Triathlon Western Australia
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 46m 26s
Overall Rank = 819/1292
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 18/51
Pre-race routine:

Flew to Perth Wednesday before the Saturday race. (my birthday!)
Drove to Bunker Bay (beyond Busso) the following afternoon - taking much longer than expected. Friday occupied with putting bike together, a very quick swim and ride (just to check everything working)then race check-in a fairly ordinary (bit oily ) pasta meal and (very late!) atheletes briefing.
In bed around 10 (thats 11:30 SA time!) but happily managed to get some sleep.
Event warmup:

Warm up consisted of raising heart rate by finding a spare inner tube* and then changing tube due to overnight pinch puncture on front wheel with 45 minutes to race start.

*only brought one spare tube and it was used day before after noticing bent valve on tube.
Swim
  • 40h 29m
  • 1900 meters
  • 2h 07m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

[215 out of 343 women]
Unlike the other A-Gs, all women started en masse. It was without doubt the harshest, most brutal swim ever! I actually thought of raising my arm for a rescue after 200 meters of near drowning - and this is meant to be my good leg!

From start to finish this swim was a boxing match.

I suppose I'm most disappointed because coming to Busso everyone spoke of the "Gorgeous swim"....unfortunately I was not able to enjoy the atmosphere of this swim. I had expected to swim closer to 37 minutes...Bummer
What would you do differently?:

Position myself better. Very naive of me.
And in training I'll work on going out hard - rather than
warming up in to the swim as I typically do.
Get towards front quick, or resign myself to swimming on the outer to avoid the mental and physical distress.

Transition 1
  • 04m 56s
Comments:

what can I say? My T1 is always comically slow!
(And I sas busy being cranky -ok I was sulking - about my bad swim !)

Mental preparation for transitions is really helpful I think. Just didnt have much time to visualize it all before hand so became a little flustered when the wetsuit decided it wanted to remain plastered to my body. (despite lavish layers of oil/glide/vaseline etc!)
Bike
  • 2h 50m 26s
  • 90.1 kms
  • 31.72 km/hr
Comments:

[123 out of 343 women]
This was a great course for a PB.
Really happy with my training which had focussed on TT's in last 6-8 weeks before race.
I'd hoped to average about 30kph, so to improve upon that was really pleasing. And in the back of mind I know I can do better.

Sadly however there was a terrible collision in front of me. I was among the "First on Scene" and so had the momentary dilemna of stopping to help, or riding past and maintaining my pleasing pace. Well there is no question is there? I'm a 46 year old age grouper and well, a HUMAN BEING!, of course I stopped. And I'm happy to say so did 3 others. We helped the injured (collar bones ouch!) and bikes off the road and waited for the course officials to arrive. It was sobering and sad that two people who had trained so hard, and raced so well could meet with that terrible event.

Related to this topic is that there was some drafting that I observed (I suspect inevitable with the number of competitors and nature of the course) but I think the above mentioned collision occured when the chap cut off the woman behind him - this happened so often to me where someone would pass but not give you more than a few inches - bloody annoying as the rules require the rider behind to drop back. Anyway - not alone with this gripe I'm sure

Oh and I didnt have enought to eat and drink.....usual complaint (just 3 Hi-5 Isogels and the better part of a gooey power bar -what was I thinking? - and a half a packet of those gel/lollies.)

Nothing.
Happy with my training. Happy with my ride.
sort out my bottle cages (cant easily get bottles in/out of my cervelo frame)....I"ll get those rear mounted ones next time....I just dont drink enough...fairly well limited to drinking what I have in the front mounted bottle.

There was plenty of water etc on course - I just dont take the time to take on enough nutrition or water. Have got to improve on that next time.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

It is what it is.
Not my strength.

Not much.
One of those things where experience helps
Run
  • 2h 08m 19s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 05s  min/km
Comments:

[166 out of 343 women]

Started out happily enough on the run; and then just held on!
Crowds in Busso are terrific and certainly help you through. Really nice atmosphere.

