General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good Place To Ride South Of DC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-11 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: Good Place To Ride South Of DC
Prince William Forest Park ... You guys ride this yet?

I am sure all the DC and VA BT's know about this place ... but last week I was working with customers near Quantico Marine Corps Base and afterwards wanted to go for a good ride while I waited for traffic back to Frederick to ease up. I got turned on to Prince William Forest National Park, thirty minutes south of DC near Triangle Virgina and just off highway 95. Great place to spin on the ~14 mile park loop, and almost zero traffic. Maybe saw a dozen cars in 50+ miles (4 laps). Terrain on the park road is is aero-bar friendly ... plenty of flat and some rolling hills but not too steep, although there were some climbing stretches at 8 MPH and some downhills at 43MPH. There is ample parking,  clean restrooms and a soda machine with Gatorade at the visitor center, and lots of shady, scenic riding. Very safe ... good visibility. I saw several other cyclists out.... I am sure this place gets crowded on weekend. Photos below ... it's probably not worth a special trip but if you find yourself down in that area, don't miss it.

(CompressPWFPark2.jpg)

(Comp PWFParkRide.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
CompressPWFPark2.jpg (35KB - 7 downloads)
Comp PWFParkRide.jpg (33KB - 6 downloads)

2010-05-12 5:58 AM
in reply to: #2852379

User image

Catonsville
Subject: RE: Good Place To Ride South Of DC
Thanks for the info.  My son is stationed at Quantico.  So during our next visit I will definitely have to take a ride through this park.
2010-05-12 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2852379

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Subject: RE: Good Place To Ride South Of DC

If memory serves me correctly, I believe it's good mountain biking territory there too.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good Place To Ride South Of DC Rss Feed