General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Revolution3 Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Knoxville, Tennessee
United States
Revolution3 Triathlon Series
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 02m 49s
Overall Rank = 26/184
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/19
Pre-race routine:

Tons of fun this past weekend. It really was more of an event than just a race. I was completely relaxed on race morning. We got to bed at a decent hour the night before and sleeping wasn't difficult. I was concerned that my legs would be really tired from being on them the day before but I woke up fairly refreshed.

One additional thing that I loved about this race is the 8 am start. That meant an extra hour of sleep and no rush in the morning. Therefore, a 6 am wake up call was an simple accommodation. We left the hotel around 6:40 and made the 10 minute walk to transition. The morning was cold. A blast of cold air crept in the day before and left us all shivering that morning. The weather channel reported 48 degrees at sunrise and the temps weren't expected to rise beyond 60 before noon.
Event warmup:

I slowly shed layers in transition. Since we checked the bikes the night before, there wasn't much to do. I decided to just chill and stay warm. We eventually made the walk down to the swim start. I was ready to get the blood flowing a bit more. I went for a quick jog to jolt the heartrate and then jumped into my wetsuit to stay warm. A few pics later and it was time to head down to the dock. We were able to enter the water a few minutes prior to our wave start. I did a brief warm up and just focused on having a steady day.
Swim
  • 31m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think this was the first time I raced with a floating start. We just sat there bobbing like corks waiting for the gun. The wave likely had just over 100 people. Since it was in a river we were spread out pretty evenly. I located a small groove an waited the start.

The first 2-400m were easy. There was little to no fighting. You had to battle for position but it was one of the gentlest I ever had. I just focused on finding feet and getting loose in the water. I always hate the first 5-6 minutes of a long swim. Once the crowd separates, I start remembering how much I hate swimming. It happens every time.

I felt really engaged for the first 10-15 minutes of the swim. I rounded both buoys and just glided. For the longest time, I was in no mans land. I couldn't hold the feet in front of me while pulling the ones behind me. Eventually, we merged with the Olympic distance race and a whole new slew of people appeared. Fresh feet. I never felt particularly fast but I felt smooth. The last few minutes were a bit of a struggle as I could tell I was getting a bit tired.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I felt smooth in the water. I probably could have pushed more but that wasn't the plan
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

It was a long run up the boat ramp and around the corner into transition. Luckily I was racked on the end and had no trouble finding my bike. I debated putting on socks but felt the feet had too much debris to fumble with. Instead, I opted to just deal with the cold. Time to ride

In retrospect, I could have shaved time here. I was efficient but can do better.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Hands down this was one of my favorite bike races. The course was beautiful and challenging. It forced you to stay engaged the entire time. You were constantly shifting, in and out of aero and then descending down a blind hill.

My goal for the race was to ride conservatively. Apparently I felt really good when I started because I was riding hot with my watts a bit high. I tried to take each hill easy. My plan was that if it felt like a hill, then I would shift to my easiest gear and spin up it. I would make up my time on the downhill.

I quickly settled into my race pace. My RPE felt really low. My watts were still a bit high. I made it up and over the first two real climbs and blasted down the backside. The course flattened out and hugged a creek around mile 20. I picked it up a bit through this stretch. I hit the 28 mile turn around feeling pretty good. My watts were higher than where I felt they should be and I was slightly ahead of schedule.

On the return, I was riding with 3-4 other people. I would build a lead, they would catch me on the climb and I would pass them again on the other side of the hill. This went on for the nearly an hour. Finally, I made the decision to pee the bike and I lost the pack. I frequently saw them ahead of me in flat spots but didn't want to push the pace. Things were going my way.

The backside of the previous climbs were a bit more challenging. 45 miles into a ride and a long hill can take it out of you. I started feeling a bit tired around the 2 hour mark. I had to just focus on executing the same game plan.

When I finally hit Neyland Dr, I picked it up a bit more. I tried to wake up my legs. I was unable to feel my left foot for most of the ride. At the time, I just assumed it was the cold weather. I hopped off the bike and prepared for the run

Nothing. I paced it right. I certainly could have pushed it but I was having fun.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

A bit of a cluster here. Racked the bike, put on socks and shoes and looked for an exit. I had to run down a volunteer to ask where to exit. No signs and nothing in the guide about transition. Just a minor annoyance.

I barely remember t2. what was I doing for two minutes?
Run
  • 1h 45m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a plan. I wanted to try a new strategy for the HIM distance. My goal was to slow down for the first 3 miles, focus on running the next 3 smoothly and then trying to negative split the run. While this race was never about a specific time, I managed to glance at my overall time running out of T2. I knew if I ran a 1:45 then I would go sub 5. That might be doable if I am smart.

I was successful in slowing down the first 2 miles. I nailed an 8 minute pace. By mile 3, I felt like I could hold this pace all day. During the 3rd mile I pushed a little harder and the pace quickened. I hit the first out and back turnaround feeling really good.

On the next stretch the leaders passed and that gave me some added motivation. Nearly the entire run was on a greenway through the woods. It provided plenty of shade and some decent scenery. I hit the 6.5 mile split at about 51 minutes. I had a solid first half of the run. Now it was time to start working.

I knew I need some calories at this point. I then did something...twice...that I have never done in all my years of racing. I refused to stop running at aid stations. I opted to grab what I could. So I grabbed a gel at the next station...ripped it open with my mouth...and threw the packet on the ground. Crap. That wasn't supposed to happen. I kept trucking along and made it to the next station. I did the same thing. Of course I could have turned around but I was worried about breaking my streak.

And then it went downhill. Only fitting. Somewhere around mile 7.5 I noticed that I was feeling a bit lightheaded. I wasn't running straight. I knew a bonk was coming up and quickly. My pace slowed big time. My heartrate plummeted and I entered that dark place. My undefined goals were slipping away. I kept reminding myself that if I finished strong, it would still be a solid race.

My sub-8 pace slowed to 8:45 at mile 8. The next mile was just over 9. At this point I had to force calories into the body. I stopped at the aid station and grabbed everything I could. I forced fluids into the system. I climb the hill back onto campus and talked to Jessica briefly. The wheels were slowly coming off.

And then the calories hit the body and I started running again. At mile 10, I knew I had a 5k to go. I glanced at the overall clock and had to run about a 23 minute 5k to go under 5 hours. I began pushing harder as the terrain flattened. I once again found a 8:20 pace. I pushed for more. I hit the last out and back hoping that I had banked enough time but was very uncertain.

I pushed hard during the last mile until I encounter the most cruel obstacle I have ever encountered in a race. Sitting at mile 12.5 was the biggest hill of the run course. They course needed a little extra distance and all they had was this final hill. And the hill was steep...and then it went up some more...and then some more. It was a quarter of a mile straight up...and then back down. I pushed and it hurt. I had not walked all day until then. I walked the final 15-20 feet of the hill and came back tumbling down. Brutal.

More calories. I never have a nutrition plan for the run. It is always push and hang on. My pacing strategy worked great. Definitely recommend.
Post race
Warm down:

I wanted to jump up and down with happiness but instead I collapsed. I just wanted to sit down. I was thrilled.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was more of a mental race for me. I didn't care about my time as much. Training wasn't going well prior so I didn't have expectations. It is satisfying to know that I can still pr at that distance.

Event comments:

I would HIGHLY recommend Rev3 to anyone. the course is tough so it isn't for the weak. the group put on a great show. i hope to be back next year.

Last updated: 2010-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:57 | 2112 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 25/184
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Evo
Course: Headed due east upstream, two right had turns and back downstream past the start line. Exit at Volunteer landing on boat dock
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:40:42 | 56 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 15/184
held 82.5% of ftp
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:45:52 | 13.1 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/19
Overall: 23/184
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-13 1:56 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: Revolution3 Half Ironman Triathlon

2010-05-13 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2857010

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Half Ironman Triathlon
Great report. Thanks!
2010-05-13 2:21 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Nice race Dollar!! Great report too! Way to hang in there on the run after a fantastic bike leg!!

HONK!! HONK!!
2010-05-13 2:29 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
great race, great report!

Wish I'd seen you there
2010-05-13 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2857122

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

It was nice to meet you before the swim.  Congratulations on a great race!  Entertaining RR too.

2010-05-13 7:27 PM

User image

Expert

Awesome pacing strategy on the run - I really like it!  Great race out there!!

2010-05-15 5:10 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
AttaAndrew.

Awesome race for you. You're back, biyatch....Nice Swim and ride, and cling like grim death to the run. That's how it's supposed to be, no?!

And how the hell did you catch me at the 2nd buoy if we swam (roughly) the same time, hmm?  Would have been classic for you to kick the crap out of some poor SOB in a promotion red wetsuit. I'd have had a 20 to get that on DollarTube.

As always, great seeing you and Jess. I'll miss you guys at TTT next weekend. Until the next one.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed