General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-07 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Subject: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman : Official Thread
Just sent in registration and money today.  Who else is in?  I am following the 36 week IM plan on trifuel.com, and have 20 weeks left until race day.

2010-05-10 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2845382

User image

Veteran
Frontenac , Kansas
Subject: RE: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman : Official Thread
I'm in. I'll be using the 20 week BT training program. I'm stoked about the whole thing. Nutrition is what I need to work on. It can't be that hard though. I like eating
2010-06-10 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Frontenac , Kansas
What's up eveyone? We're ending week 16 this Sunday and starting week 15 Monday. I've been dealing with plantars fasciitis for about 4 weeks now. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I try to stretch my foot in the morning with a soft ball. then after exercise, I roll a bottle of frozen water under my foot and take a couple Ibuprophen.

Training is going, some days even short training days seem long. Today was no exception. I've been tired for a couple days. Most of it is getting up really early so I don't have to traing all in the evening. 4am comes early and I'm sure I will see earlier ones.

If anyone is interested I started a blog page too. WinTimTimRacing.Blogspot.com, because of the expense of this little adventure I've been asking for sponsors and so they don't have to create a user name here at BT I started the blog so they can follow my progress.

Enough about me already. How's everyone else's training. Any break throughs? Any good training advise? Any bad training advise? Everyone having a good hair day?

Ok then I'll be keeping an eye on this page for any futrther updates. See you at the races!
2010-06-14 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Training is going OK.  I am a little behind my training schedule but I've been told that I am still ahead of the curve.  15 weeks seems right around the corner.  I'm starting to get a little stressed.  It feels like having a looming deadline that I can't make.

Good training advise.  I have been part of two mentor groups lately.  Both mentors have had IM experience.  They both say that the two most important workouts each week are the long bike and the long run.  Whatever you do, don't miss the long weekly bike ride.  One of them told me that he also thought that the weekly bike speed session was the 3rd most important workout of the week.  So I am trying to keep up with my plan with special emphasis on not missing those 3 weekly workouts.

I'll check out that blog.
2010-06-15 11:13 AM

Quick question for anyone - does anyone have a Garmin Connect link to the bike course? I've had a difficult time finding accurate elevation info and, living two states away, will not see the course ahead of time.

Thanks!!

Chris
2010-06-17 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2922816

User image

Veteran
Frontenac , Kansas
csnowardt - 2010-06-15 11:13 AM

Quick question for anyone - does anyone have a Garmin Connect link to the bike course? I've had a difficult time finding accurate elevation info and, living two states away, will not see the course ahead of time.

Thanks!!

Chris

Sorry Chris, I can't help you there. The only Garmin I have is the first generation Foretrex 101. It still works but you have to be a smart guy to know the language if it's not so out dated now to get it to download.

2010-06-17 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Frontenac , Kansas
Just finisheed a 10 1/2 mile run in 93 degree heat. should be a good way to get ready for the run.
2010-06-21 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2929324

LOL - thanks anyway! I've heard the bike course described as flat as well as rolling hills. It won't really change my training but I've been more curious than anything.

Thanks again!
2010-06-21 8:53 PM

I'm in as well for my first full.

My major concern is if the BP oil spill will find its way into the lake

Being from Austin, I'm ok with the hills.  But I hear the wind can be a real pain.
2010-06-22 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Frontenac , Kansas
I've been to OKC once and found the terrain mostly flat with some gentle hills. If South East Kansas bears any resmblence, the wind can be a factor. I've riding in 30mph winds and it was a challenge. On the other side as a tailwind I loved it.

As a first timer to this distance. The thing that is amazing me is the amount of training time. I feel like I have to make appointments for the most rudimentry tasks. Let's see, up at 3:45, prep for run and out by 4:15, back at 6:15am, 6:17, drink fluids, 6:18 poop, 6:20 breakfast, make coffee...

It will soon be here and then our minds will be so wrapped up we won't see the rest of the world. It'll be Great!
2010-07-06 9:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Frontenac , Kansas
Only 80 days left. This is where we all start getting serious. Really? For me this week is swim focus week. I have a 2.5 mile swim scheduled and I'm looking forward to it.

