General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running form, the Pose Running method (Learn To RunTM ) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-09 10:17 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Running form, the Pose Running method (Learn To RunTM )
There is always a lot of talk about swimming form and its benefits. Has anyone on this forum formally studied their running form? I ran across this today while doing some online reseach (http://www.posetech.com/). Its called the Pose Running method and seem to be a much different way of running, actual form info is limited but it clams to make the run EASIER, FASTER, INJURY FREE. There are references to triatheletes using this method. Like Total Immersion you have to buy a video / book to start with and recommend attending a clinic.

I'm currious is anyone here has studied this method...

Don

2004-04-09 10:29 AM
in reply to: #17518

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Running form, the Pose Running method (Learn To RunTM )
Haven't heard of this, however good running form does make a difference in injuries and speed. If you think about people who run the 100m, they look so smooth. No one moves their head from side to side (like you might see in kids). Any excessive movement wastes energy!

Of course, some people just have naturally great running form, just like swimming. I'll be anxious to see if anyone has checked out this program.
2004-04-09 11:47 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
i have the pose method dvd, and it makes complete sense. the only problem, is that it takes months, if not years, to master this form. i also heard that very rarely do people who do not have on sight instruction truly pick up the technique. nonetheless, it has great drills that can help any runner.
2004-04-09 12:56 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

We covered the pose method at a tri-camp I went to.  We went through the video.  It is supposed to be a better way to run, reduce risk of injury, etc.  It does have lots of drills to it and you would most likely need to get the video or DVD.

I'm kind of a mid-foot striker, so trying to do the pose method kind of makes my calves sore.  It does give you more energy in you stride, though.  I've thought about spending more time trying to learn this method, but haven't spent the money for the resources.

TB

2004-04-09 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
I've read the material on the site - endured my wife and daughter's laughter as I tried to look like a POSE runner - and my TI coach is familiar with it and said some sports medicine Doc at Colorado State had some misgivings about it - something to do with hamstring stress. But I'm no expert and there are triathletes who swear by it.

Here's the web site: http://www.posetech.com/

Triathlete.Com has an article on POSE: http://www.triathlete.com/art.asp?3=236

And an article from Slowtwich - note the cautions about injury and time it takes of master POSE:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/longrun/pose.html

2004-04-09 3:51 PM
in reply to: #17572

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Malvey, thanks for the links. I like the follwoing from the last link:
[Newton's Third Law of Motion describes another key support for forward motion: "For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction." At the clinic, Romanov played a video tape of someone running (in ordinary shoes via the Pose method) across the ice of a skating rink, seemingly defying Newton's 3rd Law. Afterall, how can there be an equal and opposite reaction to driving yourself forward from your feet on a frictionless surface? The point is that there is no "push off" in the Pose Method of running, but there is forward motion. Traction appears irrelevant. So what's happening?]

OK, so how did this someone stop:-)

Seriously, I like the following as my almost 3 year old daughter runs in the "purest form" as described and has is become quick and in control of her self:
[One observation I've personally noted is how most kids run, before they "know" how—before they consciously try to run. They simply fall forward, naturally landing on their forefoot, which tends to drop right beneath their General Center of Mass (GCM. Essentially their belly button.) and their cadence is rather quick. That's nature in its purest form—the Pose Method—before we bind ourselves with learned psychological shackles!]

Don

2004-04-09 5:56 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Uhm, nice ignorant physics claim there, if that's what they say on the site.

Ice is most certainly *not* frictionless. Here's a good explanation of friction & ice:

http://www_hockey.tripod.com/ice/id5.html

Claims like that would make me vary wary of the "method", if they ignore pretty basic physics in their claims.

-Chris
2004-04-09 7:29 PM

Brasil
As I understand the Pose Running method, the "tractionless" running should be explained like this:
In ideal conditions, a wheel, while spinning on a surface, does not slide because its outer radius linear velocity is equal to the speed at wich it is going forward. By running, you should try do use your feet like wheels, but only for a litle while. When you touch the ground, try to make your foot "roll" like a wheel, thus minimizing the friction(and loss of energy) that would STOP you.
By contrast, if you are standing still in a hill, facing downhill, there would be friction in your feet holding you from going down. This is similar to what happens whrn you land your foot ahead of your center of gravity.
If, on the same hill, you bend your bodydownhill, ther is a component of your weight that will make you go forward. So, you should try to put your body weight for the good. We usually do this when we run uphill, isnt it?
Hope this helps...

Edited by meanman 2004-04-09 7:35 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running form, the Pose Running method (Learn To RunTM ) Rss Feed