Tricalifornia
Total Time = 2h 44m 18s
Overall Rank = 307/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 18/
Pre-race routine:

Race Report:

OLY: 2:44:18 (18th in AG)

Pre-race- Woke up feeling pretty damn good and wanted to get a little more suffering in, so I decided to race again. Had to get down the hill before 8am and had to sign up. Got there early enough to sign up, get a portapotty without a line, and rack with tons of extra time to help my wife get her stuff ready. Another sunny day, but with some south wind throwing a little bump on the water today.

Swim- Swam 26 minutes, about right for me for an Oly. The first 200 meters, I was nearly gasping from having gone out too hard to beat the pack, so I had to back off for a bit to get my heart rate down. For a minute there, I was thinking, "Uh oh, maybe this was a bad idea racing today!", but I quickly settled in and started clawing away at the field eventually catching the back of the prior wave. There was some chop to contend with on the outbound, but that translated into a nice push coming back.

Bike- This ride starts with a hellish climb for the first mile or so. I dropped it right into the granny gear and alternated standing and sitting, passing some folks who were actually walking their bikes up the hill. Once up top, I settled into a comfortable pace with the aero helmet this time (learned from yesterday) and actually was able to pass people, though mostly newbies, but the strong riders were still leaving me in their wake. I was a bit surprised that I hadn't remembered how tough some of the climbs were along Interlake Road, but before I knew it, I was at the turnaround and heading back looking for my wife on her outbound leg, 35 minutes behind me.

I finished the bike in 1:24. Decent for me considering the terrain and my second day of racing.

Run- I didn't "really" know the course, but knew that parts of it would be the same as the long course, but there's something mentally relieving about knowing you'd have to run less than 1/2 the time and distance of the prior day and that kept me going as I clicked off the kms (they mark the Oly run course in kms). Again, cutting the corners and running up the hills helped me pass plenty of dudes who'd smoked me on the bike, and I was a bit amazed at how good I felt around mile 4 knowing I had just 2.2 miles left with 1 of those being all downhill, so I tried to cheer on people that looked like they were hurting as I passed them. I opened up the throttle on the Lynch downhill and kept looking for my fellow 45-49 AG'ers on the back of dudes' calves, but only passed one I think on that downhill, crossing the line with a 47:32 10K. I was only 3 minutes or so off my PR for that distance, so I was pretty stoked, and instead of waiting in line for the hippy food, I booked it straight to my bag in transition, grabbed $20 and hit the pizza trailer for a giant greasy slice of pepperoni. That thing was the best recovery meal I could have ever hoped for! Even if it was possibly the most I've ever spent on a single slice of pizza ($6)!

I sat at the bleachers waiting for my wife to cross, hoping she wasn't covered in vomit, crawling across the line a la Julie Moss, who by the way, was announcing the event! Instead, she rolled in smiling and finished in a respectable 3:16 for 24th in her AG. Way to go Vicki!

Post race- Again, the damn hike up the hill, second day in a row, sweating like pigs by the time we hit the top! Quickly threw all our stuff in my truck, showered and drove 6 1/2 hours home, stopping only to eat about 3,000 calories each at Hometown Buffet in Santa Maria. Holy Hell I ate enough to last a week!

In conclusion, the dirty double is doable if you are the type that recovers well and likes to suffer and sweat a bit and you can use it as an excuse to eat like a fat kid eats cake. Or, you could go all out like ST'er Ianpeace and do the TRIPLE! I LIKE IT!

Great job to Terry Davis and his staff. It's an amazing bit of logistics to do what they do out in the middle of nowhere and despite this being the largest race I've ever done (bigger than the 5 IM's even), things went smoothly as you would expect from a nearly 30-year-old race. Great stuff! Incredible job by the CalPoly student volunteers too! Kept us laughing and well fed while we suffered! Thanks! Hope to return next year!
Swim
  • 26m 34s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Bike
  • 1h 24m 59s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.24 km/hr
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s