Tampa, Florida
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 48/170
Pre-race routine:

We just walked to the start no warm up. My dad had to park in the back 50 and my mom and I waited for him. My mom and dad do the 1 mile walk as they are both cancer survivors and former Moffitt patients. My mom has rheumatoid arthritis and post polio syndrome so a mile is a good poke for her but she loves doing this one.
Event warmup:

none
Run
  • 30m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this is not my "official time" (see above lap data) This was my time as I passed thru 3.11 miles on my Garmin. Garmin has distance of 3.36 miles in 33:56. I did a lot of bobbing and weaving thru the crowds so that might be why. Best pace was 7:52?????????? WOW and I actually ran the first mile sub 9 minutes YAY ME. OK so that was probably WAY too fast for me right now and my pace completely fell apart but I have to take small victories (esp in running) when I can get them as they are few and far between. Took my first walk break in mile 2 and STILL managed to be sub 10 minutes then things really fell apart and lots of walking occured. My HR was quite high for me at over 170 and I took a bunch of walk breaks. I passed the 5K mark at 30:16. There are probably more walkers than runners in this 5K so I did a TON of bobbing and weaving the first 2 miles....I mean when do I EVER pass people running seriously. I'm not sure if the Garmin is off the course is off or I just ran and extra quater mile bobbing and weaving. The course was changed this year. I think the last time I ran a 5K was this race 2 years ago. For my second run in roughly 6 weeks I'll take it :) Maybe I need to do more 5Ks

What would you do differently?:

not be injured so I could actually train.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and found my parents. Also saw Renee which was nice. They had a thing for the survivors and I took pictures.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Innjuries resulting in not being able to train the run the last 6 weeks or so. I probably took it out too fast but whatever.

Event comments:

This is year five for this race and I have done it all five years. Its grown so much and has raised over a half million dollars for cancer research so far. First year I ran with Christine and Renee and Jeff and Betsy won their age groups. The next year Pete proposed to Terri at the finish. 3rd year they did away with the 5 miler and its my 5K PB. Last year I ran with Janice and it was the same day as Terri's memorial and Tom's wedding so I have a lot of emotion at this race. Too many people with cancer. Too. Many

Last updated: 2010-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:16 | 03.11 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/170
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Lap Data Lap Time Distance Pace/Speed AHR MHR 1 08m 46s 1.00 miles 08m 46s /mile 158 172 2 09m 56s 1.00 miles 09m 56s /mile 168 173 3 11m 09s 1.00 miles 11m 09s /mile 166 175 4 04m 02s 0.36 miles 11m 14s /mile 169 176
Course: Loop around the USF/Moffitt campus
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-15 6:39 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Miles for Moffitt

2010-05-15 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2860947

User image

Subject: RE: Miles for Moffitt
I am so happy for you that you had a good race, especially since you have not been able to run at all for a while now.  Congrats and hope to see you later this year!
2010-05-17 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2861106

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: Miles for Moffitt
Great job at an emotional race.  This one is always a toughy.  I had a hard time keeping it together, too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miles for Moffitt Rss Feed