on a MTB.  I went with the Shimano clipless with the speed cleats (because I didn't want to spend the extra $$ for specific road shoes when I bought a roadie).  When I bought the pedals (same ones) for the roadie, they came with the cleats.  So, I have an extra pair of cleats, now.

Fast-forward - and I now want to get a pair of tri shoes.  In looking around, I "think" the Pearl Izumi tri fly's will accept my speed cleats.  So, I'm not looking at having to buy new pedals.

I "could" continue to ride both bikes with the same MTB shoes.  THAT was my plan, originally (in case I decided I didn't want to put too much into this tri thing).

I hope this helps, even a little.

jeff

This is exactly my story as well.  I'm happy with the SPD cleats and mountain type shoes.  My shoes have the laces and a velcro strap.  I have the laces loose enough that only the velcro strap is needed.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike help Rss Feed