General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colorado Colfax Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-14 5:16 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: Colorado Colfax Marathon : Official Thread

Who's racing Sunday?  I'm doing the half.

2010-05-14 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2859930

User image

Elite
Denver
Subject: RE: Colorado Colfax Marathon : Official Thread

Also doing the half!

2010-05-14 9:22 PM

User image

Denver, CO
I'm not racing, but I'll be out there on my bike cheering for a friend!
2010-05-14 10:29 PM

User image

Regular
Parker
I'm doing the 1/2 as well. If you haven't picked up your packet yet, be prepared. They had a "printing error and your race number has someone elses name on it. I will be running under the name Michelle.
2010-05-15 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO

I'm doing the half too.

2010-05-15 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2860295

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
stevemurf1 - 2010-05-14 9:29 PM I'm doing the 1/2 as well. If you haven't picked up your packet yet, be prepared. They had a "printing error and your race number has someone elses name on it. I will be running under the name Michelle.

Nice!  That should cause a stir.

I'm switching from full to half today so mine won't have a name, unless they have a selection of "Forgot to Train" or "Chicken" waiting for folks like me

2010-05-15 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Another "issue" at the Colfax Marathon?  Shocking...
2010-05-15 12:44 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

I will be out there cheering on my wife and son.  SO I will cheer you guys on too!  Best of luck and it looks like a great day!

2010-05-15 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Best of luck to all racers. Looks like the weather may actually be decent.

I'm recovering from doing the Colorado Marathon in Fort Collins last Sunday. Finished a bit slower than expected, but still a nice BQ.
2010-05-15 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2860650

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
markdills38 - 2010-05-15 11:44 AM

I will be out there cheering on my wife and son.  SO I will cheer you guys on too!  Best of luck and it looks like a great day!

Hey, did stevemurf get your wife's bib Surprised
2010-05-15 3:24 PM

User image

Denver, CO
I was there this morning for the kids race and the expo. The expo was NOT impressive, to say the least, and the disorganization for the kids race was ridiculous. To their credit, the race WAS $10 cheaper than the Denver marathon's in the fall, but the fact that I paid active.com $1 to register online earlier this week and avoid having to stand in line for packet pick-up this morning, only to get there and still have to stand in line because there was only one line for people pre-registered AND registering was irritating. And then the conflicting info on t-shirts...the people at registration said that there wasn't a shirt, there had been some but they were out. Then the announcer said that there were shirts, but you had to get them after the race (mind you, he only announced this once, so I guess if you missed it, you were SOL). Mile runners got medals, but the 1/2 and 1/4 milers only got ribbons (which my DS was thrilled with, but I was a little disappointed). They did the mile first, so the little ones had to stand around waiting quite a while until there race went off.  We did get a t-shirt, but only because I had heard the announcement so we went back to the registration tent after the race and you had to ASK for a shirt. Weird, in my opinion.

The kids expo was decent, some fun games and bubbles, face painting, etc., put on by Primrose. It's going to be a muddy mess in that area tomorrow after all the rain yesterday and the traffic in the area today, but there's not really much they could do about that. I thought the "real" expo was pretty disappointing...nothing really interesting there at all.

Hopefully the race tomorrow is more organized than the kids race today! Good luck to all of you running it!

2010-05-15 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2860590

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
FF Stock - 2010-05-15 10:24 AM Another "issue" at the Colfax Marathon?  Shocking...

Exactly, this is the most unorganized race I've ever been a part of.  I think we could have gotten people off the short bus that would do a better job.

I'm just part of a relay team thankfully, but so far this experience has me saying I will never even think about doing the race again, let alone actually do it.  Sad too, because Kaiser supports some other much better run races (like Run the Rocks 5k).

For those unaware of all the relay foul ups and mis-information they've had, here's a partial list:

1. Two weeks ago I map out my relay leg and notice that it's .7mile SHORT of what they say it should be, meaning at least one other leg must be longer than expected.  I talk with others and they said they noticed similar things with their portions not matching what the race says.  5 days before the race, they send out and email with different distances listed (the correct ones).  But they never say "sorry" for the mis-information they had before.  In the end 3 out of the 5 legs were wrong.  The longest leg actually got the most distance added to it too.
  2. Official information was the EVERYONE had to go pick up their packet and bib number.  I'm friends with 8 of the relay teams, the first few people to go pick up their packet are given everyone's on their teams bibs.  They actually have to argue a bit to give them back so the other people can get theirs later since people had made plans to get there based around this information.  If everyone didn't have to show up, that would have been nice to know, instead of making everyone drive there, we could just send one person and know that we can meet up with each other later that day or the next day to get our stuff from them.
  3. The area to pick up your packet was organized by bib number, as opposed to the first letter of your last name like every other event.  Which would be fine... but WTF?!... how are you supposed to know your bib number before you get your bib?!
I just wanted to post some of this in case anyone reads this thread for next year.  It's definitely not a race I'd recommend to anyone... and I haven't even run the thing yet... definitely not the first impression a race should be giving.
2010-05-15 8:57 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
I ran the full 2 years ago and said I'd never do it again, but registered in Jan. anyway because it was only $45.  I have low expectations of the race but am looking forward to beer and BBQ afterwards

Expo was much smaller than I expected, but I picked up some stuff fairly cheap so I'm happy.

Check-in was a breeze, even with switching from full to half.  Sorry to hear it was so disorganized for the kids' races!

Hope to see some BTers tomorrow -- I'll be wearing a black visor and black skirt (like dozens of others I'm sure) so say hey if you see me wandering around.
2010-05-15 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2860666

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Donskiman - 2010-05-15 12:11 PM Best of luck to all racers. Looks like the weather may actually be decent.

I'm recovering from doing the Colorado Marathon in Fort Collins last Sunday. Finished a bit slower than expected, but still a nice BQ.

Congrats Don!!!!
2010-05-15 10:24 PM

User image

Denver, CO
I ran the relay two years ago, and I remember that we didn't have to go pick up bibs...just one person had to go. I think the website did say that everyone had to go, too, but our captain went on Friday to find out for sure and was able to get all of them. I wonder why the distances were off...have they changed the course? When I did it, it was 2 10ks, 2 5ks, and the remainder. That would be really annoying, especially for less-experienced runners who have been training for a specific distance!

I'll be out along the half course on my bike...light blue Specialized. I'll be wearing a black helmet and either an orange jacket or hot pink shirt, depending on the temp! Good luck, racers!
2010-05-16 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

I cannot believe that this race has survived as long as it has.  Every year it seems like there is a major blunder.  The course was long one year which is unforgivable.  They also had a year where they took the leaders off course.  The first year course was poorly planned, boring, and finished with a long long uphill.  Now they've altered the course but it still looks like a lot of straight line running, though you can't really call it the Colfax Marathon without spending a lot of time on Colfax I guess.

Five race directors in five years doesn't help but I hear there is a new race director now and she hired her second in command straight from Dave McGillivray's circle so that should help...

Edited by FF Stock 2010-05-16 10:47 AM

2010-05-16 3:35 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
I ran the half for the 1st time this year and had a blast.  Definitely doing it again next year, esp given the cheap reg fee.  PR'd today -- woo hoo!  Record numbers registered and the volunteers were fantastic.  Good BBQ w/ below average beer (sorry Lance, I'm not a Mich Ultra fan) but still managed more than 1 beer @ 9:30am   Cheap race in beautiful weather.
2010-05-16 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2861472

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
FF Stock - 2010-05-16 9:46 AM

I cannot believe that this race has survived as long as it has.  Every year it seems like there is a major blunder.  The course was long one year which is unforgivable.  They also had a year where they took the leaders off course.  The first year course was poorly planned, boring, and finished with a long long uphill.  Now they've altered the course but it still looks like a lot of straight line running, though you can't really call it the Colfax Marathon without spending a lot of time on Colfax I guess.

Five race directors in five years doesn't help but I hear there is a new race director now and she hired her second in command straight from Dave McGillivray's circle so that should help...

Just for the record, Denver Mary was long last year, too.  I won't do it again now that it's R&R, tho.  Too bad for them, right?
2010-05-16 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
The volunteers were the best part of the entire race in my opinion.

