Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada
Vancouver International Marathon Society
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had Dr. Leah, Viaza, Alex and Mike over for a carbo load dinner while watching the Canucks kick the crap our of the Blackcocks. Great dinner with the Bad Dr's brownies, that she conviently left behind. Early to bed then up early to walk the dogs and get to the race start. Kari raced the 1/2 marathon so we had to be downtown for 7. Had a cup of coffee and a bowl of the Vector.
Event warmup:

Got down to the start, saw Kari off with her run group after standing in a line up to go to the pottie. After Kari ran off on her run I started getting ready and realized that I still had my wallet in my sweat pants. I was tossing the sweats so I had to run back to the truck and drop it off. I took the opportunity to have some more coffee. Nice. Jogged back to the race start, sang the Anthem, stripped down and seconds later I was off with a bunch of other wack-o's!
Run
  • 3h 31m 19s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 05m 01s  min/km
Comments:

The run started out great. I had a great pace going out of the gate, seeded myself back in the pack with the thought that I would catch the 3:30 pace bunny later in the run. VanCity and his wife were yelling at me at the 2K marker, I felt bad because I didn't recognize her until I was up the road but I did think it was odd that two people called my name out 3 seconds apart. Race brain was activated. It was still activated when I ran back by them and had no idea where my name was being called from. Jonathon thankfully jumped out in front of me and yelled at me to keep running forward! Forward I did continue. I was pushing hard but I didn't think it was too hard. The HR was down around 157-162 for the first half so i thought I was good. This information was obviously wrong because my first splits were:
47:42 @ 10 K
1:11 @ 20K
1:39 @ 21.1
All the signs were pointed in the wrong direction; I was going too fast.
I did manage to get all the way to the 31 K marker before I felt the forst twinge in my hamstring. After that it was all about survival. Duct taping things together and keeping focused on the finish line. Quads hurt, ITBs, top of the right foot and my pride all hurt about the same
What would you do differently?:

More training. Less injuries.
FMI - Champion Under layer; green poly socks; Black lined shorts with CK's and long sleeved t-shirt (RVM?)
Post race
Warm down:

Ate, changed, left

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too much heart rate, not enough energy. Almost passed out on the finisher's chute

Event comments:

Love this race, tons of volunteers, great atmosphere and amazing scenery! I'm coming back next year to knock off that stupid 1:19. WTF!?!?!?

Last updated: 2009-11-27 12:00 AM
Running
03:31:19 | 42.2 kms | 05m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 70/
Overall: 451/
Performance: Average
Cals - 3050 Max HR - 203 Avg HR - 168
Course: One of the most beautiful Marathon courses in the world. If you don't know it, google it. I don't have time to explain it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-10 12:29 AM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: Vancouver Marathon

2010-05-11 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2847744

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: RE: Vancouver Marathon
What, VanCityJ gets a mention and I don't? And you didn't look all that sore and broken when I saw you at the 39km mark
2010-05-12 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2847744

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Vancouver Marathon
good job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vancouver Marathon Rss Feed