I had a flat on my bike tonight. Anyone have a suggestion on how to keep the side wall up high enough while placing it on the rim to prevent a flat spot or out of roundness? It did the same thing last time and I lost a lot of time getting it settled in correctly.

Hope everyone is enjoying their workouts!

2010-07-13 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
How's the training going?  73 days left.  I am looking forward to a recovery week next week before that last big build.  I can't believe I am 70% through my training plan.  I don't feel 70% ready yet.
2010-07-28 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
New maps are up on the Redman site.  Run and bike courses have changed.  It now looks like 4 out-and-back loops for both the bike and run.
2010-08-09 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Frontenac , Kansas
Seven weeks out. Right now I'm still excited. Looking forward to being an Ironman.
2010-08-16 1:46 PM

This will be my first Iron distance race as well, and I am really looking forward to it.  Sadly I have pushed a little too hard on my body the past two weeks and it is pushing back and says I am overdoing it a bit. This is not a good time as this week and next are the last real work weeks. I'll relax some, cross my fingers and hope for the best.  How is everyone else doing? Also as for the bike it says that the total climb from bottom to top of 170 ft or so, but it doesn't look very challenging at all to me, here is where I got that info.
http://www.racermate.net/coursesviewer.php?col=km&dir=asc&s=330
Best of luck to you all, and I'll see you out there.
2010-08-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3046397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Thanks for the link on the course profile.  I read on the Redman site that the biggest climb is 20 ft.  Sounds great to this big man.  225 pounds and hills don't get a long so well.

2010-08-29 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Frontenac , Kansas
Does anyone know if doing a marathon two weeks after an iron distance race is one of those can do or a no no?
2010-08-30 1:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
That all depends on what you want from the marathon. It is certainly something that can be done and it you have a really good base can be done well though maybe not PR time.
2010-09-01 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3071686

User image

Veteran
Frontenac , Kansas
Pilgrim - 2010-08-30 1:48 PM

That all depends on what you want from the marathon. It is certainly something that can be done and it you have a really good base can be done well though maybe not PR time.

Thanks pligrim, wow I felt like John Wayne saying that I haven't fully committed to the race yet. I read Going Long by Joe Friel and gordon Byrn and I thought they said it was not recommended. I thought that even after a century ride I felt pretty good, granted that's not an ironman either.

So when are you signing up Pilgrim? I read where you were going to run two 100's then do and Ironman in one month. And I thought I was dedicated. Jeez.

I take it the rest of you got your first in a series of emails from Redman? We are so close. This is exciting!
2010-09-02 8:05 AM

It would be certainly possible to do a marathon that close, however I don't think you would feel very good while doing it unless you have a really good training base.  I haven't been to the course yet, but would like to head down there this weekend if time permits and try to ride it through once.  It is supposed to be pretty smooth other than a total of about 5 miles on each of the laps.  How is everyone else feeling?
2010-09-02 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Frontenac , Kansas
Feeling good. On a recovery week then to the official 2 taper weeks. I'm looking for about a 14hr finish. It's real do-able.

2010-09-07 9:01 PM

Its going to be my first IM, feeling pretty jacked.

Keeping in mind parts will suck, but parts will rock.

starting to think about the thank you present for the wife/mother of 3 who has put up with my rediculous schedule for the past 8 months.

Party on Wayne
2010-09-08 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2922816

New user

csnowardt - 2010-06-15 11:13 AM Quick question for anyone - does anyone have a Garmin Connect link to the bike course? I've had a difficult time finding accurate elevation info and, living two states away, will not see the course ahead of time. Thanks!! Chris

Here is a link to someone's Garmin Connect activity for one loop of the 2010 Redman bike course (plus one loop around the lake).  This person hit lap before going around the lake.  Looking only at Lap 1 and multiplying by 4 should then be a fairly accurate representation of what the bike will be.

In short, one loop of the bike course is about 580 feet elevation change.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/45466747
2010-09-09 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3087514

This is great! Thanks for posting -
2010-09-19 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Just wanted to wish all of you GOOD LUCK this coming weekend when you'll complete the Full Redman!
I did the race as my first ironman last year and had an awesome experience, many great memories and wish the same for all of you!
Stay sane these last few days. The hard work is done, now it's time to execute the race plan and enjoy your day!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2