Some complaints about not enough aid stations on the course. Some validity in that perhaps...but cant honestly say it effected me but I wear a fuel belt because I've been caught out with too few aid stations too often.

Only 3 Hi-5 gels on the run and couldnt stomach the lollies. (spent whole race worried about my lower GI issues which I'm happy to report did not become a problem)

I was only able to manage minimum run training (3 sometimes 4 days per week) but had some super mega-brick sessions (controversial according to some on BT, but I say they were v helpful to me)

Next HIM I hope to emphasize the run a bit more.....
But I'm sure we all agree we cant have perfection in training in all three disciplines....for Busso I worked hard on bike training....next one I'll focus on the run.

Had been running around 1:47 for Half ; so a 2:08 is not so bad I dont think. But I know I can do better!
Post race
Warm down:

PARTY!!!!!

Finished - faked a smile for the camera - but the genuine smiles were only minutes behind. Never hungry after a race which is a pity because the muffins did look good :)
Eventually got bike out of transition, loaded it into car, then found the biggest tastiest hamburger at the expo area that I've ever had!
Back to the stunning resort (Bunker Bay - highly recommended if you have loads of coin) then more or less turned around again to go to Athletes dinner/awards ceremony. If I go back to Busso next year its for the party !!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HAHA.
Limiitations? Same as most I suppose....I'm a 46 year old mother of two, full time professionally employed wanna-be triathlete. I train my arse off (!!) but am newish to tri (after 20 years off during which time I called myself (shudder) "a runner")

But for the next race? I'll keep up the training. And really nail this nutrition thing.

I have come a long way in 18 months and I know I can keep getting better.

Event comments:

I had a wonderful experience not just at this race, but after as well. The area is lovely, making this a top "destination race".

The negatives?
- bad swim start for the women
- athletes meeting way too late on the night before the race - especially anyone coming from o/s or interstate who has jetlag to contend with.

Actually, my hire car company informed me (not til I picked up the car) that I was not permitted to drive after dusk or before dawn because of the Kangaroo Menace on the roads) Had I heeded this* I would have missed the race meeting.
*shh dont tell please
- I wasnt too impressed with the race website. Certain information I wanted just wasnt posted until a few weeks before hand.

I wouldnt want anything I've said to put anyone off doing this race. I'd be very happy to come back !!

Last updated: 2010-02-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
40:29:00 | 1900 meters | 2h 07m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 22/51
Overall: 873/1292
Performance: Bad
Suit: orca Apex 2/ LS
Course: rectangle -swim out along Busso jetty, turn right, right again onto beach
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:56
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:50:26 | 90.1 kms | 31.72 km/hr
Age Group: 16/51
Overall: 757/1292
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 x out and back. Flat. Fast Pretty course and quite good roads- although at times odorous (dead roos dont ever seem to be picked up in WA!)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:08:19 | 21.1 kms | 06m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 18/51
Overall: 818/1292
Performance: Good
Lap 1: 5:43 kph Lap 2: 6:12 kph Lap 3: 6:19 kph
Course: 3 laps ; flat; along the foreshore
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-11 11:47 PM

User image

Adelaide
Subject: Busselton 1/2 Ironman

2010-05-13 12:11 AM
in reply to: #2852992

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Busselton 1/2 Ironman
Awesome race and great report!  So proud that you stopped at the accident, I'm sure lots wouldn't.  Race karma will reward you.

Guess if you headed over to WA for our race, then we should head east at some point for a race

Oh, the muffins were nice - I had yours :P
Nigel
2010-06-16 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2855487

User image

Veteran
Perth
Subject: RE: Busselton 1/2 Ironman
Great race - sorry to hear about our swim. I knew you were a strong swimmer from your training times so I bet you must have been really annoyed. 

Hope to see you back next year! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Busselton 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed