Henderson, Nevada
United States
Iron Girl
Total Time = 2h 32m 1s
Overall Rank = 440/800?
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 99/120
Pre-race routine:

I ate some cereal and a banana at my house. I got there about an hour before the event started which was the perfect amount of time to get my transition area setup, get on my wetsuit, and head down to the lake without feeling rushed.
Event warmup:

Nothing. The way the swim was set up, it was not possible to get in the water before the start. We had to access the lake from a narrow enterance at the hotel that held the event. They had us form a huge line and just go in a few at a time (the gated off area did not have a lot of shoreline). I was in the middle of this big line and got in the water after waiting about 10-15 mins.
Swim
  • 23m 32s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goggles fogged up. I bumped into people. People bumped into me. In order to avoid bumping into people, I ending up swiming a little off course. I probably swam a couple extra 100 meters.Oops. Had a little trouble catching my breath for most of the swim, not sure why.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I keep checking where the bouyes are so I don't get too far off course.
Transition 1
  • 07m 53s
Comments:

Ok, I can explain that time, really. The distance from the lake to the transition area was pretty far.I'm not sure how far, but it felt far. I knew this ahead of time, so I left a pair of flip flops by the walkway that led to transition. I came out of the water, totally disoriented, and it took me a minute to 1) run in the correct direction and 2) find my flip flops (because I did not want to run across blacktop in the desert heat). So then, there was the wetsuit. I had a little wrestling match with it, and the suit was winning for a while, but I finally got it off.Of course this is what my husband records on video, as he and my oldest son were hanging out near transition.So after that it was pretty smooth sailing.

Practice getting off the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 33s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 13.71 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was hilly. The first half was pretty much uphill, so I was getting passed a lot, but the end was mostly downhill so it was a good way to finish.The bike was my biggest concern, so I was pretty happy that I survived all the climbing and did not have to get off the bike and walk it at all.

Nothing. I just need to train more on the bike in the future, but I felt that I was as prepared as I needed to be for this race as my only goal was finishing.
Transition 2
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

As I came into tranistion, I was happy to see my friend Joe. His wife is a spinning instructor at my gym and he sold me my 1st used road bike. He was volunteering, directing people into transtion.
This transtion was much smoother than the first.

Nothing.
Run
  • 35m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

This course SUCKED! It was a trail run through the desert. We basically run up and down a bunch of hills covered in dirt, sand, and rocks.I started running out of transition, but had to stop when I hit the 1st hill. I ended up run/walking the whole course. I was sure my time would be over 40 mins. So it was a nice surprise to find out I wasn't as slow as I thought. But I felt like I was just dragging along for the 1st mile. After that, I started to feel a little better and started running more than I was walking.

Do a different course? Nothing. Running up dirt hills just sucks. I guess in the future I need to do more bricks and practice running some trails.
Post race
Warm down:

4 year old T-ball game. No, seriously. As soon as transition opened, I was participating in another race called "get your ass home right now, so you can get your kid into his uniform and get to T-ball on time".

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Besides the 20lbs I still need to lose? Nothing.

Event comments:

Great first race. I would do this one again next year. Overall, I'm happy because I performed about how I thought I would. My goal for this race was to complete, not to compete, and I did that. Had fun, no pressure. And now I can say that I'm a triathlete.

Last updated: 2010-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:32 | 875 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/120
Overall: 374/800?
Performance: Good
Suit: full body wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:53
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:33 | 18.64 miles | 13.71 mile/hr
Overall: 537/800?
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:37 | 03.11 miles | 11m 27s  min/mile
Overall: 412/800?
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-15 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Iron Girl Las Vegas

2010-05-15 9:11 PM
in reply to: #2861073

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Las Vegas
WTG for your first Tri!  This was my first tri as well!! :-) I agree about the run course...that just suuuucked! :-)

LMK if you are ever interested in biking together and get involved with BLV to improve your times, that's how I learned how to ride...:-)

I had so much fun, and I hope you did too.
2010-05-16 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Great Job!!!! I bet it feels pretty good to call yourself a triathlete! Have you already started thinking about what you are going to do next??? -  Again, awesome race! Robin
2010-05-17 1:16 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Awesome job!!!  First one is done...now what's next!?  You really did do a great job for your first triathlon.  I'd be super proud of myself if I were you!
2010-05-26 3:40 PM

Jackie,
 Wow. You have really impressed and inspired me. I only want to complete the Iron Girl in 1 years time and I think with the knowledge you passed on to me I can do that. Of course who knows I might be ready to try a few things before that. My concern is not haveing all the right equipment, ie road bike, wet suit etc. But I will just have to wait and see. My first purchase is going to be some good running shoes. I am following the couch to 5k as advised and see that as totally doable. I can't wait to meet you Sunday just remember to take pity on me.

2010-05-26 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2884245

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Great job!  I've seen this race on TV and can only imagine that run.  Tough!  Iron Girl does a good job with races, it's a great way to do a first tri. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Las Vegas Rss Feed