General Discussion Race Reports! » Mother's Day Triathlon/Duathlon & Kids Mini-tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mother's Day Triathlon/Duathlon & Kids Mini-tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elma, Washington
United States
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Did good today. My was was raceing the DU and I was doing the TRI so we were there nice and early, found a spot for our bikes and enjoyed the sun.
Event warmup:

Well still being new to tri's putting on m wet suit is a bit of a warm up. After that I got in the water and swam a little. Had a new wet suit today that I rented and wanted to see how it felt. It was a bit off from the other one I had for the last race but still a wet suit.
Swim
  • 05m 30s
  • 273 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is only my second tri race and I knew I wanted to push myself a little more, and that would have to start in the swim. Not being a real strong swimmer I still hung back just a little to give the respect to the other racers. I got going and was doing well. I was swimming just as I would in the pool and knew I was going to have a nice race.
However then a person from behind me grabed my ankle, not just hit but grabed and pulled it down a little. I tried to stay focused but it happened again and then my breathing went up and up and I was trying to get into my swim again, but my heart rate was to high. I finished the swim but not in the way I wanted and it was hard on me this time.
What would you do differently?:

not much. just be ready for the grabbing and pulliong down, learn to relax and stay focused.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

This was a slow transition for me. I was still catching my breath and had a hard time with my socks and shoes.

Still looking into sockless bike shoes so I do not have to mess with socks and can just slip into the shoes.
Bike
  • 39m
  • 13 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

this is a nice flat ride. I had done it once before and knew that it was flat. Well by flat I mean as flat as Washington can be. There are very small hills in it but nothing big. The ride goes by some farms and is just a nice ride.

As for how I did. After t1 i got on my bike and had a hard time cliping in, then once I was in I was off but noticed that I forgot to strap my water bottle in. I have one of the oned that sits up on my aero bars and velcros in. Last race I forgot the water all togeather and this time I have it but it is falling off the bike. I made it a mile or so and had to pull over and fix my problem. After that I was back on the ride and feeling great. Knew I had time to make up after stoping and the slow t1 so I was pushing hard. Passed some folks and had a nice ride. Goal this time was to not be passed by a person doing the duathlon. I got that one covered.

double check bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Still can not ride on bike and get off at same time. I have to stop bike. I think my bike is one size to big for me I have a hard time touching the ground unless the bike is stoped.
other than that shoes wet on real fast, tied them up and went on my way.

I did good for my ability. I think if anything I might put yanks on my shoes, just did not think about it before this race and I used new running shoes.
Run
  • 23m 50s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was a run. My legs were starting to feel a bit tired. Last week I ran a marathon and did a couple big workouts this week. By the run my legs just wanted to find a nice pace and stay in it. I knew I wanted to try and pass a couple folks for my own mental toughness. I passed a couple and was haveing a good race. I was feeling as good as I could be. I heard a person behind me breathing hard, very hard. I knew they were pushing with all they had. I stayed in my stride and was passed. This woman was going for it real hard, good for her. She ran hard and I knew if I tried to stay close to her I would keep a nice pace. I did and she passed another guy and by this time I was trying to figure out if I wanted to kick in or just stride in. The guy infront of me began his kick but it was not all that fast, but he did not want her to beat him. He was pushing hard. I decided to just sit back and take my place. Even with just doing that they both finished about 2 seconds in front of me. For this race I just did not see the point in pushing it when my legs were that tired and this woman was trying so hard. I still beat my time from the last race and was under 2 min from my goal, so i was happy.

In other races where I know that place matters and beating folks in my age group matters run hard and finish hard.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a min and talked to some people. My wife was still out on the course. She passed me by on her return on the bike while I was running and then we saw each other again while I was running in and she was going out. I went to see her on the run and cheer her on. Ended up cheering for everyone and hanging in the sun. That felt real nice. Then down the road I could see my wife on her way in. I was proud of her to be doing this and running in. She had a goal of 2 hours and beat it by half an hour. She did awsome and loved the race. She had a chance to use her new bike in a race and realy enjoyed that as well.

Event comments:

This is a fun race. They put on I think 3 or 4 races from this spot a year and the 2 I have done are great. My only problem has been the water stations. last race i was told for the most part to get my own drink and the table was a little less than 10 feet from the turn around spot, and this race my wife got to her water station on the last leg of the run and there were no cups so she had to go without. other than that it is a nice race and we will be doing it again.

Last updated: 2010-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:30 | 273 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: yes
Course: It is a short out around a boat and back. Not real bad at all.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:00 | 13 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: this is an out and back on a nice flat course. Some small hills but nothing that will make you think you are goign up hill. Fun to ride.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:50 | 03 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: This is a fast out and back on a flat course. Nice easy run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-10 4:41 PM

New user
Bonney Lake
Subject: Mother's Day Triathlon/Duathlon & Kids Mini-tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mother's Day Triathlon/Duathlon & Kids Mini-tri Rss Feed