General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Tri Miami Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Tri Miami Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
MultiRace / Publix FWW
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m 48s
Overall Rank = 152/288
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

Photobucket

The Tri-Miami Triathlon was other Great Event from the 2010 MultiRace / Publix FFW Triathlon Series...

Photobucket Photobucket

And It took place in Crandon Park, Key Biscayne, Florida last Sunday May 2nd...

This Event hold 3 Races at the same time...an Olympic Triathlon & Duathlon and a Sprint Triathlon with a total of 711 participants....288 triathletes for the Olympic Distance...59 Duathletes...and...404 thriathletes for the Sprint Distance....

Friday April 30th:
Had my last bike ride...an easy short 12 miles ride...only to keep moving/shaking/tuning legs...
Had lasagna for lunch and took a short 1/2 hr nap...ZZZzzz

After my Buddy work...We headed to Miami to pick-up our Race Package at Mack Cycle store...and....for our usual Full Carbo Load dinner...

Got our Race Packages...My Buddy got the Bid# 600 / Red Intimidator Fish Swimming Cap...from the famous MultiRace Swimming Caps Collection...I love them...They came back again...Yes...!!!

Photobucket Multi Race Swimming Caps

and...I got the Bid# 599 / Yellow Goofy Nemo Swimming Cap...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

And Beside our Bid#s...We received a nice high tech t-shirt...some goodies...and...a share the road sticker...Nice...!!!

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

After that...We went to our favorite Italian Restaurant "Di Napoli" in Pinecreast, South Miami...for...our Full Carbo Load...

My Buddy got his usual Seafood Special (clams, shrimps, mussels & squid in marinara sauce over pasta)...and...for me Pesce Livornese (fillet of fresh fish with calamari olives, capers, fresh tomatoes, garlic and white wine sauce with linguinis with olive garlic as a side dish) beside our Italian Salads and unsweet ice tea...very Yummmmmmmmmmmmy....!!!
Also We ordered a Tutto 9 toppings Pizza to take to home for lunch after Race Day....Hummmmmmmmm....!!!

Saturday May 1st:
Woke-up late...around 8:30 am...and...took our usual Saturday full breakfast: OJ, eggs, toasted bagel with cream cheese, slices of turkey, salame and brie on top and coffee w/milk...Hummmmm...Off Course our usual multi-vitamisn w/minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine and CO-Q-10...

Washed/waxed/lubed/tuned bike...changed wheels for Race Wheels...put Bid#s in my Bike, helmet and belt...and...prepared/packed all my Race stuff...

Here my Bike ready to go...

2010 Tr-Miami Triathlon

Had some tortellinis with Alfredo Sauce for lunch and took 1/2 hr nap...ZZZzzz

Prepared all our Race beverages and placed them in the refrigerator...

Had an early dinner...roast lamb, brown rice and salad...and...my usual hot green tea with a small piece of chocolate cake...Yummmmy...!!!

Loaded bikes and bag into the SUV and went to bed around 8:00 pm...falling sleep around 8:30 pm when Buddy joined me...ZZZzzz

Sunday May 2nd:
Woke-up at 4:00 am...got dressed...and...took out Mariah our dog...

Took our usual Pre-Race breakfast: OJ for both, my Super-Soy Protein Shake (chocolate) for me...and...waffle with PB and a cup of coffee for Buddy...and...our usual battery of suplements...LOL

Got our body marked by ourself...put sunscreen over shoulders, arms and face...and...the MultiRace not permanent tattoo in my right leg...

Photobucket

Took our Coolers with beverages and left from home around 4:45 am...It tooks us around 45 minutes to get to Key Biscayne....

When We got at the entrance area of Crandon Park...there were two long lines...and...moving in slow motion...and...when fianlly after 20 minutes...We got at the point to pay the entry fee...
There were 2 elderly person charging the entry fee that barely couldn't move...Yikes...and...not only that...there were a sign showing the new entry fee...they increased the price from $5 to $6...Are you kidding me???...Now We knew why it was taking too long to get inside...LOL

Parked car...took our bikes, bags and coolers and headed directly to Transition Area to get a good spots in our rack area...

Got my timming chip and put it in my left ankle...and...went back to Transition to set-up all my Race stuff as usual:

Helmet over seat...a green towel in front of my bike and over my biking/running shoes...sunglasses over biking shoes...and...next to the shoes...a bottle of water and my hat and inside all wrapped my belt with Bid#...

