General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim coach / stroke help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-12 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
MD
Subject: Swim coach / stroke help
Anyone have a coach they can recommend? I need some help tweaking my stroke- I seem to have picked up a tic that's creating some shoulder pain. Plus I'm slow.

I'm in Annapolis / Severna Park and work in Baltimore / Catonsville.. ideally I'd find someone along that route.. thanks for any suggestions!

2010-05-13 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2855280

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Swim coach / stroke help
Good luck!  I've asked this over the years and there isn't anyone who swears by their coach as a miracle worker around here.  There seems like a real market for someone who really knows their stuff in this area.

If I were you... I'd start at Arundel Olympic Swim Center during HS swim practice or Masters or Advanced kids lessons... and just chat it up with the coach and see if they are interested or might be able to recommend someone.
2010-05-13 7:51 AM

User image

Elite

Its a drive for you, but I love my coach Terry Kominski. She is located in Silver Spring/Olney area.  When the outdoor pool opens, she can do private lessons with you.  She has taught many a beginner triathlete how to swim!

Amy

2010-05-13 10:05 AM

User image

I dont think you will want to make the drive for this either but there is a guy, Paul Grube, who used to coach at University of Delaware and now coaches a youth program in Cecil County as well as various master swimmers up here. I paid him $50 a month for two sessions a week and it helped me a lot but I was/am a terrible swimmer. He is a big advocate of the principles discussed in the book Total Immersion.

I could ask him if he is willing to travel if you are interested.

Brandon
2010-05-13 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD
Theres always Bob Bowman at NBAC.

The Bowman suggestion was a joke, but checking out NBAC might be an option. Not sure if they have a masters type program or coaching but Im sure their website might have more info.

Edited by nhunter344 2010-05-13 12:16 PM
2010-05-13 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
fenway - 2010-05-12 9:35 PM

Anyone have a coach they can recommend? I need some help tweaking my stroke- I seem to have picked up a tic that's creating some shoulder pain. Plus I'm slow.

I'm in Annapolis / Severna Park and work in Baltimore / Catonsville.. ideally I'd find someone along that route.. thanks for any suggestions!

I can't make a recommendation either way but perhaps David Amato would work for you?

http://www.trainingtempered.com/index.html

Found him through Mid Maryland Tri Club links. There are clinics through MMTC with him but it looks like he might do private sessions in Owings Mills.

2010-06-23 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2855695

I did my first tri this weekend and totally freaked out in the swim. I need a swim coach before I attempt this again and would be interested in talking with Terry Kominski since I live in the Silver Spring/Olney area. How can I get in tontact with her/him?
2010-06-23 4:34 PM

User image

Elite

Terry: her.   She is at strathmore/Bel pre Pool for the summer.  Her contact  is under "coach"  this is her summer team.

http://www.strathmore-belpre.org/Dolphins.htm

2010-06-23 6:26 PM

User image

Baltimore
If there are no good coaches in the Baltimore area how did Michael Phelps get so fast? Just kidding! I was about to post the same question myself.
2010-06-28 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2940023

Beth Baker at Am. U. in DC.  Took a solo lesson for $90/hr and improved my swim time two weeks later in the DC Tri by 8 minutes.   ...and left the water ready to kick some butt on the bike...most importantly!

Good luck.  Tell her Bo sent you.  I'm now doing Masters there for $75 for 10 visits.  

2010-06-29 12:42 PM

New user

Annapolis/DC
Jenn Bistrack in Annapolis is great.  I don't think she's taking on new one-on-one coaching until later this summer, but email me and I'll put you in touch with her.  She does a lot of Masters coaching, and has done wonders for my swimming.  Alternatively, you can join one of her Masters classes, and experience Jenn's Pool of Pain.  Which isn't actually that painful.

Also, there is an Iron Crab named David Wendkos who just posted this on the crabs forums...

To anyone interested, I am offering private and semi-private swim coaching. I am certified for both pool and open water by USA Swimming and by American Swim Coaches Association (ASCA), and I am fully insured. I can work with you in a pool, or in the open water, and offer above and below water video and review. I am also fully versed in the differences between pool and open-water swimming. I can work with you on things like drafting, rounding turn buoys, deep water and beach starts, sighting, choosing equipment, etc.

