Set-Up, Inc.
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 28m 20s
Overall Rank = 175/372
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 23/45
Pre-race routine:

woke up and had coffee. We made sandwiches for after the race. Ate a banana and peanut butter for breakfast. Expecting a hot day we froze our infinit drink bottles, so we took those out of the freezer. We loaded up the truck and drove to the FFA center. Racked bikes and set up transition area.
Event warmup:

very little. Maybe did some streaching exercises.
Swim
  • 45m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

had a good swim. I was slow but steady. I used a wetsuit even though they said it was not going to be wetsuit legal. They said it was ok to use as long as the water wasn't 83 degrees. Made sure to site every minute or two. Once or twice I was bumped by another swimmer, nothing major. I did feel someone slapping me in the foot several times, so I figure someone was drafting with me. Poor guy, he could have found someone a whole lot faster to draft off.
What would you do differently?:

just swim faster. Maybe not use the wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 04m 23s
Comments:

What the helk? How was it a 4 minute T1? I ran to my bike and got out of my wetsuit easily (did the standing up thing). I put on the oakleys and helmet. I then brushed off my feet (I had little tiny branches from the tree next to me all over). Put on my socks and bike shoes and grabbed my bike. Then my water bottle fell out, twice. Ran the 25 feet to the bike exit.

I better stick to traditional water bottles and forget the throw-a-way versions.
Bike
  • 3h 02m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.37 mile/hr
Comments:

exited left, then another left, all the way there were these divots in the road that jolted the entire bike. I passed several water bottles and GU flasks that must have fell off bikes. Right on 41, was a smoother ride, wind to the back. Made right on 210. The wind was a crosswind thst didnt seem to slow me down. I felt strong and hammered my entry level Trek road bike. I passed alot of folks and felt good. I drank all my aerobottle infinit and poured my throw-a-way bottle of infinit in it. Passed a water station and dumped my empty and grabbed a full. Passed the little store and knew I was about half way home. Rode all the way to 53 with crosswinds. Right turn on 53 and watched as I slowed down. Headwind. I was being passed by the disk wheel boys and girls. Made a right on Overlyon rd and had good tail wind. At the dead end I turned around and my tailwind was now a headwind. Right turn on 53 to the finish. About a half mile from the finish I pulled my feet out of my shoes and rode with feet on shoes. Did a safe dismount and ran to the transition area, about 25 feet to my spot. That was the fourth time I rode this route, the other three in training. This was by far a better ride than those other three training rides.

quit screwing around with the water bottles!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Racked bike and took off helmet. Put on running shoes and took off. Had to stop to pee in Transition area, well, I did use the port a jon.

pee on the bike. ok Im kidding about that one.
Run
  • 2h 32m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

First of all it was over 90 degrees. I started off strong. After a mile or so I realized my garmin was not running. Somehow I stopped it. Now all I used it for was to monitor my heart rate and watch my pace. I ran the first half with ease. I said with ease but should say the first half was "uneventful". Every water station had people holding out cups of water that I grabbed on the fly. They also held out wet towels. Those went on my head and neck. I tried to cool down as much as possible. At mile 7 I had to start grabbing my own water. I started to feel fatigue at about mile 9. I thought at that point I would run to each aid station and grab a couple waters and walk away. I would walk until the waters were consumed then run again. The heat beat down on me and I noticed my pace soar to almost 13 minutes per mile. Miles 11 and 12 had a mixture of run and S-L-O-W-E-R run, and I mean slow. I was able to continue running to the end. Just like that the event that I trained for 5 months for was over.

make sure I am one with my Garmin. I would not stop running for anything.
Post race
Warm down:

Lets see. I drank a couple cold bottles of water and had a couple orange wedges. I started to feel horrible. I was about to head back out to look for my girlfriend when she came running in, SMILING. We watched the others in our group finish. I was feeling very bad but ate a hot dog and had a sandwich. Somehow I felt better. We jumped in the lake and that felt great. I was feeling good again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

93 degree weather was a new record. Of course it was on my race day.

Event comments:

And just like that the race we trained for for 5 months was over.

Last updated: 2010-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:52 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/45
Overall: 0/372
Performance: Average
Suit: wetsuit
Course: rectangle. From left poer out, right turn, right turn back to right pier.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:02:55 | 56 miles | 18.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/45
Performance: Good
average heart rate was 139 and the max was 157. Max speed 25mph, min speed 9 when I slowed to get a water
Wind: Strong
Course: exit left. Made a left and rode up to Hwy 41. Made a right on 41 to Hwy 210. Made a right to hwy 53 and back to the FFA.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:32:56 | 13.1 miles | 11m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/45
Performance: Below average
Course: flat, around lake and back
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-10 5:46 PM

User image

New user
Fayetteville
Subject: White Lake Half II

2010-05-10 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2849665

User image

Master
Savannah,
Subject: RE: White Lake Half II

Wow-you make the run sound easy! Great job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half II Rss Feed