Fill the Speedfil Hydration System with cold water...placed cycomputer in bike...2 Gels, Clif Shot Blocks and a packet of Endurolytes and SportLegs inside BentoBox...and...checked tires and gears...

Went to Check Bike Exit/In...Our Rack Area was next to the Run Exit...nice...but...that means We were very far from the Bike Exit/In....no nice...!!! LOL

Sat over my cooler relaxed...closed eyes...and...did my usual Race's visualization....

Took 2 Energy Gels, 2 Endurolytes and 2 SportLegs with water and a mix of Cytomax/Accelerade....

Put BodyGlide over my ankles and neck...some Profile Design Lub over legs...and...put wet-suits till hips after my last dump at the Restrooms and headed to the Swimming Area with my girlfriend Suzy...

In our way to the Swim Area...We noticed that it was super-windy...Yikes...but...it was overcasted...Nice...!!!

Here a gorgeous view of the beach in our way to the Swimming Area...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon
Event warmup:

At the Swimming Area met with Buddy and other tri-friends...Angelo, Marylou, Julie...put the rest of my wet-suit...some arms and legs stretchings and jumped into the water...the ocean was choppy with some currents...even low tide...Yikes...!!!

Here the Super-Fantastics...Velo, Julie and Marylou...ak.as faster, fast and fastest...LOL

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

Got out of the water...and...the Race started just in time as usual at 6:40 am with the 1st Wave (Pro/Elites and Physically Challenged)...and...after 2 minutes the rest of the Waves...every 4 minutes...

There were 6 Waves in the Olympic Distance Triathlon...and...my Buddy was in the Wave# 4 (Male 45+ / Clydesdales 40+) at 6:50 am...before me...Wave# 5 (Female 35+) at 6:54 am...

The Duathlon started in Mass at 7:00 am...and...the Sprint Distance Triathlon with 6 Waves too at 7:15 am...
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Here is the Swimming Course...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

The start was a run till an orange bouy where the water was enough high and jump into...

Here You can see me with the leader group running to the water...the 3rd one from left to right...the one with red googles...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

And here getting at the orange bouy...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

From here We had to swim along the beach with the bouys on our right... there were 4 bouys...the first one was a big yellow one at 200 mts...where the Sprint Distance had to do the U-turn...after this one...there were 3 more ones but in orange...

It was a tough swimming...even...the low tide...very choppy...small waves...and...strong currents from everywhere...LOL

At some point...in between the second bouy and 3 bouy...the water level was too low...that We had to get-up and run maybe 100 mts....the water level barely was in between our knees and hips...but...It was a very hard work-out running under those conditions....Yikes...!!!

Finally jumped again into the water and continued with my constante swimming witout stop till the last bouy for the u-turn...rounded and back to the Swimming Exit...

Again got-up and ran in the section with low water level...and...jumped into the water for the last swimming section till the Swimming Exit...

But just maybe 100 mts before I got shore...I started to feel my timing chip losing...and...I didn't want to kick too hard just in case...but...in one point decided to stop and grabbed it...and... continued swimming with it in my hand...but...it was difficult for me and it was slowering me...that...decided to stop again and put it inside my wet-suit...and...continued till I got shore...

When my fingers touch sand...I got-up...and...ran as fast as I could to the Swim Exit Arch to recover all the time lost with all the stops...and...removing at the same time the wet-suit till my hips...at this point...my timing chip did fall from my wet-suit into the water and the guy that was coming behind me yelled..."Your timing chip"...grabbed and gave it to me...Thanks Orlando or Rolando...!!!...I never know his real name...LOL

Here is the secuence of Pics coming out of the water...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon 2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon 2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon 2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

Just out of the water...when I ran over the mats at the Swim Exit...I put the timing chip in my back pocket of my tri-suit...but...

Unfortunate...everytime...that I passed over the mats...my timing chip didn't transmit any signal...that means....I don't have any split times and only my overall time....Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....!!!!
What would you do differently?:

I'm having some problems with some timing chips straps cuz skinny ankles...I need to figure out how to deal with....some people suggest to me use a pin to be sure don't lose it...this is not the first time that happen to me...but...my good friend Gary from RWTF...suggested me to have an implanted timing chip...Sounds like a good idea...LOL

anyway...

