General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Will I fry my heart monitor? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-09 12:19 PM

Subject: Will I fry my heart monitor?
Has anyone tried swimming with their Heart rate monitor. I have a polar which I always use on runs but I'm not sure if it will survive a swim.

2004-04-09 12:28 PM
in reply to: #17547

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Will I fry my heart monitor?
You won't fry it but you won't get accurate information from it either. The water will cause problems with signal transimission.
2004-04-09 7:42 PM

I wear my Polar HRM when swimming all the time. The readings are accurate enough for my needs. The only warning is DO NOT PUSH ANY BUTTONS UNDERWATER -- or even when wet for that matter. Water will seep into it and THEN it is somewhat fryed, and will need to be sent back to the manufacturer. (ask me how I know!!)
2004-04-09 7:53 PM
in reply to: #17610

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-04-09 7:54 PM

NW Suburbs of Chicago
I have worn mine in the water a couple of times but I spent too much time futzing with it (ie: pulling the strap up when it got wet and crept down, looking at "OO" when my arm is underwater, etc.). So now I just go by my timex watch and glance at splits every 100yds to get an idea of where I am.

2004-04-09 8:02 PM

Yep -- I did it! I was a bit lapse in not pushing a button at the wrong time.

We gals have a little advantage of being able to keep the HR transmitter strap in place without too much (for me none) futzin' I don't use (as in look at) the HRM much while swimming -- I mainly collect my data after the swim. I may glance at it at the wall after a certain number of laps or distance is all.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Will I fry my heart monitor? Rss Feed