A (sorta) brief bio:
Taking my first swim lesson at the age of nine months, I was truly a water baby. I began swimming competitively at the age of 6, and continued on through club teams, high school, and into college at the NCAA level (Emory University), where I earned multiple All-Conference honors. Since graduation, I have remained highly active, participating in a variety of sports, including open water competitions. In 2006, I began my life as a triathlete, and have since competed in a variety of events, ranging from sprint distance to IM70.3's. I have been a coach with the Annapolis High School swim team, the Annapolis Swim Club (a USA Swimming Club Team), and currently work with numerous individual athletes, both competitive swimmers and triathletes, to help them improve their technique, efficiency, speed, and success in the water. Along with coaching, I offer private learn-to-swim lessons for individuals and groups of any age or skill leve. I am a coach and contributing blog writer at TriSwimCoach.com as well. You can find me on the web at AquaticRhino.com, or on Twitter at twitter.com/SwimMD. I can be contacted by email at [email protected], or by phone at 443-744-3700.

I believe you will find my rates to be very reasonable, and the results to be very significant. I appreciate you reading this and hope to talk with you soon.

Swimmingly,
David Wendkos

"The key to the word TRIUMPH is in the first syllable. You gotta Tri!"

2010-07-07 11:24 AM

User image

New user

I don't a specific coach to recommend, but you may want to check out the SPY Aquatics programs at the Severna Park Community Center.  They have new personal training and Tri training programs that some of the Masters coaches and other SPY instructors are involved in.  If you just need help tweaking your form that might work for you. 

2010-07-07 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2965778

User image

Regular
MD
Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

2010-09-13 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2967214

Did you ever find a swim coach you were happy with? I stumbled across this thread tonight, and saw that one of my fellow ATC'ers copied my forum post from the Iron Crabs website. I have been seeing a lot of success with the triathletes I've been working with (a bunch this past weekend at Nations actually), and would love the opportunity to work with you if you are still looking.

If you are at all interested, please give me a call or drop me an email.
Thanks,
David Wendkos

[email protected]
or
443-744-3700
2010-09-13 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2949681

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
bhuge - 2010-06-28 10:01 PM Beth Baker at Am. U. in DC.  Took a solo lesson for $90/hr and improved my swim time two weeks later in the DC Tri by 8 minutes.   ...and left the water ready to kick some butt on the bike...most importantly!

Good luck.  Tell her Bo sent you.  I'm now doing Masters there for $75 for 10 visits.  

That's thru Curl-Burke, right? I did their spring tri clinic at Georgetown Prep and really liked the coaching, too....
2010-10-27 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2856107

User image

Regular
SquatSauce - 2010-05-13 11:05 AM I dont think you will want to make the drive for this either but there is a guy, Paul Grube, who used to coach at University of Delaware and now coaches a youth program in Cecil County as well as various master swimmers up here. I paid him $50 a month for two sessions a week and it helped me a lot but I was/am a terrible swimmer. He is a big advocate of the principles discussed in the book Total Immersion.

I could ask him if he is willing to travel if you are interested.

Brandon

im in harford county... might be worth the drive... any more info?

unless anyone knows of any coaches in Harford county... im sure they dont ahve to be THE best jsut able to teach me some... my stroke seems ok but my kicking sucks... but im sure even my stroke could be improved

2010-11-01 9:48 AM

Regular
Annapolis, MD
fenway - 2010-05-12 9:35 PM Anyone have a coach they can recommend? I need some help tweaking my stroke- I seem to have picked up a tic that's creating some shoulder pain. Plus I'm slow. I'm in Annapolis / Severna Park and work in Baltimore / Catonsville.. ideally I'd find someone along that route.. thanks for any suggestions!

David Wendkos has started a masters program at Severna Park Racquetball and Fitness Club.  I'm in it and have already seeing tons of benefits from his instruction.  Non-members of the club can join the program also.  Go to the SPRFC website for more info.  I definitely recommend it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim coach / stroke help Rss Feed