Continue with my trainings...
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I'm assuming it was a fast transition as usual...

It was a long run from the Swim Exit to Transition and over soft sand...Yikes...but...I ran as fast I could...passing a lot of people walking...

Here...running from the beach to Transition...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

Got in Transition...my rack area was next to the entrance...easy to find...

First put helmet/sunglasses and at the same time removing wet-suit...put biking shoes...took bike and ran fast out of Transition....

Practice and practice...
Bike
  • 00m
  • 24.8 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Here is the Bike Course...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

The Bike Course was 2 Laps...starting from Crandon Park west onto the famous Rickenbacker Causeway...including 3 miles loop down Virginia Key...

Just out of Transition...in the mount area....jumped into my bike as usual...and...started to cranck as hard I could...

We had tailwinds/crosswinds with us....it was really nice...I felt I was flying passing tons of people...but...I knew that coming back would be tough with strong headwinds/crosswinds....Yikes....!!!

At this point I'm not really sure how I was doing and where were the women of my AG...I only know that my girlfriend Marylou is coming behind me...BTW...She passed me just before the turn to Virginia Key...

After Virginia Key...We headed to the Rickenbacker Bridge for our first climb....Yikes....!!!

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

But...I love this Bridge...in special when I got at the top...it always makes me feel like I conquer the "Everest" and the view from the top of the magnificence of Biscayne Bay...and...then...going downbridge...at more than 35 mph...It's an amazing feeling of freedom...
Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....!!!!

Got down...and...after maybe 200 mts...an U-turn to climb again our friend "Rickenbacker"...Yikes...!!!!

Here...When I got that the top in my second climb...and...don't ask about my tonge...LOL

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon 2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

And here a secuence of pics...coming downbridge...Yahoooooooooooooooooooo....!!!

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon 2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon 2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon 2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

Just when I got down...I could feel the strong headwinds/crosswinds...Yikes...but...I kept it up till I got at the U-turn at Crandon Park...

Here when I got at Crandon Park at the U-turn...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

And if you check very careful in this pic...You can see that I have my timming chip in my back pocket of my tri-suit...LOL...
This is my probe Julie and Marylou...!!!

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

From here...We started our 2nd Lap...but...again with nice tailwinds/crosswinds...to Virginia Key and to the Rickenbacker Bridge again...and...at this point I decided to take one Gel with 2 Endurolytes and 2 SportLegs with water...

And after the 4th and last climb...headed to Transition with the strong headwinds/crosswinds....Yikes....!!!

Just when I got at the desmount area...I did it like usual...like the Pro/Elites but keeping shoes on...jumped off the bike and ran as fast I could to Transition....

Continue with my windy bike trainings...I know they pay off duirng the Races...and..."If the winds don't kill me...make me stronger"....right???
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I'm assuming that was other fast Transition as usual even I don't have the time...

Just in my rack area...place bike...changed shoes...removed helmet...and took my hat and bottle of water and ran very fast out of Transition...

Here...running to the Exit out of Transition...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

We were very fortunate duirng the Swimming Leg and Bike Leg...cuz...it was a cloudy morning...overcasted...I though We would have some rains during the Run Leg...but...not...I was wrong...the Sun came out with all its strengs...very strong....just...when I got at Transition Area...Yikes...!!!

Practice...and...practice...
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Here is the Run Course...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

The Run Leg consists in a 5k Loop around Cranson Park including the entire paved stretch boardwalk along the beach...and...for us doing the Olympic Distance...we had to do 2 Laps...

It was a brutal run...very hot...the temps reached around 85oF...and...the Sun was very intensed and burning...

Just out of Transition put my hat and belt with Bid#...took 2 Endurolytes with some water from my bottle...and tossed some over my head and neck...I knew it would be a very hot run...

Just when...I was approching to the U-turn at the 0.5 mile...saw Marylou coming...she was in front of me...and...when I rounded the U-turn...saw...my good friend and Sunday training partner Angelo coming...He was jsut starting his 2nd Lap...and...when he reached me...he kept with me for the entire 5k Loop till his Finish Line...
It was nice to have him running with me...cuz...he always makes me push hard...and...he told me that was great to find me during his 2nd Lap cuz I paced him...Glad You did it...!!!

Just when Angelo turned to the Finish Line...I continued with my constante pace for my 2nd Lap...

Here You can see me...very focused during my run...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

And here heading to the worst section of the Run Leg...the boardwalk along the Beach...I was already sweating like a pig...LOL

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

And here running along the Beach...the heat...really hit me...I could feel the heat reflected from the sand to my face...I was already red/hot like a tomatoe...even...I tossed water over my head in every water station...Ufffff....!!!!

The last 2 miles to the Finish Line were the worst and tough...but...I kept it up...till...I got to the Finish Line...Yes...I did it....!!!

Continue with my trainings...and...re-start to be used with our South Florida heat and humidity...LOL

Post race
Warm down:

Just when I passed the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a bottle of water...other one...a Finisher Medal...and...other one asked me for my timing chip...cuz...it was not in my ankle...and...I got it from my tri-suit back pocket...and...gave it to him...

Then when to the table to get my Receipt Result Timing...and...by my surprise...NO split times...only Total Time...and...they were wondering...why this happened???...and...I told them...that my timing chip was in back pocket of my tri-suit after I almost lost it during the Swimming Leg...LOL
Looks like it didn't transmite any signal everytime that I passed over the mats...and...only at the Finish Line...Grrrrr...!!!

Then got a nice hat and bag for the Finishers...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

And went directly to the Water Fun Area for kids...the favorite place fo the all of us the triathletes to rinse and cool down...very refreshing...

Went to Transition Area to collect/pack all my Race Stuff...

Here my bike in our rack area...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

Here a view of Transition after the Race...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon 2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon 2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

Went again to the Finish Line Area to wait for my Buddy...that...I passed him in T1...

Here in the Finish Line with our favorite photographer Andres waiting for Buddy...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

Finally my Buddy got at the Finish Line...he went to refresh and cool down at the Water Fun Area for kids...and...We went to Transition to collect/pack all his Race Stuff and take all our stuff to the car...

Went to check Results...finding that I got 3rd place in my AG...WoooHoooo...!!!

Female AG 45-49: 3rd / 10 We were 12 women but 2 were awarded 2nd and 3rd Female Master Overall...

Female Overall: 29th / 73

Overall: 152nd / 288

Total Time: 2h 57m 48s Scoring 25secs PR...WooooHooo...!!!

Unfortunate my Buddy didn't have a great Race this time...he was last on his AG...He had a very tough work Week...and...lack of sleep...That's Ok...Congrats Babu...You did it and Fnished it...!!!

Here before the Award Ceremony...with my best girlfriends...Julie and Marylou...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

And here with 2 great fantastic girlfriends...Sunday training partners too...Jackie and Suzy...waiting for the Award Ceremony...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

And here in the Award Ceremony...

And the Award and Finisher Medal...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is other joke as usual...

Tough OWS...windy conditions in the Bike Leg...and...brutal hot conditions in the Run Leg...anything else??? LOL

Event comments:

Excellent Event as usual...very well organized...on time...tons of volunteers...plenty of water stations...and...the best Post Race food and activities...

Last updated: 2010-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/288
Performance: Good
Suit: X-TERRA
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 24.8 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 06.2 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-10 1:25 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Mack Cycle Tri Miami Triathlon - Olympic

2010-05-12 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2848956

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Tri Miami Triathlon - Olympic
killer race report as usual...I think the implanted timing chip is the perfect solution ;-)
2010-05-12 10:11 AM

User image

It's like watching a movie with all those pics!! You guys and gals get some cool gear at your races.  Is this like your 30th Podium Velo???  GREAT JOB!!

2011-04-27 3:52 PM

Hello there -

Nice report, I am considering to take a part in this year's triathlon, so this really helped me. I did sprint triathlon couple weeks ago and I am targeting the olympic distance at this triathlon. I wanted to know if I want to stop for few seconds during the swimming part, how deep is the water to just stay at your feet, or is there enough lifeguards to give you a hand if you want to take a break for some time.

Thanks in advance

2011-04-28 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3469827

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Your reports leave nothing to the imagination!   just kidding, I love the details.   That seams like a great race and will have to try it one year.  It is normally same weekend as the FAU race up here in Boca which I really like so will have to flip a coin next year.  Thanks for details...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Tri Miami Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed