Syttende Mai Run
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 03m 15s
Overall Rank = 196/363
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 24/39
Pre-race routine:

Took the first shuttle bus from Stoughton up to the Capital Square. Arrived plenty early. After getting my number I headed over to the farmer's market for a donut. Sat around trying to stay warm and just relaxed.
Event warmup:

Did some light stretching, but nothing else to speak of.
Run
  • 3h 03m 15s
  • 20 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Plan was to shoot for sub 3-hours. At the 15-mile mark I was still pretty much on pace. The hills really did get the best of me.

Miles 1-5 were fairly uneventful, done in 44:08. Ipod died near the end of mile one. Was going to be a long quiet run. Took first gel at end of mile 4 leading into the aid station at mile 5. Where I also took a quick bathroom break.

Miles 6-10 done in 45:09. Took another gel just prior to the 10-mile aid station, where I also took my first walk break. At roughly the 7-mile mark we started catching up to the walkers who started at the 3-mile mark of our course throughout the morning. From here on it was a bit like running through a crowded mall. People walking 3-5-6 wide, not going in a straight line, arms flailing everywhere, completely oblivious to everything around them. Fun times.

Miles 11-15 done in 45:54. Hills were really starting to get to me, and they started to really impact my pace. Mile splits in this segment ranged from 8:44 to 9:33, and it was largely dependent on the hills. Runners really thinned out in this stretch as well and I pretty much ran on my own from here on out. Hard to pace off anyone with no one around. Third gel at the mile 15 aid station, where I was surprised to find my family. Walked again for a stretch.

Miles 16-20 done in 47:26. Yeah. Somewhere in mile 16-17 I caught someone in a donkai jersey. I think it was jmwebs. Spotted the carrot shortly after the start and periodically 100-200 yds up the road throughout the race. When I finally did pass him it was either talk or run, no where near enough left to do both, so I ran, intending to track him down at the finish.

Took a short walk break again at mile 17, and then a last gel and a last walk at mile 18 and ran it in from there. Hard last two miles, but worth it to be done. Garmin measured the course a bit long but not bad.

Crossed the line and felt an immediate need to lay/lie? down in the grass, which I did for quite some time before getting up. Calves and hamstrings were really tight. Ate some oranges and a banana before heading out with the family.

Surprisingly, I actually feel pretty good today. Legs aren't screaming like I thought they would be. My toes hurt, but other than that, pretty good considering.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know, with setting a 3:00 goal I don't think I could go out much slower. Fastest mile in the first 5 was 8:46. I never felt like I was pushing early. I think given the course and my fitness level, 3:00 may have been a bit of a stretch. Normally I'd say next time, but I don't think I'll do this race again. Small race field that was way spread out at the end, large walk field that could really monopolize a road, and then there is the course itself. Tough race.
Post race

Last updated: 2010-05-16 12:00 AM
Running
03:03:15 | 20 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/39
Overall: 196/363
Performance: Good
Course: That is a lot of hills. Really hilly course. I knew it going in, but running it was a lot harder than biking it.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No