Fifth Third River Bank Run
42F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 40m 30s
Overall Rank = 50/3632
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/298
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15 and took a shower, cup of coffee and a bagel with peanut butter. Headed over to my cousins for a ride into GR with them. It took awhile to get a parking spot. They had picked up my race packet yesterday so already had my chip and number. It was really cold, windy, and spotty showers all morning. I did not want to use bag check so got into my race gear before heading to up to the race start area.
Event warmup:

Used the bathroom about 7:30 and took off on a short run with some strides to get warmed up. The wind was going to be staight into us on the way out and tailwind back in. I wish i would not have worn my running fleece but had nowhere to put it so just decided to wear it for the race.
Run
  • 40m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out about 5 rows back from the front and decided to just let the crowd go out too fast and reel everyone back in later. So I wanted to just run a 6:25-6:30 m/mi first mile but ended up with a 6:39 which was not the plan. So I immediately left 10 plus seconds out there right at the start. So after that first mile clicked off, I picked it up and started passing lots of people. At mile 4 I was right on track and everything felt good, a comfortably hard pace. Then there is quite a short steep hill that kind of ate into me a little bit and just could not get the seconds back. I was able to finish pretty strong and left everything out there. My original goal was a 40:30 and I hit that right on the nose. My stretch goal was sub 40:00 and would not have hit that today no matter what. I could have got 10-15 seconds back but thats about it. I was probably overdressed and could have gone without the jacket. I was a bit hot out there and conditions were ok really.

Mile 1: 6:39 (AHR:160)
Mile 2: 6:27 (AHR:173)
Mile 3: 6:25 (AHR:173)
Mile 4: 6:20 (AHR:173)
Mile 5: 6:35 (AHR:172) Rollers
Mile 6: 6:28 (AHR:172) Rollers
What would you do differently?:

stay focused at the start and go out at my goal pace....attack the hills a bit more in the last 2 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

warm down?? more like freeze my arse off. I had to wait around for my carpool mates to finish and I got really cold with the wind blowing and starting to rain a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fitness??

Event comments:

Lots of people at this race and very well done all around. I think I will do the 25K next year but just did not want to jeopardize my HIM training this year for a couple days recovery from the longer race.

Last updated: 2010-01-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:30 | 06.21 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/298
Overall: 50/3632
Performance: Average
Course: Riverbank Run 10K course - first 4 miles are flat and last 2 are rolling hills to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes