General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training through fatigue good or bad? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-12 8:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Training through fatigue good or bad?
Folks,
Last week I thought I would try to push my bike workouts to a higher intensity on every ride. I usually ride Monday afternoon, however I got tied up at work and couldn't ride until 5:30 PM. I rode 33 miles, hilly course and pushed to a new PR. This was good, however I get up at 3:00 AM to do my 12 mile run on Tuesday. I was sore and did not run. This bummed me out to miss this run. This week my plan was to take it easy on Mondays ride so I could run Tuesday AM. I then started second guessing myself in terms of taking it easy so I pushed it hard again Monday got up to run Tuesday and was sore, but decided to tough it out. I started at 8:10 minute miles for the first 5 then dropped off and averaged 8:50 for the total 12 miles. I went out and rode Tuesday afternoon hard, but short (55 minutes) hill session. Now I am beat up today. 

The question is does this help advance fitness to train while feeling some fatigue or is it better to fully recover before hitting it again?

Kevin 

2010-05-12 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2853316

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: RE: Training through fatigue good or bad?
If I didn't train when I was fatigued, I'd never get any workouts in.
2010-05-12 8:30 AM

User image

Runner
Training through fatigue can be good and bad. On some level, you're going to be tired, and you need to push through that.

However, I disagree with the manner in which you are doing it. I would not try to increase your intensity in every workout; you have seen the results of this, namely skipped workouts and an overriding sense of feeling beat up. You aren't training through fatigue with this. You just beating yourself up with no recovery. Eventually, your body will force you to recover, usually through either injury or burnout.

Being tired is one thing, being beat up is another. The saying "There's a fine line between hardcore and stupid" comes to mind right now. It seems to me you are starting to cross over that line. Doing hard workouts a couple times a week is alright. But not every day.

Setting PRs in training is nice; setting PRs in races is even nicer. You keep hammering like this, you are going to end up leaving it on the training course and won't have much left come race day.
2010-05-12 8:35 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Training while tired is one thing. Training when you are hurt, sick, or have over done it beforehand is another.

Going out and trying to PB every workout and pushing through them, ballz to the wall, isn't smart training anyway.

Yes, you should have some key intensity-focused workouts in each discipline...but they shouldn't be all out efforts, every day. And you should be making sure you get ample and appropriate rest.
2010-05-12 8:48 AM

What kind of training plan are you following?? It seems that you to not have the kind of structure in your training that follows the basic training principle of putting progressive stress on the body and then allowing time to recover so you get stronger over a period of time. Pushing yourself all the time when your are fatigued leads to injuries and setbacks. Rest is an impart of training to allow your body to recover to grow stronger.

2010-05-12 9:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
OK. BTW this is not something I do every week (just the last 2 weeks). In fact it appears to me that the problem stems from the duration of recovery between the hard ride and the long run. For example If I do the Monday ride at 11:00 finish at 12:30 I am OK to run Tuesday AM. This past week and last week I couldn't get a break from work so I pushed the start time until 5:30 finishing at 7:00. The rest interval was cut from 15 hours to 8 1/2 hours. As several people have pointed out the other option is to back off the intensity of the ride if I know I don't have the recovery time. I guess I did not realize how sensitive my body is to the rest interval.   

Kevin

2010-05-12 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2853605

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
chevy57 - 2010-05-12 10:49 AM OK. 

I guess I did not realize how sensitive my body is to the rest interval.   

Good advice from Scout and good thing above for you to learn.  Knowing that should make it easier for you to plan your training and manage intensity in the future.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training through fatigue good or bad? Rss Feed