Set-up Inc.
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 35s
Overall Rank = 214/297
Age Group = Novice
Age Group Rank = 11/26
Pre-race routine:

I actually got a little sleep that night so that was good. Woke up at 5:30, loaded the car and headed out. Ate a turkey and cheese bagel and a soda on the road and a power bar right before the race. Got there at 7am and was a little overwhelmed at everything going on. Got my tires pumped and transition setup (which happened to be the farthest rack from the bike start/finish)
Event warmup:

Not much. Just got in the water 20min before time and swam around a little. Should've swam more because I was still really cold at the start.
Swim
  • 16m 41s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had done 4 open water swims before so I was pretty comfortable going in. I tried drafting three different people. The first guy was too fast and I quickly lost sight. The second guy was too slow so I swam around him. The third guy swam at a good pace but kept doing a butterfly kick every 25' or so. I later realized he was probably sighting but either way I swam the rest on my own.Goggles fogged up pretty bad by the last turn and when I wanted to speed up (and actually had the energy to do so) I didn't because I wasn't sure if I was going the right way. I just kept a guy on either side of me and swam as straight as I could.
What would you do differently?:

Overall, I was pretty happy with the swim. I probably could have swam harder but I still had a long way to go before this race was over.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

There was a pretty long run in the wetsuit and I had a hard time balancing on one foot trying to get my socks/shoes on. Almost felt like I was dizzy. I had a lot of dirt and grass in my shoes but didn't bother me any. I had my wetsuit down still on the dock but left my goggles/cap on until I got to the transition area. Oh well.

Practiced swim, short run, then transition. I only practiced the transition basically on the dock as soon as I got out of the water.
Bike
  • 48m 40s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I was the farthest rack from the bike exit so had long jog with cleats. I had decided to put the shoes on before mounting the bike but leave them on the bike and run in socks back. That part worked out well. The bike segment was a little harder than I thought because of how I trained I guess. I try to do 2 group rides a week which includes lots and lots of drafting. Of course we can't do that here. At least once a week, I try to ride on my own. I usually set a pace and stick to it the whole way. In the race, you almost have to sprint past people so the drafting nazi's don't penalize you and this wore me out quickly. Overall, I was a little disappointed as I was expecting a 45min time.

Practice short sprints and stop drafting so much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I road with my feet on the shoes even though I only practiced it a few times before. I didn't fall and jumped off in time so that was good. I made a quick shoe change but took my sunglasses off after my helmet. I don't know why. Grabbed my race number and headed out.

leave my sunglasses on. Maybe take a water bottle with me.
Run
  • 31m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the segment I dreaded. I'm not a strong runner and often have knee pain and nausea whenever I do run. I took off strong but had to walk after I had only gone a mile. I actually walked 3 times and for way too long each time. I was happy with the time but upset I had to walk so much. It was hot but it had been overcast for the swim and bike so it wasn't too overwhelming.

Slow down and pace yourself. Since I walked alot and still had a good time (for me) I can only guess I was running way too fast. Maybe coming right off the bike, a 6mph run seems slow as hell? I do need to run farther after I bike as almost all my bricks are only 1mile (which happened to be where I burnt out). Maybe bike 5-10 and then run 5 instead of bike 20 and run 1 all the time.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around a little and drank too much water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have gone from the couch to a triathlon in 6 weeks. For that little time, I am ecstatic at my performance and can't wait to see what I can do in another 6 weeks!

Event comments:

Had a great first triathlon experience and will definitely be doing this next year (the HIM)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:41 | 820 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/26
Overall: 128/297
Performance: Good
Suit: blue seventy reaction
Course: triangular swim to dock
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:40 | 14 miles | 17.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/26
Overall: 244/297
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: 2 laps around white lake; only 2 right turns and no hills. Bumpy roads for 1-2miles on the back side of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:15 | 03.11 miles | 10m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/26
Overall: 234/297
Performance: Average
Course: one lap there and back on a flat course through neighborhood
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-13 2:30 PM

User image

Fayetteville
Subject: White Lake Sprint Triathlon

2010-05-13 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2857126

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: White Lake Sprint Triathlon
Good job Jason!  Looks like you noted some helpful observations in your race report!

I like your bike strategy with the shoes and glad that worked out for you.  I think you are a good candidate to go without socks on a sprint distance.  I like to dump a little baby powder on the end of the towel and inside my shoes, and also put glide at the back of the heel.  When you get to transition, give your feet a couple of swipes on the baby powder towel and shove them into your shoes as your putting on helmet and sunglasses.  Grab bike and go!  This will reduce yout T1 time.

You are going to excel at this.

Way to go!
2010-05-14 9:56 PM
in reply to: #2857126

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: White Lake Sprint Triathlon
Congratulations on a great White Lake!  That was my first ever solo race, back in 2005.  It's still one of my favorite races.  Such a pretty swim!

Stay with it, you'll enjoy it.  Find fun places to race, and don't focus on the finish time.  Focus on the experiences along the way.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed