United States
Sugarloaf Main
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 35m
Overall Rank = 282/339
Age Group = 36
Age Group Rank = 9/15
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel, walked around the start line with Beth. Used the porta-potties.
Event warmup:

Some light stretching. Not much really.
Run
  • 4h 35m 1s
  • 26.22 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I am not surprised with my time. I injured my calf in early April and have not been able to run since. Most of my training has been on the bike. So I came into this race just to have fun and to try to finish - not gunning for a PR.

Ofcourse, I started out too fast. I ran 9 minute miles for the first 9-10 miles, where the first hills are. I realized I was going to hard given my training and reeled it in, and it took me some time to recover from that mistake. I think I would have been faster overall if I had run slower from the start (10min miles).

I had a dark time in the run, miles 13-15, unusual because the tough time is usually around mile 21-24. Once I broke through that tough time, I was able to keep going fairly strong. My calf injury started growling around mile 20, and I walked the water stations after that. I generally threw the water on my head and drank what I carried.

I did the Blais roll at the finish, and I don't think anyone had any idea what I was doing.
What would you do differently?:

Not start out so fast. That was my biggest mistake. And maybe not get injured 4 weeks out from the race. That would be cool.
Post race
Warm down:

Some walking, eating, drinking fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My calf injury, my lack of running these past few weeks.

Event comments:

I loved this race. It is a no-frills (no swag) small, but super well organized race. No big crowds to cheer you on, but the folks who are there are super supportive. Really great volunteers. All the runners I interacted with were awesome too.

Last updated: 2009-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
04:35:01 | 26.22 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 282/339
Performance: Good
Course: The setting for the race is breathtaking as it follows the Maine Scenic Highway – Route 27, winding through the beautiful mountains of Western Maine. The course starts in Eustis, travels through Carrabassett Valley, and ends in Kingfield. The course is rolling, and the last 16 miles are not downhill as the website says. Awesome nonetheless!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-16 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Subject: Sugarloaf Marathon

2010-05-17 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2861927

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Sugarloaf Marathon
Congratulations! A friend of mine finished 22...and had a great time too. I'm thinking about putting this one on my list for next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sugarloaf Marathon Rss Feed