Here's another thing for you to ponder on their organizational skills and the service they provide as a race... there were 444, 5 person relay teams (now do the math on that one for registration fees).  They only gave the final leg of the relay a timing chip, no hand offs, just a literally hand slap to send your running onto the next portion.  Which means if you didn't time yourself, you wouldn't have a split.  With todays chip timing, and the amount each relay runner pays... it's not asking that much.  But I think I did figure out where they spend their money... The marathon and half marathon have different courses on different streets.  Which means paying double the amount they have to for police and permits to close down the roads.  Now, the half marathon finishes under the same banner and runs together for about the last .2-.3 mile (there's no division in the road for half and full marathoners when they mix together).  Sounds fine, until you actually see it happen.  You have marathoners starting to come in at a blazingly fast speed by 2hrs and 30minutes... they are doing 5:50mile pace, and now you have the half marathoners finishing in 2 1/2 hours doing almost an 11:30 pace.... these poor people have to duck and week through everyone.  Now, add in 444 relays, you have guys coming in who have to only run 5.3 miles for the last leg doing sub 7 and sub 8 paces coming in at 3hours while the half marathoners are doing nearly a 14minute/pace.... and trust me, there are a LOT of people doing that kind of pace, at least cone off a 1/4 of the road to the marathoners, there's not nearly as many of them, but the fast guys don't want to weave through the slow people... and the slow people don't want guys flying past them in a sprint to the finish.

On that note... my relay team took 7th out of 444... we were pretty shocked. We never thought we'd come in the top 10 out of that many.

2010-05-16 9:38 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Nice job Susan and the rest of you that ran today! 

I've never run Colfax marathon but have done my share of events over the years.  I'll admit that some are run better than others.  But those of you that are not happy with the race have a choice...no one makes you sign up for the event. Especially today, wasn't long ago Denver didn't even have a marathon. It's easy to be a critic...you couldn't pay me enough to be a race director!
2010-05-17 12:58 AM

User image

Denver, CO
I feel like we were chip timed when I did the relay, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure I remember a volunteer taking off my chip. I know that I'm not officially listed as running my leg because they had signed up the team way early and subbed in replacements for people who can't run. So, my 5k PR is technically unofficial since there's no "official" record of it other than my Garmin download.

I will say that they definitely spent a good bit of money on police presence. I don't think I've *ever* seen so many police out on a course before. Riding along 17th on the way back to City Park, there were one or two policemen at every intersection through Aurora and almost every intersection in Denver. I don't know how necessary it was since I think a volunteer could have sufficed at most intersections, with police at the major ones. Better too many policemen than not enough, though, I guess!

I agree with zionvier that it could definitely be a problem for the fast marathoners coming in with the slow half-marathoners, but that's certainly not specific to this race. I've seen similar things at both the Denver Marathon and Colorado Marathon, and neither one of those had part of the course into the finish separated for faster/slower runners. When I ran the Colorado Marathon (I did the 1/2 and had about 6 marathoners pass me), you even had really slow joggers and walkers who were doing the 5k/10k mixing in.

The volunteers really were great, the course was very bike-along-able , and the weather was just about perfect, so overall a good day! I had a ton of fun biking and cheering, and got in a decent, if fairly leisurely 22 mile ride.

2010-05-19 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2862405

Veteran
I was there too - did the half. 

And I don't doubt there were issues with the finish between full marathoners and half.  However, the half started 45 minutes after the full.  Which, unless my math is wrong, means you've the the 2:30 marathoners finishing with the the 1:45 half'ers.  Not quite as bad. 

Overall I though the event was good.  Packet pickup/expo was cramped, and agree with the comments about the kids race.  DD was in the quarter mile & it felt like a loooong time waiting for the milers to finish, esp for little ones with a short attention span.

My only issue was the lack of anything other than FRS chews on the course.  This is totally my own fault for not reading the prerace info, but the Gatorade was either the Endurance formula (now Pro?) or it was mixed very strong.  Either way, ran into issues with it right away.  Had never tried the chews and already having stomach issues, didn't want to chance it.

So I stuck to water and estimate that I took in about 50 calories (Gatorade at the very beginning) for the entire race.  I'm slow & was out there over 2 hrs.  Finished on fumes.
2010-05-21 3:11 PM

I was out there doing the half. I think my biggest issue was that all the water stations along colfax were on the same side (and the road was crowned) so it was definitely no good for my quasimodo legs.

Also, they didn't have any vegetarian options for the post-race party; so I was left with coleslaw and miscellaneous stuff I could bum off the race sponsors (yogurt, cherry tomatoes) after two hours of running.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colorado Colfax Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed