General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Knoxville, Tennessee
United States
Revolution 3
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 54s
Overall Rank = 271/362
Age Group = Male 40-44
Age Group Rank = 35/40
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep much at all from 3:00 to 5:00, got up at 5:00, got ready and drove 45 minutes from my house to the race. Ate some oatmeal and a banana before the race. Got my stuff ready at transition and was available in case any of the pros needed advice for the race. Suprisingly none of them did.
Event warmup:

Walked half a mile along the river from transition to the start.
Swim
  • 26m 29s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

The air was cool at about 48 degrees so the water felt warmer. Not cold at all in the wetsuit. There were three bridges on the route and I did not hit any of them (no I am not 100% in avoiding permanent structures in the water in my racing career,see my B2B report for details). Water was smooth. Overall a decent swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

Focus more on technique and less on avoiding people around me. Maybe try to swim a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

I was a little slow in T1 and had trouble getting shoes on. But I somehow managed to pass 2 people in transition.

Practice transition more.
Bike
  • 1h 39m 3s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.05 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is my weak segment and it showed. I live in East Tennessee so I expected hills but these exceeded expectations. About the only time I passed people was going up the hills. Not that people weren't passing me then too. Well marked course with volunteers, police and light traffic. Saw 2 people that crashed, I think they both got too far over to the right and went off the shoulder of the road. Both seemed ok though. Going up the largest hill on the last half of the course, I thought I had goofed and signed up for the Tour de France. I saw Lieto, Bozzone and Reed at the start but I must have missed Armstrong and Contador.

Lose weight.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Thought I did fairly well here, I passed 10 people in T2.

Not much.
Run
  • 58m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I did ok here considering my struggles on the bike. Could run faster without the extra few pounds I have now. My sister ran through the finishing chute with me and we could see ourselves on the Jumbotron they had set up.

Could have pushed a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish area. They had food, drinks and and inflatable playground for the kids. Chris Lieto, Matty Reed and Julie Dibens were at a table signing autographs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor biking skills.

Event comments:

Rev3 did an excellent job with this race. I wouldn't change much. The bike course was tough but then maybe I am a wuss. Racing with some top name pros was cool. I can't play ball with Peyton or LeBron but I can do a race in Knoxville with Reed and Lieto. I will probably do it again next year the Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.

Last updated: 2010-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:29 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/40
Overall: 184/362
Performance: Average
Suit: FTR Full Sockeye
Course: Start at Calhoun's restaurant and go up river against the current for about 0.2 miles and then around a bouy and back down river for 0.7 miles to the finish at the Lady Vol Boatdock.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:39:03 | 24.85 miles | 15.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 35/40
Overall: 216/362
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Very hilly course. Starts by Neyland Stadium on UT campus, up and down some hills there, then to downtown, across Henley street bridge, then into some suburban countryside. Scenic course with lots of hills and turns. Aid stations at about mile 10 and 17. Did I mention the hills?
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:23 | 06.21 miles | 09m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/40
Overall: 202/362
Performance: Average
Course: The hilly bike was balanced out by a flat run. Start out on Neyland Drive which is flat then turn right onto a small hill then down 5 or 6 stairs and onto the greenway which has only one short small hill. Turn around on the greenway and back to the finish. Slight uphill from where you pass transition back to the finish but overall a very flat run. Aid stations about every mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-14 4:57 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon

2010-05-14 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2859892

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon
Dude this has to be one of the best lines I've ever read .....,"There were three bridges on the route and I did not hit any of them (no I am not 100% in avoiding permanent structures in the water in my racing career,see my B2B report for details)."

Great job. I was a tough bike course and I was likely one of those people you saw crashed out on the side of the road (I got some help from a car ).

Good job and hope to see you back next year.
2010-05-19 1:32 PM

User image

New user

Glad I could provide some entertainment for your.  Hitting that channel marker at the Beach 2 Battleship swim was a most impressive move by me.
2010-05-20 9:27 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Well done dude, great to read a report from another local!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution 3 Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed