Canada
3C / 37F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 21m 11s
Overall Rank = 15/78
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

I got to the site a little late compared to my usual routine. Then I went to get my race bag. They gave a nice t-shirt!! That was a first! As I was getting my stuff organized I started to talk to my parking neighbor. A cool, very laid back back guy. Got my transition installed then went inside to warm up a bit. It was raining/snowing an the wind was fairly strong. Talked some more. I usually don't talk much before races... I guess I was trying to forget about the weather.
Event warmup:

I did one lap on the bike course because I wanted to see things would feel in the rain. I got caught short of time for a decent run warm-up... I thaught I had 5-7 minutes more to do that.
Run
  • 22m 18s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 28s  min/km
Comments:

So we lined up at the starting line. The stupid award of the day went to the guy that was wearing only a Team Canada tri suit and compression socks (not even arm warmers!). He was 2 minutes ahead of everybody at the end of the first run, then froze his arse on the bike and did not make it to T2. To put thing in perspective, I was wearing a tri-top, arm warmers, a thin long sleeve shirt and a thick bike jacket on top... and I did not feel hot at any time!

Pretty uneventful run for me. The legs were a little sluggish at the start because of the lack of warm up but other than that I was feeling pretty good and was succesful at not sliding in the mudholes scattered on the course.
What would you do differently?:

Warm-up more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Since the transition zone was a swamp, I decided I would put my bike shoes on and remove them at the rack. I had never done that, but the weather won this one. I had some trouble attaching the helmet and clipping in the pedals so that cost me a few clicks on the clock.

Not much more I could have done, the day just sent me some hazards.
Bike
  • 33m 34s
  • 18.9 kms
  • 33.78 km/hr
Comments:

The bike was pretty brutal. Gusting wind, rain, tight/slippery corners. The course was an out & back. The pavement was awesome on the way out and the way back shook the hell out of us. Worst. pavement. ever.

It probably took me a lap and half to find my groove and get rid of the Trek guy that was blocking me but wasn't slow enough for me to have a definite pass. Then I got into my groove, tried to find the best line to avoid bumps on the way back and tried to stay conservative in corners. It was my first time using the tires I had in wet condition so I didn't want to screw things up by being too agressive. By the fifth lap, my hand were in Antarctica and would stay there for a couple more hours after the race. The wind was downright brutal on the last 300m or so heading to the transition zone.

I don't know. I know I can do better than that but I feel that I handled things fairly well given all the unusual "elements".
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I really had a hard time unclipping the helmet and sliding in the shoes properly. I didn't even try to tighten the Yankz, it was just useless to do so as I wasn't feeling my fingers.

I did the best I could with the little mobility my hands had.
Run
  • 23m 21s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 40s  min/km
Comments:

The legs didn't feel like a ton of brick when I got out of T2 so that was a good surprise. After 3-400m I stopped a few seconds to try to tighten the Yanks because my shoes were moving too much. I probably tried 5 seconds before quitting on the project and restarting to run. Every lap my calves were cramping a bit more while going up the little (very little) hill. Getting to the finish line was a relief. I think I gained one position on the second run. That second run was a good effort and I'm happy about it but I think there was a little bit of gas left in the tank.

Push harder.
Post race
Warm down:

I changed into dry, warm clothes. Lol Stretched a bit before getting my medal having finished 2nd out of 10 in my AG. That kind of result surprises me a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The list could be pretty long, I'll pass :)

Event comments:

Well organized, nice t-shirt and lunch. My only complaint is on the pavement quality on the bike.

Last updated: 2010-05-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:18 | 05 kms | 04m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 26/78
Performance: Good
Course: 5x 1k loops with a little hill. Half the loop was on dirt that turned to mud.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:33:34 | 18.9 kms | 33.78 km/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 16/78
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 7x 2.7k loop. Very nice pavement on the way out. Very ugly on the way back. Not pancake flat but no hills to talk about either.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:21 | 05 kms | 04m 40s  min/km
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 29/78
Performance: Average
Course: Same as first run
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-05-09 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Montréal
Subject: Duathlon Chambly

2010-05-10 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2847542

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Duathlon Chambly
Good job Etienne

Je suis sorti rouler hier et je peux te confirmer que je n'aurais pas sortis qu'avec un tri suit seulement sur le dos ...  

Good job avec la temperature et tout!!

Et grats pour deuxieme dans ton groupe d'age! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duathlon Chambly Rss Feed